Buying a BNR32 GTR

brianj

Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Guys,

I'm Brian, been owning and driving BMW's for many years, i'm 52 years old, recently i decided to go on the 'wild side' when a childhood buddy of mine offered me to buy his 1989 BNR32 GTR. (original, not a convert)

It looked like a great deal cos the car is stock standard and very very low mileage as the car is mostly garaged. Bodywork is excellent and straight with still the Gunmetal Grey. Car drives very well and undercarriage is very tight. Engine has no strange sounds when cold.

However the price is Rm95K for this beauty. I know this R32 GTR has a long history and a legend with a very rare status. But do give me your views if Rm95K is reasonable to buy.

I would really appreciate and value your views.
Thanks

cmng

3,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
1989 ?
the most early batch of GTR32

basically GTR32 is collection car now

pricing is determined on the car condition and how desperate you want it

it very very seldom you see a GTR32 for sale in malaysia market

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Hi Guys,

I'm Brian, been owning and driving BMW's for many years, i'm 52 years old, recently i decided to go on the 'wild side' when a childhood buddy of mine offered me to buy his 1989 BNR32 GTR. (original, not a convert)

It looked like a great deal cos the car is stock standard and very very low mileage as the car is mostly garaged. Bodywork is excellent and straight with still the Gunmetal Grey. Car drives very well and undercarriage is very tight. Engine has no strange sounds when cold.

However the price is Rm95K for this beauty. I know this R32 GTR has a long history and a legend with a very rare status. But do give me your views if Rm95K is reasonable to buy.

I would really appreciate and value your views.
Thanks
I'd do it in a heartbeat but having said that, the first batch of GTR32s will soon be eligible for classic car AP status. So keep that in mind.

Temujin

1,000 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Selangor
Visit site
The BNR32 comes once in a blue moon only, very rare and u'd be lucky to find one on sale.

There's never a high side on the sale price of such collectibles. As a collector's car, the BNR32 only applies to those with enough ability and interest to plonk such monies.

Just to give u an idea, I bought mine at around 80k+ while another friend brought one from the UK which came around to close the amount landed.

I wouldn't say 95k is expensive for a BNR32 especially if the car is as straight as u mentioned. Perhaps as Malaysians we would traditionally try to bargain for a discount, but nevertheless you'd get a lot of car for even 95k.

Once u purchased ur BNR32, please join us for the Sunday uphill drives. Would love to see more BNR32s.. :top:

Where u at anyways?

brianj

Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hey thanks Guys for your speedy response ( just as quick as your Skylines ..haha)

cmng: yes it is the most early batch. And yes, i ve not seen an ori r32 GTR for sale for a long time.

elsm80: yes it soon will be eligible for classic car AP, but saying that, even the classic car AP anin't cheap, cos a friend of mine is in the midst of bringing in 2 American classics with classic car AP, its not really cheap. Anyway just like you mentioned " how desperate are you?"......

Temujin: Yes i would consider myself lucky as its from my childhood buddy who's been treasuring the car. And i do know the history of it, been fortunate to drive it when he owned it too.
I guess 95K is neither expensive nor cheap, its really whether you want to own this icon or not?

I would probably take the dive into the 'wild side' and experience what owning a r32 gtr is all about.
After all we live once only.....hahaha....
I'm from Melaka, but work is in KL, so some weekends are back to Melaka.

Thanks again guys for your input and will keep this updated.
Cheers

feezdya

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2006
Pee Jay
www.takaful-ikhlas.com.my
fyi, im in the midst to bring in BNR32 either from japan or UK..but the price now days very2 expensive. After i calculate everything (landed) the total price for the said car close to RM 108!..and yes BNR32 is extremely rare spesis in market...somebody called me last week and he is looking for the said car and willing to pay more than rm110k!:nurse:

its hard cash and no loan anymore...:biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I'd do it in a heartbeat but having said that, the first batch of GTR32s will soon be eligible for classic car AP status. So keep that in mind.
what is the impact of this Classic Car AP Status? does it mean any one can import 25 year old GTR32 without having to know datuks with APs?

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Hi brianj, based on the responses I would deduce that you have already decided to go for it. Would be excellent to have a look at the car once you have it. And welcome to Skyline ownership. :)

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Brian, let me put it this way, my very close 'friend' owns a R32 GTR and he won't sell it for 1 sen less than RM150k. His car is not in good condition either.

Is this BNR32 previously owned by Tengku Mahaleel, ex-CEO of proton?

elsm80

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
what is the impact of this Classic Car AP Status? does it mean any one can import 25 year old GTR32 without having to know datuks with APs?
If I am not mistaken, Classic cars enjoy a lower customs and excise duty bracket.

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
Gobiz, that crossed my mind too.
TM's car has an aftermarket exhaust and wheels.

So brianj, is this the No. 1991 BNR32?

gobiz2

Known Member
Nov 11, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just a note, R32 GTRs pre-1993 had a significant issue with the oil pump.

The crank has a narrow oil pump drive.
When revved to the rev limiter, there is a risk of crank vibrations causing excessive clearance in the oil pump drive. The repeated hammering can cause the oil pump gerotors to shatter.

Mind you, the risk is small but has occurred frequently enough to be widely talked about.

Do check the oil pressure (according to BNR32 workshop manual, should be 1.5 bar @ 800rpm, 3 bar @ 2000rpm and 4.6 bar @ 6000rpm at engine oil temperature 80Celcius) , or whether the engine has had a rebuild with a thick collar oil pump drive installed.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how to increase the sound huh??coz i've been tried to adjust the soft and hard but the result is almost the same loh...which better? the hard of soft side??and the second adaptor which is located below the connection to the hose??what is the function?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience