Bov stall engine

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
kennethfong said:
kk,

u might probably do a check on ur own 61T engine, whether the Mass Air Flow is using Karman Vortex, which i think it is, there are a few types of MAF out there (n since u oso mentioned ur engine has been modified before coming to ur hands), if it is a hotwire type, u can relocate ur MAF just before ur throttle body after the intercooler, so u'll get away with the 'air misreading info' sent to ur ecu, this is wat we call a blow thru setup....

of course there are still many piggyback methods that can solve this, eg. microtech mt4, hks vpc n many many many others esp the DSM aftermarket products normally available in US....
Karman Vortex? Any method can check this out? Please advice on how to check. Thanks you so much bro. I never thought my MAF sesnsor would change. But that is true my engine did some changes before it comes to my hand. If that is, I think I'm very lucky.

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
Maxx said:
the "birdie" sound is when pressurise air blowing backdward to the turbo when lifting off pedal.
reading off the net, often suggest that this will damage turbo bearings. as the backward air give more resistance for the turbin to spin freely.

bov usually needs to be tighten until no air leaks (at the bov) when max boost.
currently i got no boost leak, it hink BUt u got any idea my rpm on 3rd gear onwards seems slower to raise.. is it leaking or what?

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
kk,

the site u posted is a subaru STI forum, it may or may not apply 2 our mitsubishi, but one thing that we can apply is the relocation of MAF like wat they said....

however, i've asked around many ppl including some US folks in some DSM forums, also the famous boschur racing in US for some related MAF Translator products, all the conclusions come back to me is that the relocation of our mitsubishi MAF for a blow thru will have few probs, one is the accuracy of data sensed by the air flow, it may go haywire or providing inconsistent data which is dangerous, remember we need consistent high air flow feeding the ECU at high revs, this is to instruct the injector to 'ejaculate' more fuel, if this fails or something goes wrong somewhere, ur risking ur pocket on an engine overhaul....

another problem for MAF is we need the honeycomb to make the air shooting straight, there can be no room for turbulence coz the MAF can't read the air properly, n u need 2 b sure if those are OK, another prob might be there might be oily residue of particles within that particular pressurised chamber, so this might kill your MAF quick...

in a perfect world, relocating ur MAF should be done just before the throttle body, i would prefer the BOV to be installed before the MAF to cure for unmetered air disease as we've discussed....

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
sorry was caught up in a sudden long meeting, n now back....

other things that need to add or emphasize is that all MAF is not designed to be placed as a 'blow thru' setup, u can try but no guarantee..........however a Hotwire is more applicable for blow thru!! hotwire provides a constant heating to the wire exposed to the incoming air traffic, n when it cools down, it'll need more V to keep the element hot, thus this is how it tells the ECU based on this info.... I might probably need to take back my word on the 'perfect world' in the previous post, so if u placed the VTA BOV before the MAF, the shockwaves travel back thru the MAF to the BOV and this might provide temporary wrong readings, and if u placed the VTA BOV after the MAF, ur still back to square one of sending rich burn data to ur ECU....

if u wanna go for hotwire, get urself an MAF Translator, that's the product's name, there are available kits readily available for mitsu DSM models like ur 4G6x family!! so no problem watsoever....

remember as i said if not mistaken urs should be running karman too, means it's using hertz as reference, n hotwire is using voltage as reference, so the maf translator places a hotwire and translates the V into Hz signals in order for ur ECU to be able to read properly.....

for me i didn't take on this path coz no one in the US is familliar with my GSR 4G9x series and they just told me they can't guarantee whether it works or not, thus not worth me spending some USD 200 just for experiment am I?

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
kennethfong said:
sorry was caught up in a sudden long meeting, n now back....

other things that need to add or emphasize is that all MAF is not designed to be placed as a 'blow thru' setup, u can try but no guarantee..........however a Hotwire is more applicable for blow thru!! hotwire provides a constant heating to the wire exposed to the incoming air traffic, n when it cools down, it'll need more V to keep the element hot, thus this is how it tells the ECU based on this info.... I might probably need to take back my word on the 'perfect world' in the previous post, so if u placed the VTA BOV before the MAF, the shockwaves travel back thru the MAF to the BOV and this might provide temporary wrong readings, and if u placed the VTA BOV after the MAF, ur still back to square one of sending rich burn data to ur ECU....

if u wanna go for hotwire, get urself an MAF Translator, that's the product's name, there are available kits readily available for mitsu DSM models like ur 4G6x family!! so no problem watsoever....

remember as i said if not mistaken urs should be running karman too, means it's using hertz as reference, n hotwire is using voltage as reference, so the maf translator places a hotwire and translates the V into Hz signals in order for ur ECU to be able to read properly.....

for me i didn't take on this path coz no one in the US is familliar with my GSR 4G9x series and they just told me they can't guarantee whether it works or not, thus not worth me spending some USD 200 just for experiment am I?
Yo kenneth,
I'm quite clear about that now. I did search throught some web, found that many driver did meet the same problem. Not even for only Mitsu car, but other as well even for continental car.

In fact, blow-in is still the best setup for any turbo car. Anyway, I try to find out what is the air flow sensor type that my car is using now. Let you know while we meet. :_:

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
lancerboy,

listen to maxx, he's right, compressor surge will definitely shorten ur turbine's lifespan, remember turbine is designed to have a 1 way air direction and not both ways back n forth....

here's a link for u: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bZHpT-L38
if u get this, that's wat maxx mentions upon....

kk,

sure dude, if ur good in electronics, u might probably wanna go for a DIY HKS VPC..... too bad i'm not

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
kennethfong said:
kk,

sure dude, if ur good in electronics, u might probably wanna go for a DIY HKS VPC..... too bad i'm not
Kenneth,
HKS VPC? :emoticon_U: If i can DIY, sure I will... haha

Any progress to your MSII?

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
kk,

ur in the technical field so let's share something, first get a oscilloscope to datalog all data on the hertz values from 500 rpm to max rpm, then get a GM hotwire n do the same thing of coz not using ur car this round but some other method, then get a voltage to hertz converter circuit / schematic, n with some experiment, u should be there....

but remember talking is easier than practical....

it's an ms I, the progress: waiting for the megastim to arrive should be by early next week sigh....

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
BOV flutter

kennethfong said:
lancerboy,

listen to maxx, he's right, compressor surge will definitely shorten ur turbine's lifespan, remember turbine is designed to have a 1 way air direction and not both ways back n forth....

here's a link for u: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bZHpT-L38
if u get this, that's wat maxx mentions upon....

kk,

Hey all, my bov doesnt have any fluttering sound at all, i emailed Trust to enquire ans they say even when recirculate, it will produce some sound quite similiar to ssqv

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
lancer,

yep recirculate it back will be the best, u won't lose anything in performance....

kk9972

Known Member
Dec 27, 2005
Hi all,
From this thread, I can make a small conclusion from BOV that we all used.
Lancerboy is using Greddy Type-S BOV which it has re-circulation back to airflow.
Kenneth is using SSQV which has no re-circulation to airflow which same as mine using Blitz BOV.
Lancerboy won't get any problem like flutter sound and Kenneth also won't get flutter sound. And I do have that sound!
Lancerboy will definitely having a good BOV that prevent from compressor surge because having re-circulation.
Kenneth wont have compressor surge because VTA BOV will definitely release all the pressure. But without re-circulation, the engine will have stalling problem.
I will have compressor surge but without stalling problem because my BOV cannot open correctly at low boost and surge my compressor with anti-direction air flow and cause flutter sound.

Wow, I can see that Greddy Type-S BOV is the best for stock setting engine. Agree on that?

kennethfong

500 RPM
Aug 11, 2004
kk,

ur right i dun use a recirc kit, coz i intend to be a temporary rice boy at the moment (for now-LAR), coz once u add recirc, the sound won't be as loud, and some even went silent at low boost, so no point buying an RM 800 ssqv with less sound, defeats the purpose, but this is subjective, it depends on each individual...

however hks ssqv does have a recirculation kit available, some will go to the extent of making their own recirculation kit, it's just some piping and brackets to fit into the outlet airways of the BOV back to where it's suppose to be, put it short, to make a VTA BOV into a true plumback....

Lancerboy1

Known Member
Jun 11, 2006
kenneth, type S also have birdie sound when re-circulate. unless u keep it soft setting, but i think i got a problem in that.. when i boost, it seems the RPM raise very slowly. i think it leaking?? i am not too sure if it will leak if its too loose.. i try tightening it to a setting with no fluttering sound and it sound like stock bov, soundless. the losser i lossen, the more the birdie sound.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

6/1/06 - around 3am..

my fren satria rear window was smash.. dont take anything

7/1/06 - 7.30am..

my vafc has been stolen.. 4 man (malay) use 2 motorbike smash my pessenger window.. my car park outside my house.. thanks god they dont stole my brother in law audio player..

9/1/06 - afternoon..

my fren walkie talkie antenna was stolen..

10/1/06 - 2-3 am..

my neighbour cd player was stolen...

:baring_teeth: so resident in cheras area, pls beware..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience