budget drift car.. help!

time2drift

Known Member
Oct 18, 2004
Visit site
i'm thinking of buying an ol skool datsun bluebird 910 sss and modify it to be a drift car. my budget is quite low and i think it's the best car for me. plus i can plonk in either RB, SR or CA engine in it. what are u all think bout it? any opinion? what do i have to do to make it a proper drift machine?... wondering why there's no ppl ever use it in our drift scene... if im not mistaken, the bluebird can use many parts from skyline, cefiro or even silvia. is it true?? pls help me u guys... really a beginner in drifting...btw, thanx ;-p

time2drift

Known Member
Oct 18, 2004
Visit site
but now the price of toyota gl also have increase.. i can get the bluebird for about rm3000-4000 onli.. plus, i can use a turbocharge engine, meaning better torque to drift. im a beginner and still learning to drift properly. so i dun wan to buy quite an expensive car juz to wreck it later on... i heard that toyota gl with levin engine is quite underpowered... really ar???

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
nah!.. its enuf but as a beginner playing high torque car is unsuitable. but im aint offending u from using it, but u have tobe more becareful on "T" cars compared wif "NA" 's ...

if u would get a bluebird also can .. quite nice and upgradable if u become a pro soon :)

gud luck on search and happy drifting :)

time2drift

Known Member
Oct 18, 2004
Visit site
im thinking bout plonking rb20 or sr20 into the car and leave it as std as it is. when i become a pro then i will upgrade it... i've heard some ppl said that the std levin engine is quite underpowered.. we've to floor it all the way to make it happen and making it harder to drift.. btw, thanx for the tips and im sure enjoy drifting.. just doing it sidewys aite... sigh ;-p

Eiki

Known Member
Aug 8, 2004
-
time2drift said:
i'm thinking of buying an ol skool datsun bluebird 910 sss and modify it to be a drift car. my budget is quite low and i think it's the best car for me. plus i can plonk in either RB, SR or CA engine in it. what are u all think bout it? any opinion? what do i have to do to make it a proper drift machine?... wondering why there's no ppl ever use it in our drift scene... if im not mistaken, the bluebird can use many parts from skyline, cefiro or even silvia. is it true?? pls help me u guys... really a beginner in drifting...btw, thanx ;-p

I had a FriEnd Drive StAndStarD NiSsAn buLu BirD 910 SsS wif Weld Full Lock LSD!~ he aSlo LEarning Drift noW! !~ hehe
well , bulu bird stanstard Engine Quite Power too !~ 1.8 N/a .. if u Wanna BuDget Drift!~ juz follow my way like i did to my friend Bulu biRd !` Weld thE AXel into Full Lock!~!

When u gonna buy that bulu bird ? Pls huRry!~
Do u Need SpeCial ServiS Agent ?? if u Busy WorKing or Studying .. i Can Help u Bring Ur Car to my friend WorkShop .. WEld AXel into Full Lock LSd! OwnEr no Worrie ! All thOsE Fixing by Machanic Will Be REcorD Time by TimE inSide the Hp CameRA Pic ! Rm188.88 inculding Free delevery ur CAr to the WorkShop!! Pls Pm ME! iF u Want it!

Last edited:

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
people.. im confused... what the hell is full LOCK LSD and how come so cheap... and why japanese drifters not using this technique ?

Phujywara

Apr 12, 2005
kugan81 said:
people... im confused... what the hell is full LOCK LSD and how come so cheap... and why japanese drifters not using this technique ?
Alright, LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. Which means, it takes a great deal of torque to slip the tires. Full lock is where you lock up the differential to not allow any slip of whatsoever. By right, we're not suppose to call it Lock LSD. Maybe, F.L.D = Full Lock Differential. The 2way LSD and Full Lock differential share the same characterictics, if i'm not mistaken. And i believe, people outside our country do use this type of techniques, can't really bet if the Japanese do this on a wide scale.

Last edited:

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
ok.... yeah.. thanks for the info man... im using the R33-RB26 Active 1.5 LSD... is the FLD Better ? and is it more reliable.... and how about maintenance ? What i do is every 10k or 2 oil change i will change the LSD oil too.. hope you dont mind explaining to me what are the benfits compared to the normal LSD...

Last edited:

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
kugan81 said:
ok.... yeah.. thanks for the info man... im using the R33-RB26 Active 1.5 LSD... is the FLD Better ? and is it more reliable.... and how about maintenance ? What i do is every 10k or 2 oil change i will change the LSD oil too.. hope you dont mind explaining to me what are the benfits compared to the normal LSD...
you can't drive a full lock diff on normal roads, unless you wanna drift over every corner on the street.. which is very dangerous.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
The Normal Differential

As we well know, a race car driver wins races from shaving lap times by cornering faster. Because of this many teams and constructors try to make cars that maintain higher cornering speeds.

On every car a basic differential is fitted to to distribute the engine's power to the driving wheels. The basic differential gear (d1 below) supplies the power to wheels which is/are loaded with least resistance. This allows the cars wheels to run at different speeds in a turn with least resistance.

However, when a car is cornering close to it's limit, the car will exhibit roll, a leaning to one side, causing the inside tires to lose forward traction and lateral grip. The wheels lift and cause excessive spin because of lack of downward force or weight distribution. This wheel spin is useless for acceleration until the tires regain traction and start to translate the power to the ground.

An LSD is used to alleviate this wheelspin.

The pressure plate rings have the side gear, pinion, and the pinion gear locked inside, and behind each pressure rings are a number of clutch plates. When torque is applied to the differential, the differential case will spin and throw the pinion into the pressure ring cam. The pressure ring is then pushed out against the clutch plates thereby squeezing them together. This in turn causes the wheels to gradually lock together, depending on the power applied. This effect limits the wheel spin during hard cornering and applies power to the wheels evenly when more power is applied to the wheels. On acceleration and deceleration, it provides even grip and on neutral power, it frees up for less drag and easier turning.

1-Way, 2-Way, 1.5-Way.......... What Does It Mean?

Some manufacturers make LSD's in different configurations and are commonly classified as 1 way, 2way, and 1.5 way. This designation reflects the design of the cam groove which enables the LSD to function differently under different loads. A 1 way differential means that the cam is shaped in such way as to have positive lock only when accelerating. The 2 way is constructed in a way to have positive lock motion in either acceleration or deceleration. The 1.5 way is a new term used to describe the 2 way cam which enables different lock up rates during the two directional forces. The 1.5 distribute positive lock stronger under acceleration than when decelerating. The 1.5 way can provide more forgiving balance when braking than a full 2 way setup, although it is less effective for true racing applications, it provides easier operation for beginners in throttle off conditions. It is also effective for front drive cars which need extra stability during braking.

A Comparison of LSD

There are many brand and grades of LSD but here's how you rate them.

The OEM supplied LSD, standard and optional on many cars today are 2 pinions. This design has very low positive lock and is designed to provide some sporty feel to showroom cars. Because of the nature of this low lock design, it is just slightly more effective than not having one at all. Not a choice for true performance drivers. Barely does doughnuts...!

A performance LSD should have at least 4 pinions. This is the design used for racing and rallies around the world. The positive lock ratio and linear lock characteristics is determined by a number of components. The cam profile, clutch plate quantity and size, initial torque of the pre-load spring, as well as the lubricants.

Contrary to what manufactures want you to believe, TRD-Toyota Technocraft, Mugen-Honda Racing, RalliArt-Mitsubishi Rally Operations, MazdaSpeed-Mazda, STI-Subaru Technica Int., NISMO- Nissan Motorsports, all have their LSD's made by the same supplier, a Hitachi subsidiary. This is because the majority of the normal differential gears are supplied by them. They use the cheap factory casing and re-work the inside. This limits the size and number of the gears, and clutches thereby sacrificing true potential. They claim 4 pinions but have only 3 or 4 small clutches on one side. They use very high cam profile to put high loads on the clutches so that it can achieve high lock up. The problem with this approach is that the pre-load on the clutches are higher and tires have constant drag. Also, since the clutches are small and few, the load is larger per given surface area, translating into higher operating temperatures and fast wear. Another major disadvantage to this type of LSD has to be the abrupt lock-up, making on-off conditions less predictable and controllable.

The true high-quality Limited Slip are supplied by Kaaz and Cusco, who supply majority of racing teams throughout Japan. The Cusco and Kaaz differentials have on the average 10mm oversize clutch diameter and computer stamped oil channels which hold lubricants during operation. The plates number from 6-8 and have very wide selection of pre-load springs to choose from. Since the clutch has to press together less to achieve very high lock-up, the LSD generates less heat and wears much longer. All components are computer ground and shell casing is not stamped as in the OEM and Branded Hitachi units. Over the long run, these units will cost less to operate due to the lower maintenance required in terms of rebuilding and replacement of clutches. Most of all, these LSDs are much more controllable, having a wider, more progressive lock-up and better positive lock up at the limit. They are more streetable because it won't suddenly spin you around in low traction conditions such as rain and snow. You can, but you can also be in control...

To add to this, Kaaz differentials have higher quality tolerance levels, represented by computer balanced shell casing and gears, and initial pre-load springs are matched to vehicle applications. The reason for small application list is that they go through 3 years of N1 and Gr. A racing to design the differential design and specifications. I prefer the KAAZ because of cheaper entry price tag too, made even better by introductory pricing in the US markets. Consider it the ultimate in LSD.

Thnx to Club 4AG

kugan81

Known Member
Oct 19, 2004
Penang
Visit site
you da man bro.... got all my questions answered,, you guys ROCK...

topui11

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Visit site
u should PM nottyeddy or Keng regarding bluebirds...

all i can say, it rocks!!!

well.. KE or 910SSS, both have their advantages. i really would suggest u go with 910SSS as beginners. it's much safer and faster to learn with.

go with RB20dET or SR20det... u can't go wrong either way. CA18det is the least u can go with... but in all seriousness, go with RB20det. ;) hehehe.

parts cheap.. abundance... help also abundance! hehe

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
In my opinion.. CA18DET nowadays getting off the market, like Mirage 4G61T model... and rare also.

SR20 and RB20 Turbo series are good.. be sure to select which ever good and suits Bluebird... according to Bluebirds bay .. u can even fit in RB26DETT !

;)

Happy drifting!

topui11

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2004
Visit site
sakuraguy

SR20det would be the best fit for bluebird engine bay and will give u the best power to weight ratio... also a more balanced body weight distribution.

but.. price of an SR20 halfcut = 2 RB20 halfcut. hehehe..

so, better go with cheaper option and spend the rest in suspensions, bodywork, LSD and whatnot.

CA is good but like u say, it's phasing out already.