Bridgestone RE003 vs Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (PS3)

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My Pilot Sport 3s are due for replacement. This is my second set of them. So far I'm really satisfied, they're very good in cornering feel, traction and ride comfort except for the soft sidewalls, which makes the car rolls a bit more than usual in corners. The RE003 is relatively new and there are not many reviews yet. But from what I've read they're just as good except for the lower wet traction. Plus, the sidewall is slightly stiffer, which is good. I could not decide whether to stick to PS3 or change to the slightly cheaper RE003. So, any of you are using RE003? How does it perform/feel?
I used PS3, GYF1D5 and RE003 now.

While it is said that PS3 has better wet traction versus RE003 AND GYF1D5, that doesn't mean the RE003 is bad. What it means that if you go through a standing water - not exactly a deep puddle, but a damp patch, the RE003 will be slightly uncomposed. Aquaplane performance, PS3 is tops.

Dry tracking, that's where RE003 shines. It feels sharper on inputs, versus the PS3. I'm not sure why, but RE003 seems to give me more confidence. I've never broke traction with any of the 3 tires even powering out of the corner @ full boost, FWD.

Wet cornering, I've never really pushed it that far, cause I drive on the streets, don't be an idiot. But I have no issues with the RE003.

As for stiffer sidewall.. I'm pretty happy with the NVH of the RE003. If anything, PS3 does not wear gracefully. As it wears down, it does get noisier.

Out of the 3, I am happy to use RE003 because its the cheapest. And the performance is great. If the price difference between RE003 and PS3 is small, I'd put them on my father/mother/brother/imaginary girlfriend's car. But for myself, I'd still go with the RE003 if its cheaper. If the price is the same, I'd go for the PS3 for the slight benefit in the wet.

GYF1D5.. Dry doesn't feel so sharp, wavers a bit, wet is ok, not too bad. I'd say for Dry its slightly behind RE003, wet is the same if not better. PS3 is definitely better than both in the wet, dry its better than the GYF1D5, RE003 is better in the dry.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

While it is said that PS3 has better wet traction versus RE003 AND GYF1D5, that doesn't mean the RE003 is bad. What it means that if you go through a standing water - not exactly a deep puddle, but a damp patch, the RE003 will be slightly uncomposed. Aquaplane performance, PS3 is tops.

Dry tracking, that's where RE003 shines. It feels sharper on inputs, versus the PS3. I'm not sure why, but RE003 seems to give me more confidence. I've never broke traction with any of the 3 tires even powering out of the corner @ full boost, FWD.

Wet cornering, I've never really pushed it that far, cause I drive on the streets, don't be an idiot. But I have no issues with the RE003.

As for stiffer sidewall.. I'm pretty happy with the NVH of the RE003. If anything, PS3 does not wear gracefully. As it wears down, it does get noisier.

Out of the 3, I am happy to use RE003 because its the cheapest. And the performance is great. If the price difference between RE003 and PS3 is small, I'd put them on my father/mother/brother/imaginary girlfriend's car. But for myself, I'd still go with the RE003 if its cheaper. If the price is the same, I'd go for the PS3 for the slight benefit in the wet.

GYF1D5.. Dry doesn't feel so sharp, wavers a bit, wet is ok, not too bad. I'd say for Dry its slightly behind RE003, wet is the same if not better. PS3 is definitely better than both in the wet, dry its better than the GYF1D5, RE003 is better in the dry.
PS3 is well known for its excellent aquaplaning resistance.

At current pricing RE003 still cheaper than F1D5? I have suspicion that the RE003 prices already going up and F1D5 can be the cheapest now.

How is the wear of the RE003 btw? Does it wear out faster than the other 2?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I've never even use the same tires twice! Always change different when comes the time to replace it. :biggrin:
Past few years have been like that, using different brands. Previously the most sets I use was the Falken ST115 because got cheap offer from tyre shop....:driver:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Very good feedback from bro. ixeo dy......:adore:

In dry I also heard RE-003 very good, that why called Adrenalin.....:driver:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Thanks for the reviews and recommendation. I bought the RE003s (4 tyres) just now at RM210/piece, including balancing and alignment. One shop quote the PS3 for RM280/piece, which I think is ridiculous. At the moment I'm very happy with these tyres. Excellent ride comfort and noise level (which could be due to being new?). One noticeable difference compared to PS3 is the steering feels lighter (which again could be due to being new). This however doesn't affect steering precision. Sidewall stiffness also feel marginally stiffer. I reserve my comment on wet performance. I has been a long time without rain here.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for the reviews and recommendation. I bought the RE003s (4 tyres) just now at RM210/piece, including balancing and alignment. One shop quote the PS3 for RM280/piece, which I think is ridiculous. At the moment I'm very happy with these tyres. Excellent ride comfort and noise level (which could be due to being new?). One noticeable difference compared to PS3 is the steering feels lighter (which again could be due to being new). This however doesn't affect steering precision. Sidewall stiffness also feel marginally stiffer. I reserve my comment on wet performance. I has been a long time without rain here.
That's cheap. I got mine for RM212 a piece (with GST) including balancing only but trade in old tires. The shop was doing a promotion. I think the price was ok for a 195/55r15. :burnout:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wow! 70 price difference, no need think already sure take RE-003.....hahhahhaha

195/55R15 PS3 when launch was around RM230-240 only, then as sales went up price slowly grew too. The higher I heard ws around RM300. Then somewhere 3rd quarter 2015, it went back down to around 240 and recently gone back up again.....:banghead:

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Wow! 70 price difference, no need think already sure take RE-003.....hahhahhaha

195/55R15 PS3 when launch was around RM230-240 only, then as sales went up price slowly grew too. The higher I heard ws around RM300. Then somewhere 3rd quarter 2015, it went back down to around 240 and recently gone back up again.....:banghead:
Mmg no brainer, RE003 it is :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
PS3 is well known for its excellent aquaplaning resistance.

At current pricing RE003 still cheaper than F1D5? I have suspicion that the RE003 prices already going up and F1D5 can be the cheapest now.

How is the wear of the RE003 btw? Does it wear out faster than the other 2?
I think prices went up recently. I paid RM170/pc for 195/50 R15. No brainer man at that price. Bought 2 donuts to replace a GYF1D5 that got sidewall damage. This was last year, I think around September/October.

Considering tires are still so new, wear is still okay. No compound peeling off like PS3 so far.

16"?

That's cheap. I got mine for RM212 a piece (with GST) including balancing only but trade in old tires. The shop was doing a promotion. I think the price was ok for a 195/55r15. :burnout:
Looks like prices went up.

Shinjite

500 RPM
Feb 27, 2006
Klang
Looks like prices went up.
Yup prices were up for quite some time already. sanekit's one at RM212 is with GST hence the extra RM12. So price per donut around RM200, it is around there now. Some places selling even more expensive, also due to its availability. Last i heard they brought in very limited units only.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As enthusiasts it's our job to unload our wallets buying up all sorts of power-enhancing gear.It's why we work; it's why we save; it's what we do, and we wouldn't do anything else. But all too often, we dump our dollars into increasing engine air-flow and fuel delivery without completing the entire package. There are three parts to the power puzzle, and it's all too easy to overlook the missing ingredient: FIRE!. What good is cramming additional air and fuel into your combustion chamber if...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience