Buying a Lancer Evo?

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
I think I found the comparison between GSR and MR. it is in GTchannel in YouTube. Comparison between 8 GSR and evo 8 MR.

A very good half and hour video. The differences are suspension and a 4kg less weight. The handling is much better from GSR during slalom. And the weight reduction helps a lot in the down force stability.

BUT the different in time is just 1 second :biggrin:

For a normal slow driver like me I don't think MR will bring me any difference.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
That's why autozine termed MR as "minor Revision". It is more like a collector's special edition than a real big difference. The weight reduction of 4kg is not much difference for daily driving and for track conditions, it can easily be achieved by ditching rear seats. But I think what's good is the different suspension.... So if one wants to use it as a daily drive, better with the GSR...

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
I think I found the comparison between GSR and MR. it is in GTchannel in YouTube. Comparison between 8 GSR and evo 8 MR.

A very good half and hour video. The differences are suspension and a 4kg less weight. The handling is much better from GSR during slalom. And the weight reduction helps a lot in the down force stability.

BUT the different in time is just 1 second :biggrin:

For a normal slow driver like me I don't think MR will bring me any difference.
That is for VIII
VIII and IX is difference

Difference between VIII and VIII MR:
1.)Aluminum roof
2.)BBS Rim(Lighter)
3.)Bilstein Shock instead of KYB
4.)Alcantara seat for VIII MR and in black colour with red Recaro wording on front seat
5.)Some cam difference AFAIK(Not so sure)
6.)Different colour option
7.)2004 Model Year instead of 2003

Difference between IX and IX MR:
1.)Red Stitching for IX MR
2.)Some minor chrome interior bits(a/c vent adjuster)
3.)15G Compressor Wheel Turbo instead of 16G
4.)Front lip for IX MR(same as USDM IX SE)
5.)Different colour option
6.)2006 Model Year instead of 2005

As for the premium between both generation,to each his own i guess

artworkz

500 RPM
Jul 3, 2008
JB
evo 9 have mivec( variable cam timing. not valve lift) for intake . evo 8 and 8.5 dun have mivec.

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
Guys thanks a lot for the replies. Very helpful. That is what I said, it is just a split of a second of different between 2 models.

But the 4kg reduction is helpful in the stability and down force. Evo ix mr uses Bilstein suspension as well. According to the driver in YouTube gtchannel, it does effect some performance but very minimum

So to stop this discussion from going on, from my point of view, the differences between Evo iX MR and GSR is very minimum. Which does not effect average driving skill driver.

It is better and economical to get a GSR but if the MR is at a resistible price, why not right?

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
Guys thanks a lot for the replies. Very helpful. That is what I said, it is just a split of a second of different between 2 models.

But the 4kg reduction is helpful in the stability and down force. Evo ix mr uses Bilstein suspension as well. According to the driver in YouTube gtchannel, it does effect some performance but very minimum

So to stop this discussion from going on, from my point of view, the differences between Evo iX MR and GSR is very minimum. Which does not effect average driving skill driver.

It is better and economical to get a GSR but if the MR is at a resistible price, why not right?
4kg at top of COG does help with handling
Downforce,nope
EVO VIII MR,EVO IX,EVO IX MR and EVO X all use Bilstein strut
These are excellent strut for OEM car as they have been nicely tune and give a good balance between performance and comfort(relatively speaking lar,and Bilstein>KYB in term of comfort)
For the price difference between both,that is something you yourself only can answer

Jonathan Leong

From Facebook
Aug 29, 2010
www.facebook.com
That is for VIII
VIII and IX is difference

Difference between VIII and VIII MR:
1.)Aluminum roof
2.)BBS Rim(Lighter)
3.)Bilstein Shock instead of KYB
4.)Alcantara seat for VIII MR and in black colour with red Recaro wording on front seat
5.)Some cam difference AFAIK(Not so sure)
6.)Different colour option
7.)2004 Model Year instead of 2003

Difference between IX and IX MR:
1.)Red Stitching for IX MR
2.)Some minor chrome interior bits(a/c vent adjuster)
3.)15G Compressor Wheel Turbo instead of 16G
4.)Front lip for IX MR(same as USDM IX SE)
5.)Different colour option
6.)2006 Model Year instead of 2005

As for the premium between both generation,to each his own i guess
i think crankshaft got diff too.btw if watch the video can see the mr really pull away quite far from the e8.

EVOFans

Known Member
Aug 29, 2006
i think crankshaft got diff too.btw if watch the video can see the mr really pull away quite far from the e8.
Crankshaft i believe is same design for EVO IV-IX MR
You mean camshaft?VIII MR did have different camshaft from VIII,yes

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
guys if u dont mind I was looking for one sale thread of evo 8 if i'm not mistaken by one of the mloc members but I couldn't find it after few days trying searching it. The car was very powerful/good with price around 145K. I only remember one distinct features that the buyer insist to see which is the possible buyer to have at least 40-45K in cash in her/his bank account prior to see his car bcoz he said loan only can be approved up to 100K. appreciate if any of you guys know on this thread to share it with me. thanks

ONEshot_3121

Jan 21, 2006
selangor
guys if u dont mind I was looking for one sale thread of evo 8 if i'm not mistaken by one of the mloc members but I couldn't find it after few days trying searching it. The car was very powerful/good with price around 145K. I only remember one distinct features that the buyer insist to see which is the possible buyer to have at least 40-45K in cash in her/his bank account prior to see his car bcoz he said loan only can be approved up to 100K. appreciate if any of you guys know on this thread to share it with me. thanks
bro, i dont know for the thread that u r looking for...but what he said is true..evo 8 loan approved up to 100k only(market price is 145k)...this is my exp when i buy evo 8 early this month...if u r from sel/k.l area, its hard to find direct loan...means u need to find dealer to apply loan that will cost u around 2k or below because of u need to use their invoice...bank will not simply give u direct loan due to "high risk" car..i try at am bank kajang and they said, we at am bank here will not entertain anymore this type of car because of slalu kete kene curi and owner lari x bayar hutang:biggrin:.. f from used car, yes it can...

so in my case, im buying this evo from kedah(direct owner) which is the previous loan was made there...so, im applying loan at kedah at he same bank which the previous owner have been done...in 3 day the bank call me said loan approved:proud:..this is just my exp to share with u.. hope u will be able to find ur dream car..cheers:party:

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
ONEshot_3121 appreciate your inputs on this. that car in thread was great one. lucky u bro to get ur dream car oldy

mynameisduku

Jul 14, 2010
JB
bro, i dont know for the thread that u r looking for...but what he said is true..evo 8 loan approved up to 100k only(market price is 145k)...this is my exp when i buy evo 8 early this month...if u r from sel/k.l area, its hard to find direct loan...means u need to find dealer to apply loan that will cost u around 2k or below because of u need to use their invoice...bank will not simply give u direct loan due to "high risk" car..i try at am bank kajang and they said, we at am bank here will not entertain anymore this type of car because of slalu kete kene curi and owner lari x bayar hutang:biggrin:.. f from used car, yes it can...

so in my case, im buying this evo from kedah(direct owner) which is the previous loan was made there...so, im applying loan at kedah at he same bank which the previous owner have been done...in 3 day the bank call me said loan approved:proud:..this is just my exp to share with u.. hope u will be able to find ur dream car..cheers:party:
this is what i did to get my evo :biggrin:. i just went to bank islam for 4.5%-5.5% interest for personal loan and buy my evo in cash. the loan can go up to 200k and repayment period around 1.8k/month up to 15 years. it easier n hassle free. just an option :biggrin:

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
this is what i did to get my evo :biggrin:. i just went to bank islam for 4.5%-5.5% interest for personal loan and buy my evo in cash. the loan can go up to 200k and repayment period around 1.8k/month up to 15 years. it easier n hassle free. just an option :biggrin:
Is that possible to avrg ppl bro? Seems bank islam rate quite low for a personal loan. Need big cable or not to get this loan?

khsim

Known Member
Apr 16, 2009

bro....i know who's u r talking about....but so far he decide dun wan to sell the car...:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey ppl!!
mind sharing with me on this topic?
any idea how can i flush out all the dirty stuffs from the radiator?

and also... i heard ppl say, coolant isnt recommended rite? coz it will rust yr radiator or something? hehehe..

thanks!! :D
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience