Brake Caliper upgrade

TheSquee

Known Member
Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys I'm planning to change my front brake caliper from the b16a one to the h22a one ( if not mistaken is this model )

If not mistaken this model clears majority of 15" rims just nice right?

Wanna ask besides the Caliper and new brake pads what do I need to buy to convert my brakes to h22 ?

And roughly how much to buy the parts and DiY or how much shops usually charge

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
u r forgetting about the disc? hahahaha. u will need to machine drill the holes to pcd 100 seeing that it comes originally 114.3 pcd, and most of the civics are 100 pcd (assuming u are driving a eg/ek).

that's pretty much it. disc, calipers, brake pads. u MAY have to skim the disc. and yes, it clears most 15" rims except japan rpf 1.

TheSquee

Known Member
Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes I drive an eg.

Hmm usually how much the cost to upgrade this ? Like whole set to buy and then plus workspanship ?

Plan to actually Do it myself if labour is pricey

TheSquee

Known Member
Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm any place you could recommend me to ? Been to siong in shah alam quite a friendly chap but never sent in for anything serious.

Looking for somewhere that give good quality work and affordable price.

Quite keen on doing a cam change to b18c type r cams from my stock b16a cam/head but what's the cost like for a complete set and isit true b18 cams are best if you old install adjustable cam pulley to lengthen the exhaust or intake period
True?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
can go to ah keong (fast autoworks)... about 2 doors away from siong...

he can give u pricing on those cams as well

TheSquee

Known Member
Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm may I have ah keong's number ? Or unless you can get special price since you a long time customer then could you ask for me madman ? :D

Anyways I got a headache of getting into that area , from the highway turn in at the small lane always got JPJ , is there a way around that ?

Thanks ! Any of you could Answer this ? Please :)
Quite keen on doing a cam change to b18c type r cams from my stock b16a cam/head but what's the cost like for a complete set and isit true b18 cams are best if you old install adjustable cam pulley to lengthen the exhaust or intake period

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
B18C-R cams are about 1k... installation different i think...B16B cams would be around 1.5k iirc... id recommend the B16B instead.

best to install adjustable cam pulleys if u do a cam change to better fine tune the cams...

ill PM u his number in a bit.

as for the JPJ...ur coming from kesas? theres another way but im not sure how to explain it to u...this is from federal highway side..

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
oh yeah...if ur willing to spend the money, id strongly recommend looking into 4pots as well... something from skylines or silvias...but these 2 need to be careful as there are version which wont fit under 15" wheels... theres also the RX7 4pot which ive seen under 15" wheels before. or u can contact these guys and see wat they can offer u (n update here oso..coz im oso curious)

this upgrade will require u to make custom brake hoses as well which means u can make custom steel braided ones... the workshop u do this in should be able to do it...

i know of someone whos used EK9 brakes (same as H22A) as well as nissan 4pots... and he said the difference was like heaven n earth...going up to 16" to clear the 4pots was worth it for the braking power.

the H22A is of course sufficient... even Ah Keong's EG K20 oso uses the H22A brakes...but with project u calipers and pads...but to me..u can never have too much braking

im currently itching to fit nissan 4pot in front and nissan 2pot in the rear...but dunno the rear possible or not as most people only upgrade their front

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
im using 15"

TheSquee

Known Member
Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Madman,

I called Ah Siong , told me if do BB1 brake Caliper + disc + machine shop fee = RM650 this is without brake pads 0.0

Is this considered okay or expensive ?

Anyways tried calling Ah Keong but no answer on voicemail whole day -.- Now thinking should I really upgrade my brakes now cause my brake problem right now is just that one side is having uneven wear compared to the other side so I thought might as well just upgrade.

Hmm or should i do a complete cam job.. Like change to b18c type r cams and the whole works for power , since I'm currently lacking the power..

Anyways bro you mentioned there is a way to Fast Autoworks without going through that particular road after the exit on the highway that has the JPJ block could you draw a map ? Not gonna risk gettin stop by JPJ !==

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
looks about right the price...

power is nothing without brakes.. so do brakes first...

directions to siong/keong via federal highway:
-from BT3 toll heading towards klang..
-go up the first flyover after the toll and turn left...
-keep going and pass all the traffic lights till u reach a roundabout.
-at the roundabout go straight (aka 12 o'clock)
-right after the round about is a junction to the left.. turn left...
-go straight till u see a traffic light...turn left (**)
-ull reach the area already.

take note that sometimes theres JPJ/police roadblock at (**)...sometimes...so far ive only seen once...and one more on the other side of the road.

but since thats an industrial area i assume theyre targetting lorries.

cad843

Known Member
Mar 23, 2005
Oita Ken
No offence to anybody but just wanna share my experience .. last time using custom steel braided hose, cost me RM500 per set (2 pcs for front) end up burst (after a year + using) during travelling fr KL to JB at Ayer Keroh at 3am morning ... so no brake all the way to JB, so custom steel braided is totally ban in my list.

Using R32 caliper ... required min 16" rims, custom base n rim spacer ... but felt my car a bit heavier during low RPM especially fr 1st to 2nd gear & during traffic jam ... later change into lighter rims ... but not helping much ... end up change back to oem one ... if got budget go for aftermarket laa ...