Buying 2nd Hand Cars Experiences. Share at will.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

Dear ZTH Bros and Sisters,

I believe there are many of us here have all the experience in buying 2nd hand cars, trade ins and etcs.
So, I created this thread for everyone to share their experiences from choosing a 2nd hand car
and into buying the right one that they choose. Also their experiences with the salesman.

I'll be the 1st to start to share my experiences in looking for 2nd hand cars and buying them.
So far, I went hunting for 2nd hand cars again last weekend.

My 1st time I manage to buy a car that I have chosen and one of the main reason is because of the salesman, i decided to buy from him. Read through u will know why it also depends on salesman.

Everyone loves a good customer service and of course an honest one. How honest is honest? How do we know? Is hard to tell. Just base on how much u trust the salesman? According to six sense? Still hard to tell. Best check the car ourselves. Also best to do research and tips in getting a 2nd hand car.

Anyway, last weekend, I went hunting for 2nd hand car once again for a friend. A girl who is looking for a 2nd hand Myvi. The ones I know is around Batu Caves area and also at Selayang Auto City. The one next to the market.

So, start off with MRR2 to Batu Caves area. Went and saw a few Myvi for sale of course. Checked for signs of accidents, oil leakage, signs of respray and rusts and etcs. So, came the 1st one. A silver one. Came a guy at late 40's to serve us, open the car doors and start up the car. (as usual)

So, ask the guy for the silver myvi to test drive. He said can if the price is right can test drive. Need
to give deposits 1st to test drive. Then the girls all saying, need to test drive only can know if the
car is good or not ma....other place test drive also no need pay deposit...

He said "What do u all want to test? The suspension, lower arm and etcs?" if anything not good, we will change for u...."

I just kept quiet, and told the girls to go off...
(Will you take the risk to pay for the car and pray hard that they do what they promised?)

Promises coming from Salesman, sorry la. If you confident the car no problem, what's there to afraid to let me test? Why do I even need to put a deposit to test drive a car? So, that it will be a confirm close sales no matter what problem with the car?

Never thought by starting the car for customers to see, is good enough to tell the car is in good condition. Even when I want to trade in my car to 2nd hand car dealers, they themselves need to test drive my car before giving me the price. So, should I tell the salesman to give me a deposit 1st before he can test my car for trade in??? :stupid:

If it can goes the same way, then I have nothing to say. :adore:

Some even said, If you test drive the car, if got problems, i repair for u then let u test drive again. If not satisfy still, we refund the RM500 to u...:stoned: :hmmmm:
(Then why bother having me put the deposit? Might as well repair everything only let me test again)

There is one I encounter yesterday. I think u hear also u will walk off...went right behind to see,
then I think is a boss or what came to serve us. The boss is okay. Tell us the car never spray before, all paint original. He say he purposely didnt touch up to show all us that is the ori paint.
Will only touch up after confirm got buyer. Car looks good.

Then came another guy, i think could be the staff or what. I ask the boss the time, he say can test drive if price is right again..but dunno where the boss went so I ask that guy. Adi start up engine to show us.

• Me: Can test dry ar boss?
  • Salesman: If price is right, then can la.
  • Me: What do you mean?
  • Salesman: If confirm okay with the price and confirm buying then can test drive.
  • Me: Of course before I confirm I have to test drive if the car is good or not only can see if the
    price is right or not what...
  • Salesman: Okay la even if you test drive, how much are u gonna pay after test drive?
  • Me: ...........(what the F*** are u talking about?)

I just say nvm, I'll think 1st. I should have just walk away, I'm naturally just born polite...:proud:
Then he say okay lay u think 1st la...

Knowing no point arguing with them, so didnt bother and drive off to the place where 1st bought my 2nd hand car. Buying a car is not like buying Sayur at Pasar where you can judge it by looking
at it...got to test drive...but didnt buy from him also, cuz the condition of the myvi was bad.
(Stated by one of the better salesman among all of them along MRR2 2nd hand shop lots)

Here comes the reason why I bought the Kelisa from this Salesman.

What makes him different from the rest that made me come back for repeat purchase or even intro a friend to that place, is his
character and his customer service. Consider as one of the honest salesman as well so far for
2nd hand dealers.

Check the car everything was okay with the kelisa, superb condition but since no experience
didnt know the car got signs of respray last time but is more likely a respray for the bumpers.
Check the chassis and everything as usual after that straight ask if can test drive.

He said can no problem, got in the car with us and drive around. But before test drive, he already
tell us 1st only the engine mounting need to change...so as told, when i put into reverse gear, really vibrated badly. So promise to change before we collect the car.

So after that, he allow us to drive around ourselves and test ourselves. Came back with the car, went in to discuss on payment and etcs. Deposit he said, "Is up to us. If u really want the car, I can reserve for you. Deposit no fix amount, up to u on how much u want to give or u can just pay all together when u bring our documents. I reserve the car for you. :love:

That's how we bought the car, Car condition good, Salesman attitude and Customer Service good. Honest is another thing. Cant say he is 100% honest but good enough. Also any problems
so far I call him, he will try to settle for me...:top:
So, What have you guys experienced with 2nd Hand Car Dealers? Kindly share.
Or what is the best way or tips in buying 2nd hand cars?
All suggestions and opinions appreciated greatly.

Let's help each other in choosing the right dealers for the right cars...

Anyway, purpose of creating this thread, is to share our experiences in purchasing 2nd hand cars and what type of salesman they have dealt with.

Not all 2nd hand car dealers are bad, just some. Very hard to find a good one. :listen:

Last edited:

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
I have many experiences. The latest was last Saturday, I brought along my parents having a used cars walkaround trips. We found a quite attactive Viva to the liking. So we got a key to start the engine, molested here and there and a friendly salesperson came to explain and talk with us. We asked for the best price and the Chinese boss asked me to be seated. Didn't know why I got the damn feeling being a lamb waiting to be slaughtered at that time. He didn't talk, just take out a piece of paper, pen and calculator and he "tut" the calculator for a good couple of minutes!!!. Finished his writing, he just pushed the paper in front of me and I saw this:

Do you believe it the processing fees (inspection, transfer and his duit kopi) is RM2,680? I asked him why is it so expensive? He just kept mum. So I signaled my parents to leave. Good luck for him to find another

We came across a dealer, whose salesperson is a half baked one. I asked him is there any automatic Viva 850cc? He said maybe got but not many. LOL. Fun to talk with him but this one is not going to make the deal.

We walked into quite many dealers and finally came to this one. A middle age Chinese man who is the boss of himself. I told him I was looking for a Viva. There a very good looking white stock Viva in his yard. As usual he took the key and let us molest the car as much as we like while he explained the good points of this car, of course he didn't tell us the bad side so I explored it myself. And came the time I asked the important question: price and other costs. He quoted me and straight told me the processing cost. Walao, how could I believe him as he is the only one who quoted the actual cost of doing thing. Believe me, after talking to him and listened to his talking I could judge him by his words, he knows stuff and is an quite honest businessman. I like him and his frankness. But... we left because we intended to view cars of private sales the next day.

Right after that same night, my dad asked me to go to that honest businessman, because the car is okay, price is okay and he is honest. No need look further, save the hassle. I agreed. So, he got the deal. People of honesty will always get the reward. By the time we came the next day, he asked us to test drive without asking for anything (maybe he knew he has us). So that it was. We went into his office, paid the deposit, have some drink and chitchat.

Advice to rookies:
If you sense the dealer/salesperson is hiding something or is of halfpassed six type, just leave. You will always find a better car and better deal else where if you keep your patience, and of course have some homework done before hand. Don't believe in the sales talk.

Thanks for reading my little contribution.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yup, agree with YYC Bro, whatever the Salesman tells me, I just take note but I wont take his word for it.
Even if it is my friend who is 2nd hand car dealers, I still prefer to check on my own.
Not cuz i don't trust him but is just me who prefer to check things myself.
He could have missed out some spots...who knows? :smile:

They are salesman, so not every word they say is actually the truth...

Usually I will ask them to wait, don't need to start the car 1st. Let me check around 1st.
Reason, once car is warmed up, some possible funny sounds from the car wont be there.
Best to test drive the car during a cold start.

U got to do some reading and research on buying 2nd hand cars before going to look for one or
you might be unlucky end up given a beat up car that cost more than the car later or more problems.

Unless you have experiences like bro YYC, example the processing fee cost RM2.6K+?
To me RM1.5K also consider quite high but acceptable.

Actually anyone knows the exact amount of Processing fees roughly? I only got to know this after Bro YYC posted.
Lucky that you didn't meet anyone that request for deposit if wanna test drive. Is hard to find a good and honest
salesman at 2nd hand car dealers shops. The good ones are there, just have to go around and look.

Don't just decide immediately on the 1st car you see even it is in good condition, go a few places to hunt for your car.
Then only decide on which is best one to pick...

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
The bulk of the infamous 'processing fees' goes to the process of 'opening an invoice'.

'Opening an invoice' is using the used car dealership's invoice to get higher loan amount from the banks. The banks allegedly will give higher loan amount to their 'panel' used car dealerships. If a customer just walked into a bank, meet one of the bank officer, and apply for loan - the loan amount will be much less and customer need to fork out more cash for downpayment.

Those who are working in the hire purchase department of a bank must confirm/deny this.

As for other 'transfer fees' - if go to Puspakom, Hire Purchase Inspection only costs RM60. JPJ RM100, if got loan with bank top up RM50. Total RM210 only. Fuel + time + toll + parking max cannot be more than RM100.

Viva first time insurance should be around RM850? Road tax RM20?

Total: RM1,080.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
The bulk of the infamous 'processing fees' goes to the process of 'opening an invoice'.

'Opening an invoice' is using the used car dealership's invoice to get higher loan amount from the banks. The banks allegedly will give higher loan amount to their 'panel' used car dealerships. If a customer just walked into a bank, meet one of the bank officer, and apply for loan - the loan amount will be much less and customer need to fork out more cash for downpayment.

Those who are working in the hire purchase department of a bank must confirm/deny this.

As for other 'transfer fees' - if go to Puspakom, Hire Purchase Inspection only costs RM60. JPJ RM100, if got loan with bank top up RM50. Total RM210 only. Fuel + time + toll + parking max cannot be more than RM100.

Viva first time insurance should be around RM850? Road tax RM20?

Total: RM1,080.
So they quote me processing fees excluding insurance RM1500, I guess their kopi money roughly RM300 or also some money as back up to get free things for customers when asked? :rofl:

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
So they quote me processing fees excluding insurance RM1500, I guess their kopi money roughly RM300 or also some money as back up to get free things for customers when asked? :rofl:
Need to ask around those here who are involved in the used car business.

I usually buy my car cash and do my Puspakom and JPJ transactions myself. Even if I buy car on hire purchase, I also specifically ask to do Puspakom and JPJ transactions myself.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Need to ask around those here who are involved in the used car business.

I usually buy my car cash and do my Puspakom and JPJ transactions myself. Even if I buy car on hire purchase, I also specifically ask to do Puspakom and JPJ transactions myself.
Will it be difficult to do own Puspakom and JPJ inspections? What are the requirements?
Say, I'm buying a 2nd hand car, after pay off settle everything with the dealer, drive the car for inspection ourselves after ownership successfully transferred?

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Will it be difficult to do own Puspakom and JPJ inspections? What are the requirements?
Say, I'm buying a 2nd hand car, after pay off settle everything with the dealer, drive the car for inspection ourselves after ownership successfully transferred?
Say if you buy a car paid fully by cash:

1. Ask dealer whether can do Puspakom & JPJ yourself.
2. If can, book Puspakom date.
3. Inform dealer of Puspakom date.
4. On the booked date, go do Puspakom inspection. Pay RM60 to Puspakom.
5. Inspection passed - ask dealer to give JPJ ownership transfer form, signed by previous owner.
6. Go to bank with dealer to settle the amount.
7. Go to JPJ to transfer name to yourself. Pay RM100 to JPJ.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hmmm....save a lot of money doing ourselves. Merely have to depends on the buyer whether they prefer to get it done by dealers to save the hassle or do it themselves to save few hundreds...

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Hmmm....save a lot of money doing ourselves. Merely have to depends on the buyer whether they prefer to get it done by dealers to save the hassle or do it themselves to save few hundreds...
Depends on whether buyer wants to give RM1,500 of kopi money to dealer.

RM1,500 can get you a decent set of 2nd hand adjustable absorbers for your 2nd hand ride.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
i used to be a new car salesman....so we always deal with used car dealers everyday & know
how things work, when they tell u this car has low mileage, although only 40k kms on a 3-4 year old car, dont believe it
all the mileage on the speedometer has been tempered with...even my bro in law asked me to reset his perdana meter all to '0'
it could be done easily...if u have steady hands la....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
i used to be a new car salesman....so we always deal with used car dealers everyday & know
how things work, when they tell u this car has low mileage, although only 40k kms on a 3-4 year old car, dont believe it
all the mileage on the speedometer has been tempered with...even my bro in law asked me to reset his perdana meter all to '0'
it could be done easily...if u have steady hands la....
Especially Digital ones? Ya, saw a Myvi mileage 40K+ year 08 car but then it was friend's bf and the young boy owner was there also, by looking at the condition, not really a car that use often. Told me use to go to college and work only.

But then, most i met all say cant test drive, have to confirm sales only can test drive which actually pissed me off with their attitude in doing sales.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
last time we charge rm50 for analog ones.....for digital ones i dunno how to tamper with, the charges will be rm150...
that was 8 years back...now im not sure.....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
last time we charge rm50 for analog ones.....for digital ones i dunno how to tamper with, the charges will be rm150...
that was 8 years back...now im not sure.....
Only way to find out is through service record. Real mileage cant run. Since have to have the flow
of list of car being serviced

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i would like to try to do my own headlight cover using plastic ( somethg like those fd or fc clear light,no more flip). any1 knw wat kind of plastic to i need to use and where to get ?? how oem head light material where can get ah ??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience