Budget tyres - Dayton, Landsail, Sportiva, Thunder, etc

Wanggot

May 22, 2006
Jay Bee
I usually allow a budget at RM1500-RM1600 for changing 4pcs tyres 225/45/18.
Came across with so many budget tyres in the market nowadays.
I wonder how can tyre manufacturer sell those tyres at a really cheap price?
Some shop even offered me Dayton 225/45/18 at Rm239 per pc.

There are number of accident cases reported due to tyre exploded.
Is all budget tyres manufactured according and meet safety standards?
I am really afraid to try those especially made in China one.
Just a day before raya, I ended up buying Achilles ATR2 again for the 3rd time.
Have been happily using ATR2 since 2013.

Cheers and Selamat Hari Raya

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I usually allow a budget at RM1500-RM1600 for changing 4pcs tyres 225/45/18.
Came across with so many budget tyres in the market nowadays.
I wonder how can tyre manufacturer sell those tyres at a really cheap price?
Some shop even offered me Dayton 225/45/18 at Rm239 per pc.

There are number of accident cases reported due to tyre exploded.
Is all budget tyres manufactured according and meet safety standards?
I am really afraid to try those especially made in China one.
Just a day before raya, I ended up buying Achilles ATR2 again for the 3rd time.
Have been happily using ATR2 since 2013.

Cheers and Selamat Hari Raya
Nah! they are safe to use on the exploding part, just that budget tyres do not perform that well like uhp tyres. They are weaker in dry traction, handling and usually much weaker performance in the wet. All tyres used according to their limits are safe, just many will buy budget but want uhp performance and that is when shits happens......lol:rofl:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nah! they are safe to use on the exploding part, just that budget tyres do not perform that well like uhp tyres. They are weaker in dry traction, handling and usually much weaker performance in the wet. All tyres used according to their limits are safe, just many will buy budget but want uhp performance and that is when shits happens......lol:rofl:
Problem is you don't know when suddenly that you'd need good grip to evade an accident or something! Exploding also maybe not, but bulging maybe more realistic to happen.

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
useful thread for me as I am currently running the tyres that came fitted to my second hand Enkei wheels from Japan, so I don't know their history and want to change soon, now my car is a lot faster with its new engine :)

Does anyone have any opinions on MAXXIS i-Pro?

size 205/45R16

I am seeing some good deals on them in Thailand.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Problem is you don't know when suddenly that you'd need good grip to evade an accident or something! Exploding also maybe not, but bulging maybe more realistic to happen.
That is why use within their limits. Buy budget drive them like UHP sure die loh......hhahahhaha:rofl:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
useful thread for me as I am currently running the tyres that came fitted to my second hand Enkei wheels from Japan, so I don't know their history and want to change soon, now my car is a lot faster with its new engine :)

Does anyone have any options on MAXXIS i-Pro?

size 205/45R16

Thanks
read this thread http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=460805
where it started with 15" donuts, and suddenly topic went up sizing. Hahahaha....:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That is why use within their limits. Buy budget drive them like UHP sure die loh......hhahahhaha:rofl:
Well when you're faced in an emergency situation to avoid an accident, you are FORCED to use the maximum limit of the tires and BEYOND! So for example suddenly something happened in front of you and you have to do emergency braking not to hit a car or a person or whatever, then obviously you will be asking the maximum braking grip you can get from your tires even if you're just travelling within the speed limits, isn't it? So if you use shit tires like these Landsail or whatever, you will need say 20 meters to come to a full stop from some speed, but if you use like a PS4 or F1, you will only need say 16 meters to stop and that extra 4 meters might have counted in a way you can stop on time or not. Even if you still hit, the impact surely would be less when you use the better tires, right?

So that's what I mean. People always say they just drive normally/within the limits which may reduce the risk but the risk will always be there no matter what, either from other people or from the weather. Therefore my recommendation is ALWAYS buy the best tire you can afford and not to be skimpy by buying shit tires like those! If you cannot afford, then do not use big rims, downgrade to smaller rims so you can afford better tires. Tires give grip to the road, not the rims!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well when you're faced in an emergency situation to avoid an accident, you are FORCED to use the maximum limit of the tires and BEYOND! So for example suddenly something happened in front of you and you have to do emergency braking not to hit a car or a person or whatever, then obviously you will be asking the maximum braking grip you can get from your tires even if you're just travelling within the speed limits, isn't it? So if you use shit tires like these Landsail or whatever, you will need say 20 meters to come to a full stop from some speed, but if you use like a PS4 or F1, you will only need say 16 meters to stop and that extra 4 meters might have counted in a way you can stop on time or not. Even if you still hit, the impact surely would be less when you use the better tires, right?

So that's what I mean. People always say they just drive normally/within the limits which may reduce the risk but the risk will always be there no matter what, either from other people or from the weather. Therefore my recommendation is ALWAYS buy the best tire you can afford and not to be skimpy by buying shit tires like those! If you cannot afford, then do not use big rims, downgrade to smaller rims so you can afford better tires. Tires give grip to the road, not the rims!
Like that means many news cars sure accident since they are given lowest specs possible. Myvi given 175/65R14 only, not even 185/60R14 or even better 195/50R15......lol:driver:

China tyres are coming up. Landsail have their LS588UHP better then Michelin

http://www.tyrepress.com/2015/03/landsail-beats-michelin-surprise-result-in-finnish-tyre-test/

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Does anyone have any opinions on MAXXIS i-Pro?

size 205/45R16

Thanks
Maxxis not that popular in Malaysia. i-Pro is the quieter version model. Previously is the MA-Z1 but very noisy. How are the Michelin PS3 prices in Thailand since they are Made in Thailand anyway, or maybe BS RE-003....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Here comes an unpopular opinion, I'm not here so that you like me anyway.

There's budget tyres, like ECOPIA range by Bridgestone, NCT5 by Goodyear, and there are also shit tyres. Its retarded to choose a rim size so big that the cost of the tyres become prohibitive.

And remember, races are won on tyres.
https://youtu.be/ca3KmMZ577o

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Like that means many news cars sure accident since they are given lowest specs possible. Myvi given 175/65R14 only, not even 185/60R14 or even better 195/50R15......lol:driver:

China tyres are coming up. Landsail have their LS588UHP better then Michelin

http://www.tyrepress.com/2015/03/landsail-beats-michelin-surprise-result-in-finnish-tyre-test/
Well maybe or maybe not, you have to look at it in a relative manner to those cars that use better tires, not just absolute numbers. The thing is this is about risk management, how much risk are you willing to take for using such cheapo tires?? If one thinks it's worth it then go ahead but note that it's not only own risk but also others around coz if you have accident, you might involve others too. The sad thing is like we have mentioned many times in this forum, many people prefer to go for show off using big rims but ending up skimping on tires which is actually more important than the rims. So I agree with what Ixeo said above, it's a poor decision to go for big rims until the tire choice becomes prohibitive due to cost constraint.

That review I don't buy yet coz no specific measurements mentioned there, just points and I don't recognize that media publication if reputable enough for this type of review. Even reviews from reputable media like Autoexpress UK, you have to look at it closely of the category that they measure and give points. For example the 2016 reviews where PS4 came on top and CSC5 ended up 3rd. If you look more closely at the criteria, actually CSC5 won more on those pure performance categories, while PS4 finished above CSC5 in only wet/dry braking, and rolling resistance. So even though PS4 was ranked as the overall winner but for me the CSC5 is still at least an equally good if not better choice with regards to performance category.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, many types of reviews. There was once an overall review including price made the good performing expensive tyres go down the rank, and cheaper not so performing tyre go up. So it all depends what we looking at, that is why most of the time for me, is wet handling and performance since in the dry most tyres are not too bad off......lol

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
Before raya, I was offered 'Forest King' brand tire after looking for budget new ones...I thought it was clothing brand :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Before raya, I was offered 'Forest King' brand tire after looking for budget new ones...I thought it was clothing brand :biggrin:
Forest King tyres for cars? I know of Nokian tyre their model is Forest King but they are tyres for cranes/tractor...:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

WANTED------> rear disc brake for n13!

i want it with exel.
please contact me if u found it...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience