Buying Nissan Skyline R35

NeniNeniBoBo

Known Member
Jan 8, 2009
If GTR35 is what u looking, I suggest u to go for year 2009 gtr35(or UK spec), with the latest transmission software build in, this is suggested by "Norman" from our local GTR35 forum. To own gtr35, u must change your transmission oil on time, especially the 1st and 2nd time, u will be surprise to see how dirty inside there, and clutch learning must be done to arrange your plate pressure... Besides that, wrong driving method will make your gearbox history(Even u upgrade your gearbox)
Suggestion is get an 09 Gtr35> change all lubricant by pro> clutch learning> drive in correct way while at the same time slowly upgrade your transmission gear(eg: circlips, clutch basket, tranny cooler etc)

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
am working as marine engineer on ship bro..so normally will b sailing 4 to 5 months then bak home for a month o 2 n sail bak..so this monster will b used mostly during on my holiday..other than that my mum will drive it around..so women's driving wont spoil much i guess....hihihi....whats ur ride now bro?was following sum thread n i guess its R34 rite?aw is da baby coping?
Still have it but don't drive much. I've managed just over 6000km since Nov 2009 haha. When I was younger, I used to have the R34, a V9 STI Spec C and 350z all at one time but I've sold the other two. Not in line with my priorities so bought one Hilux for KL but traded with Dad's Fortuner but I'm still short of one car at the moment. Ideally I need a sedan for KL, 4WD for Perlis and the GTR is my gift to myself I guess haha.

Anyways, one of our regular members in the past Russell did something along the lines of what you do. He'd be away for like 3 months at a time working on oil rigs all over the world etc. You guys get paid massive amounts of cash! But I guess its only fair given the personal sacrifices.

If your Mum needs a driver while you're away... :rolleyes: J/K I'd break it for sure.

If GTR35 is what u looking, I suggest u to go for year 2009 gtr35(or UK spec), with the latest transmission software build in, this is suggested by "Norman" from our local GTR35 forum. To own gtr35, u must change your transmission oil on time, especially the 1st and 2nd time, u will be surprise to see how dirty inside there, and clutch learning must be done to arrange your plate pressure... Besides that, wrong driving method will make your gearbox history(Even u upgrade your gearbox)
Suggestion is get an 09 Gtr35> change all lubricant by pro> clutch learning> drive in correct way while at the same time slowly upgrade your transmission gear(eg: circlips, clutch basket, tranny cooler etc)
Damn, so no daily launches :bawling:

Last edited:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
if we put the maintenance costs aside, oh my, it is a SUPERB car to drive! the transmission, the brakes, it made me speechless!!!

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
From this thread, I've got the assumption the R35 is too manja when compared to its predecessors.

I'm thinking of leaving the R35 for weekend binges uphill and making the sturdy BNR32 as a daily driver!

Cheh! Talking like I have one.. :biggrin:

shark79

500 RPM
Sep 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
classicjapanesecars.blogspot.com
the culprit is the launch control..not the gearbox...34's are more driver oriented compared to GTR's...nevertheless is amazing machine. There are lots of 34gtr's for sale the trick is to get the get right one

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
the culprit is the launch control..not the gearbox...34's are more driver oriented compared to GTR's...nevertheless is amazing machine. There are lots of 34gtr's for sale the trick is to get the get right one
I don't think the R35 is any less of a driver oriented car. But the huge jump in technology and sophisticated electronics over previous GTRs comes at a cost which seems to be maintenance and reliability (compared to robustness of previous GTRs).

And that launch control. Sigh. GTRs are all about the launches. But isn't it the launch control which is the culprit for gearbox issues?

The R32 to R34 GTRs have so much in common and difference is obviously design and improved versions of the same systems like ATTESSA and HICAS to name a few. The R35 is totally alien but in time when the next GTR and the one after that is introduced, they'd probably have a lot in common between them.

I think all GTRs are fantastic and we're just helping Pravind decide on which to buy. :driver:

Last edited:

tony5050

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Hi guys,

I reckon is a little bit unfair if we keep comparing it back with the earlier R32-34. Having the 34 and 35, what i can say is this. For the 32-34 to drive and fly like the stock 35, I don't know how. You can have more power and torque then the 35 but drivability, I doubt so.

Daily driver, no where that a 550bhp BNR can come near. Well at least your left foot is busy. I've traveling and going to work with the CBR for the last 2 years with now 35k km from new, no major issues for me.

It's a new imported 2008 with chasis 36xx and the transmission software was the older version where is not really good to drive in auto mode but got all those sorted out locally. Now many shops in KL can perform a lot of maintenance on the GTR as long as they have the right diagnostic tools namely the Consult.

Engine oil is motul, like the one I have for the RB26. transmission oil is good for 10-15k if there's no overheating of it. I do transmission oil on the 34 often too to make sure it stays fit.

Although the aftermarket parts are now 'still' rather expensive to buy, but I think it will come down through time. I remember how much was the HKS Hiper exhaust system for the 34 back in 2002, what, about 4k cheaper compared to those for R35 today?

Anyway, I love GTRs. Nissan tried hard to bring the GTR to the higher level playing ground in global super cars category, in their performance at least if not the brand and physical outlook.
And with the car selling well in the US, browse the net for parts you would need from US, you'll be surprise to see what US has done for the car. Japanese companies has now much lesser aftermarket parts for the car compared to US.

Conclusion, R32-34 and R35, they are GTRs but I cant think of a good way to relate them in an overall way. Love them all.

Tony

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi guys,

I reckon is a little bit unfair if we keep comparing it back with the earlier R32-34. Having the 34 and 35, what i can say is this. For the 32-34 to drive and fly like the stock 35, I don't know how. You can have more power and torque then the 35 but drivability, I doubt so.

Daily driver, no where that a 550bhp BNR can come near. Well at least your left foot is busy. I've traveling and going to work with the CBR for the last 2 years with now 35k km from new, no major issues for me.

It's a new imported 2008 with chasis 36xx and the transmission software was the older version where is not really good to drive in auto mode but got all those sorted out locally. Now many shops in KL can perform a lot of maintenance on the GTR as long as they have the right diagnostic tools namely the Consult.

Engine oil is motul, like the one I have for the RB26. transmission oil is good for 10-15k if there's no overheating of it. I do transmission oil on the 34 often too to make sure it stays fit.

Although the aftermarket parts are now 'still' rather expensive to buy, but I think it will come down through time. I remember how much was the HKS Hiper exhaust system for the 34 back in 2002, what, about 4k cheaper compared to those for R35 today?

Anyway, I love GTRs. Nissan tried hard to bring the GTR to the higher level playing ground in global super cars category, in their performance at least if not the brand and physical outlook.
And with the car selling well in the US, browse the net for parts you would need from US, you'll be surprise to see what US has done for the car. Japanese companies has now much lesser aftermarket parts for the car compared to US.

Conclusion, R32-34 and R35, they are GTRs but I cant think of a good way to relate them in an overall way. Love them all.

Tony
I agree with what you're saying. But the OP brought up the R34 as an alternative which is what led to the discussion on the differences, etc. And since cost was brought up, its only natural to highlight the differences, etc.

No doubt all GTRs are fantastic, its just a question of him finding the right one for him.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
well at least its a good read and an awesome write up from a gt-r owner, least something i could expect if i ever do own one in the near future

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
[PIMPIN];1063518473 said:
We all get carried away hahah. Driven by passion. :biggrin:
must be getting late, and therefore, my eyes are blurry...

i thought i read "driven by poison"... :rofl:

brian@ams

Known Member
Apr 22, 2011
West Chicago/IL
agreed bro..tats why am not looking for heavy modded skyline..am looking for near stock version so tat i can tune da baby myself n noe him in n out..cuz tats wat separate us the true skyline fan from a wanna be...thx for advice too bro...will let ya noe when i got it d..i always notice u all goin tea tarik session..soon will join u all if its not a trouble for u all...cheers...

Regards,
Pravin

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

about the gearbox prob...this is da answer i got from a sifu...

"you can solve the gearbox problem by updating the gearbox software by using Nissan Diagnostic Tools "Consult III"."

so its not an issue after all..
Pravin,

From what you stated throughout your posts, I'd say the R35 is the way to go. As I recall 1) total cost of ownership is not an issue. 2) You are looking for a vehicle that is not heavily modded (easier to find an R35 in such condition which will help retain value and give you a clean slate to work off of). 3) This would be more of a weekend car since you work offshore most of the time so performing maintenance would occur less frequently. (Sometimes a few hours downtime for maintenance is just as frustrating if not more than the cost associated with it) 4) You would only launch or race if you had to. Hmm? :hmmmm: You'd probably find that most people around town who challenge you are not worth your time anyway and they already know that.

If you decide to go with the R35, things I would recommend (two of them as stated by NeniNeniBoBo) Replacing the circlip is important and simple to do. 1st gear upgrade if you find yourself launching more than you originally expected to or if want more peace of mind. And because of the hot weather, a transmission cooling unit.

Good luck with your search!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
R34 are not hard to find. I've seen quite a number advertised on Mudah and ZTH. The really rare one is the V-Spec.

Having said that, now about the R35. I'm no pro or sifu in this and these cars would probably be out of my reach in my lifetime. But I am a follower as I'm a fan of it. Just don't use the "launch control". It will fk up the tranny and void the warranty of the car! Came out in the news last time. Using launch control, the car can only be used up to 4 times before busting the tranny. Then yo'll need a complete gearbox change. And Nissan stated in the warranty that they do not cover for damages if launch control is used. :burnout:

I've seen some comments above stating that the gearbox has problem. Well, no. It does not have problem and won't give you problem as long as launch control is not used. So since you said you bought it from a friend, ask him whether if the launch control was used before.

And about the plasma lined engine, it is okay. Going for a recoat is best. But without doing it, i reckon that it will still be highly drivable and raceable even. As the coatings are used to reduce friction. They are similar to nikasil coated cylinder walls in older high revving engines such the 2ZZ-GE and VTECs. We still see many godly VTECs and Yamaha around right?

Last edited:

khoyos

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2003
Shah Alam
i do not own r35 but my close friend has one and i followed his maintenance and basic upgrading path. drove his car during slow drives, had a few "tutoring" laps in SIC and "raced" with him on MEX highway with my old junk.

basically, the gearbox problem is as per the above replies: updated versions have lower launch control rpm level so that alone is enough to extend the lifespan of the gearbox. and on the contrary to what other people claim, there are parts (OEM or aftermarket - enhanced) to rebuild GTR gearboxes and if u send to the right people, it wouldnt cost as much as some owners experienced.

for upgrading, a simple change of full exhaust system (hks in the region of 8k, or meisterschaft/tubi for more "rempit" sound) and reflash of cobb accessport (with increase in boost pressure) will yield nearly 100whp over stock. that is already enough for the 1st year and enough to kill F430s on the road (proven).

maintenance-wise, yes the brake rotors are super expensive, the tyres will make people like me cry but for such performance and level of engineering, it is quite acceptable. my friend didnt even blink an eye when he was quoted the prices for rotors and tyres hahaha. i think basically if u can afford to buy the car, u can definitely afford to maintain and upgrade it.

i highly recommend ATS as they are very knowledgeable in GTR maintenance, repairs and upgrading. they are also willing to teach GTR owners on the functions of the car. my friend previously sent to Links. some things happened at Links that made him look for another workshop that can take care of his car without being kept in the dark on what did he actually pay for (plus burning big big holes in his pocket).

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

URgent !!!! every member in ZTH please help , if u saw this white toyota alphard with WSQ 3334 please call 0111-6128628 (voltex)

SPEC
1.Aftermarket sportrim
2.without sun roof
3.interior brownish colour
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience