Buy a used car

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
works on bmw also right? :biggrin:
[/IMG][/URL]
Used to work very well, but these days BMW getting more and more common, and due to the new direction of our world going towards GREEN, economical, clean emissions etc. BMW isn't what it used to be.

World famous for their in-line six, today's lineup are mostly 4 bangers.

You know la, the combustion cycle of a 4 banger cannot match the vibrations that can send tingling sensations to a girl like a V8 can.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
"Wires"? You mean "Hoses"? :confused: And usually that's braided hoses which people use for EO coolers most of the time. I doubt any of those type of cars are autos. And yes, ATF cooler is same concept as that except I didn't put it outside, just infront of the radiator and behind the bumper. I wrote something about it sometime ago on how to install one.
does he mean like 1 of the featured car on ZTH mag with the Jap auto show, for Kancil it is edi connected to the radiator bottom part.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
does he mean like 1 of the featured car on ZTH mag with the Jap auto show, for Kancil it is edi connected to the radiator bottom part.
Nola..those Japanese style where they put the cooler outside of the car right in front on the bumper.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nola..those Japanese style where they put the cooler outside of the car right in front on the bumper.
Saw one put turbo intercooler in front of bumper, or to be more exact in the front bumper. Means bumper slightly cut to accommodate it. Got stopped by police.....:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
OCI = oil change interval.

If you understand the fundamentals of engine oil, it'll be easier to understand why people use oil coolers.

Have a read : http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/features/384644-simplified-guide-to-engine-oils.html

Basically if your engine gets really hot very often, it'll wear out the oil much faster and worn out oil tends to be acidic (varnish). Good oils don't shear that easily and usually have cleaners and the likes that clean out the varnish and sludge to keep your engine clean.

Anyway, so if you have a cooler the engine oil stays cooler longer, therefore you can rev the crap out of the engine without worrying about overheating. But having a cooler also means it takes the engine much longer to reach optimum temperature (which is what the thermostat is for) which isn't a good thing either since wear and tear is higher. So if you have a cooler, make sure you have the right weight oil. Don't go and use a 20W50 with the cooler because you're gonna have massive amounts of wear when cold. Perhaps 0w or 5w would be more suitable.

Actually, it's the other way around. When you press the clutch pedal you disengage the clutch. When you let go that's when the clutch engages. Pressing the clutch pedal and holding it basically wears out the clutch pump or the clutch cable.
I need some time to fully understand things about engine oil. This means, those external oil coolers are mostly for show than really giving any extra increment in performance if the car is not always driven very hard?

So, clutch wear will not be affected by pressing the clutch pedal too much. How about often revving the engine to 4 to 5k rpm? Since I did rev it that high sometimes, I'm slightly worried whether does it have any negative effects or not.

Reaching operating temperature for the engine may be different from the oil temperature, right? Of course NA maybe not much difference, probably no point to add oil cooler also if not doing track days....:biggrin:

Wears the clutch release bearing too.

Renesis, stepping on the clutch slightly wear the clutch even more so make sure when in motion the clutch pedal is fully released...:driver:
Now I start to get confused about clutch already... :confused:

Yeah, that is what I meant.

Saw one put turbo intercooler in front of bumper, or to be more exact in the front bumper. Means bumper slightly cut to accommodate it. Got stopped by police.....:smokin:
If the engine is endorsed, won't have problems isn't it?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I need some time to fully understand things about engine oil. This means, those external oil coolers are mostly for show than really giving any extra increment in performance if the car is not always driven very hard?

So, clutch wear will not be affected by pressing the clutch pedal too much. How about often revving the engine to 4 to 5k rpm? Since I did rev it that high sometimes, I'm slightly worried whether does it have any negative effects or not.

Yup, NA cars driven normally do not need the oil coolers.

Okay, Clutch works by transferring engine power to gear box, the link in between. The pedal works by releasing the link (free) when you step on the clutch pedal. As you release the clutch pedal, the clutch plate will reattach to flywheel to start transfer of power. If fully released the clutch plate is fully sticking to flywheel so no abrasion, so clutch not wearing. The wearing part is more at the time when the plate is attaching to the flywheel as at that time it is spinning and needs to attach to transfer power. That is why I mention not to step on the clutch pedal when fully in motion. If that is done the clutch plate may be not be fully attached and will wear faster.
Another thing is let the clutch pedal have some free play....:driver:
Hope you can understand the above. Hard to put in words.....haha

By right, JPJ only can stop if not mistaken, unless he broke some traffic rule. If engine is endorsed, engine no problem but they may charge you with outer body look change. Probably intercooler extended out further of bumper....:smokin:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Ya, ATF and EO needs to be warmed up fast during the startup. Coolers of any sort will ruin it.
So it takes a longer time to warm up, if engine not properly lubed then a lot of metal shavings lo.
Even by stationary, the coolers will cool it because of the massive rows of tiny fins.
So unless your 4G is revving 9k, I don't think you need it.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
Used to work very well, but these days BMW getting more and more common, and due to the new direction of our world going towards GREEN, economical, clean emissions etc. BMW isn't what it used to be.

World famous for their in-line six, today's lineup are mostly 4 bangers.

You know la, the combustion cycle of a 4 banger cannot match the vibrations that can send tingling sensations to a girl like a V8 can.

sighh.... ....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Haiyo.. Performance isn't determined by how cold the engine oil is. You need to understand what EO is for. It's for lubrication and depending on how cold it is, it affects the viscosity of the oil. Too cold and it'll never be "optimum" to protect your engine. People use coolers because their engines gets really hot like turbos and race cars. Overheating your EO has adverse effects so they use coolers.

If your everyday car doesn't get that hot, why would you want a EO cooler? Takes longer for the oil to warm up (therefore longer to reach optimum viscosity) and for those who fit it outside on their bumper it's risky because all you need is a well placed flying rock to break the cooler and hey presto, you have a leak.

On my old Wira, depending on the oil I used the EO wouldn't go past 100 degrees. Except once in Sepang I touched 140 degrees which meant it was time for me to pit. During my test of the Penrite oil, I redlined it for 10 minutes at 2nd gear to try to heat up the oil, it wouldn't get past 86 deg Celsius.

btw, redlining and high revving doesn't affect the engine unless you have leaks.

sighh.... ....
You sigh for what la? Like you'll wanna sell that M5 anytime soon. BMW might be changing direction but the car still lives!

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, NA cars driven normally do not need the oil coolers.

Okay, Clutch works by transferring engine power to gear box, the link in between. The pedal works by releasing the link (free) when you step on the clutch pedal. As you release the clutch pedal, the clutch plate will reattach to flywheel to start transfer of power. If fully released the clutch plate is fully sticking to flywheel so no abrasion, so clutch not wearing. The wearing part is more at the time when the plate is attaching to the flywheel as at that time it is spinning and needs to attach to transfer power. That is why I mention not to step on the clutch pedal when fully in motion. If that is done the clutch plate may be not be fully attached and will wear faster.
Another thing is let the clutch pedal have some free play....:driver:
Hope you can understand the above. Hard to put in words.....haha

By right, JPJ only can stop if not mistaken, unless he broke some traffic rule. If engine is endorsed, engine no problem but they may charge you with outer body look change. Probably intercooler extended out further of bumper....:smokin:
Okay, now I understand already. So, if you are like half releasing the clutch pedal but keep on pressing the accelerator, that will wear the clutch as well since the flywheel is spinning.

What's a free play?

Ya, ATF and EO needs to be warmed up fast during the startup. Coolers of any sort will ruin it.
So it takes a longer time to warm up, if engine not properly lubed then a lot of metal shavings lo.
Even by stationary, the coolers will cool it because of the massive rows of tiny fins.
So unless your 4G is revving 9k, I don't think you need it.
Sure not revving 9k lor.

Haiyo.. Performance isn't determined by how cold the engine oil is. You need to understand what EO is for. It's for lubrication and depending on how cold it is, it affects the viscosity of the oil. Too cold and it'll never be "optimum" to protect your engine. People use coolers because their engines gets really hot like turbos and race cars. Overheating your EO has adverse effects so they use coolers.

If your everyday car doesn't get that hot, why would you want a EO cooler? Takes longer for the oil to warm up (therefore longer to reach optimum viscosity) and for those who fit it outside on their bumper it's risky because all you need is a well placed flying rock to break the cooler and hey presto, you have a leak.

On my old Wira, depending on the oil I used the EO wouldn't go past 100 degrees. Except once in Sepang I touched 140 degrees which meant it was time for me to pit. During my test of the Penrite oil, I redlined it for 10 minutes at 2nd gear to try to heat up the oil, it wouldn't get past 86 deg Celsius.

btw, redlining and high revving doesn't affect the engine unless you have leaks.

You sigh for what la? Like you'll wanna sell that M5 anytime soon. BMW might be changing direction but the car still lives!
Thanks, now I know the relationship between EO and oil cooler already. Now I think I don't have to worry too much about revving the car once in a while.

But how did you get until 140 degree while on another occasion, you redlined it for 10 minutes and it still doesn't get past 86 degree?

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Okay, now I understand already. So, if you are like half releasing the clutch pedal but keep on pressing the accelerator, that will wear the clutch as well since the flywheel is spinning.

What's a free play?

Sure not revving 9k lor.

Thanks, now I know the relationship between EO and oil cooler already. Now I think I don't have to worry too much about revving the car once in a while.

But how did you get until 140 degree while on another occasion, you redlined it for 10 minutes and it still doesn't get past 86 degree?
Because track days, SIC no trees, on tarmac, not windy, exhaust, decatted cars... :rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

HEY People!! I've installed a Boost meter in my car...

Ya'll know that Boost meter, the 0 is in the middle then the vacum is down and psi is above the 0 rite?

Y my meter, it only can go a lil b4 0 oni?? cannot go above 0?? I mean it cannot go to PSI la...

What does Psi stands for??
Can anyone help me out bout my problem??
Thank You!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience