5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
Temujin: can 34 join too...

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi Guys,

I'm Brian, been owning and driving BMW's for many years, i'm 52 years old, recently i decided to go on the 'wild side' when a childhood buddy of mine offered me to buy his 1989 BNR32 GTR. (original, not a convert)

It looked like a great deal cos the car is stock standard and very very low mileage as the car is mostly garaged. Bodywork is excellent and straight with still the Gunmetal Grey. Car drives very well and undercarriage is very tight. Engine has no strange sounds when cold.

However the price is Rm95K for this beauty. I know this R32 GTR has a long history and a legend with a very rare status. But do give me your views if Rm95K is reasonable to buy.

I would really appreciate and value your views.
Thanks
Well, how passionate are you about GTRs? It's going to be quite a transition from years of BMW ownership to a Japanese car that is over two decades old. Regardless of how low the mileage is and whether its garaged all the time, bear in mind that there will be many things that need replacing. Don't worry about performance upgrades, there are many options for you be it wild or mild.

That aside, your main query is whether or not the car at RM95k is reasonable. Only you can answer that question because we have no idea how long your flirtation with the 'wild side' will last. If you're going to sell it in six months then obviously there are much better options out there that are more than adequate of giving you that adrenaline rush. But if its something that you are most likely to keep perhaps indefinitely then by all means go for it - we only live once! :driver:

It's obvious you can afford to buy it but before you do, how about you come to one of our gatherings or drives up to Goh Tong Jaya. I'm sure there will be no shortage of offers to ride shotgun and you'll be bombarded with more information that you'll know what to do with.

Oh, and you'll meet a bunch of great guys. Some aren't quite sane, bordering on psycho though. Most of us are somewhat younger but the great thing about Skyline owners is that age has never mattered. Look forward to meeting you. :wavey:

fyi, im in the midst to bring in BNR32 either from japan or UK..but the price now days very2 expensive. After i calculate everything (landed) the total price for the said car close to RM 108!..and yes BNR32 is extremely rare spesis in market...somebody called me last week and he is looking for the said car and willing to pay more than rm110k!:nurse:

its hard cash and no loan anymore...:biggrin:
Student AP? Anyway, the R32 isn't rare since they were the most produced out of all the modern Skylines.

what is the impact of this Classic Car AP Status? does it mean any one can import 25 year old GTR32 without having to know datuks with APs?
I'm curious how this would affect the R32 GTR market price too.

If I am not mistaken, Classic cars enjoy a lower customs and excise duty bracket.
How does it work do you know? Like criteria for application etc.

Temujin: can 34 join too...
Can bro, the R34s all bring up the rear because we kena tarpau with the Barneys :driver:

brianj

Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey thanks very much guys for so much valuable input. I can see the passion you guys have in owning the skyline. To respond to some questions & input:

feezdya: Its great to know that people are still offering 110K. Looking fwd to your 'new' r32 on the way.

V-Spec: Thanks for the welcome, and yes i have decided to go for this Skyline that I'm now pursuing. The car is not #1991 :)

gobiz2: Thanks for the advice on the oil pump issue, i'll keep that on the very important list. Nope the car is not Tengku Mahaleel's. I do know his car but his is not in really good shape

[PIMPIN]: Hi thanks for your sharing. Well... lets put it this way.... my passion for the r32 Skylines began when i saw their performance at JTCC and Bathurst back in 1989, it was just awesome, nothing matched it. When i did want to go get myself a R32 gtr about 5 years back, it was almost impossible.
So now I'm exchanging my 1989 BMW E34 for a 1989 R32. No worries with old cars as I'm familiar with cranky old cars.
Anyway here's the link to my old BMW:

Why An Orange Thirty-4......

I guess i'll definitely be keeping this 32 for a long time. I'm planning to keep the engine mostly stock, no 'wild' mods. I think the stock is enough for this old man... haha...

I would definitely love to come join you guys for your drives one of these days. Looking forward to meeting up with the sane and not so sane.. :biggrin:

cheers

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
Hi Brian, let me put it this way, my very close 'friend' owns a R32 GTR and he won't sell it for 1 sen less than RM150k. His car is not in good condition either.

Is this BNR32 previously owned by Tengku Mahaleel, ex-CEO of proton?
KN i kenal tak that person? i heard harga dia naik lagi la..dah 155k haha:rofl:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hey thanks very much guys for so much valuable input. I can see the passion you guys have in owning the skyline. To respond to some questions & input:

feezdya: Its great to know that people are still offering 110K. Looking fwd to your 'new' r32 on the way.

V-Spec: Thanks for the welcome, and yes i have decided to go for this Skyline that I'm now pursuing. The car is not #1991 :)

gobiz2: Thanks for the advice on the oil pump issue, i'll keep that on the very important list. Nope the car is not Tengku Mahaleel's. I do know his car but his is not in really good shape

[PIMPIN]: Hi thanks for your sharing. Well... lets put it this way.... my passion for the r32 Skylines began when i saw their performance at JTCC and Bathurst back in 1989, it was just awesome, nothing matched it. When i did want to go get myself a R32 gtr about 5 years back, it was almost impossible.
So now I'm exchanging my 1989 BMW E34 for a 1989 R32. No worries with old cars as I'm familiar with cranky old cars.
Anyway here's the link to my old BMW:

Why An Orange Thirty-4......

I guess i'll definitely be keeping this 32 for a long time. I'm planning to keep the engine mostly stock, no 'wild' mods. I think the stock is enough for this old man... haha...

I would definitely love to come join you guys for your drives one of these days. Looking forward to meeting up with the sane and not so sane.. :biggrin:

cheers
Brianj - You've pretty much answered your own question :) Look forward to seeing you on future runs :)

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
All this talk about the BNR32 has got me all excited. I'd love to trade in my car for a mint condition one!

As far as I know, the only criteria is for classic car status is age. I.e. 25 years and above.

I have done the calculations to bring in a 1989 batch R32 and it is circa 120 - 140k. So I doubt this would affect the local prices by much. It might in do the opposite instead AND increase or at least stabilize the prices.

To be fair, I did think of underdeclaring the age of the car, e.g. Bring in a V-Spec II R32. As such the 120k pricing may be a little off due to the premium commanded by the V-Spec II.

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
All this talk about the BNR32 has got me all excited. I'd love to trade in my car for a mint condition one!

As far as I know, the only criteria is for classic car status is age. I.e. 25 years and above.

I have done the calculations to bring in a 1989 batch R32 and it is circa 120 - 140k. So I doubt this would affect the local prices by much. It might in do the opposite instead AND increase or at least stabilize the prices.

To be fair, I did think of underdeclaring the age of the car, e.g. Bring in a V-Spec II R32. As such the 120k pricing may be a little off due to the premium commanded by the V-Spec II.
I wonder whether the classic car AP is available for personal applications or just for car importing companies.

In my humble opinion, if it was available for personal applications, I would've expected a lot more classic sports and performance cars being imported for example the Porsche 964s, Audi RS2s, etc.

I do know JPJ gives a huge roadtax discount to cars achieving classic car status of being 25 years or older, however the criteria is very strict with not a single modification allowed.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i think it would be incredibly difficult to bring in cars thru classic car APs, else you'd see cheap old european cars brought in for local consumption.

as far as i know, someone i knew paid about RM50K for an AP of a Rolls Royce. Never stated was it a normal AP or classic car AP. But I believe, he would have asked for a classic car AP, if he could have gotten one

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
Brianj,

Get it, Drive it and Keep it :)
Bro brian, this feller wants to sell his super clean whithy BNR32...go and offer him hehe..:biggrin:

am i right mr JK? wanna join me for RCA track day this coming friday?:driver:

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

If ur free this Sunday and in around KL, please do join us for breakfast :driver:
tak ajak sehhhh..sapa la aku!:rofl:

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
i think it would be incredibly difficult to bring in cars thru classic car APs, else you'd see cheap old european cars brought in for local consumption.

as far as i know, someone i knew paid about RM50K for an AP of a Rolls Royce. Never stated was it a normal AP or classic car AP. But I believe, he would have asked for a classic car AP, if he could have gotten one
Thinking is already a difficult activity for you so I don't suggest attempting to import cars.

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
[PIMPIN];1063768128 said:
Thinking is already a difficult activity for you so I don't suggest attempting to import cars.
Huh, I didn't indicate that I'd attempt to import any cars. I think you misread. Well anyways, back to the topic, shall we?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi to all...anyone knows the weight of tyres? i hope to know the weight of an 195/50 R15..and does it differ from brands? can anyone provide a figure??...and may i know if there is a light weight crossmember(where my lower arms is connected) & centermember (the ones my engine mounting sits on) in this market? im currently driving a wira 1.5 with an 4G92 Mivec.. Please acknowledge me...thanks..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience