Boston vs JL

Ede61

Known Member
Sep 4, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Anyone care to compare the two subwoofers? A friend of mine is planning on getting one of them, just not sure which is better... Some help sifu's and bro's! :wavey::wavey::wavey:

1- Boston G2 (12)
2- JL W3V3 (12)

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Between those two I'd go for teh JL W3v3. JL's have always been known for their fast hard hitting bass. Side by side comparisons with other subs using the same monoblock the sound is pretty obviously superior for the JL.

Boston isn't that bad either, I suspect it's cheaper than the JL so if your friend has a budget constraint, Boston is a good buy too. Kinda like me and my Boston G5, no money to buy the JLW6v2 so buy G5 lor.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
if its the same box, go for the W3v3.

Oh don't worry Izso, the JL W6v2 is utter overrated rubbish if you want to listen to drums and beats.. no kick to it, I upgraded to IDMAX and OMGWTFBBQ I never knew the music had bass with the JL W6v2.

I killed the surround foam on my W6v2 when trying to extract more bass out of it. true story. lol.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
if its the same box, go for the W3v3.

Oh don't worry Izso, the JL W6v2 is utter overrated rubbish if you want to listen to drums and beats.. no kick to it, I upgraded to IDMAX and OMGWTFBBQ I never knew the music had bass with the JL W6v2.

I killed the surround foam on my W6v2 when trying to extract more bass out of it. true story. lol.
IDMax is kinda old la. I'm surprised you said the W6v2 is that bad. I've yet to hear anything that's actually better than it, IDMax inclusive. IDMax is pretty hard hitting but it's slower than the W6, not that it'll be obvious or what la.

Oh well, really depends on your power source, box, car, etc. ICE is so subjective yeah?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
IDMax is kinda old la. I'm surprised you said the W6v2 is that bad. I've yet to hear anything that's actually better than it, IDMax inclusive. IDMax is pretty hard hitting but it's slower than the W6, not that it'll be obvious or what la.

Oh well, really depends on your power source, box, car, etc. ICE is so subjective yeah?
well put it this way, the w6v2 was in a JL Audio recommended box volume, and is rated 500w RMS by JL Audio, so I powered it with JL Audio's 500w RMS 500/1 monoblock.

in any case, JL Audio lied to me, cause the w6v2 blew
#1 the w6v2 cannot handle 500w RMS, thus they lied about the specs
OR
#2 the 500/1 deliver way more than 500w RMS, thus they lied about the specs

and which IDMAX you heard? the v3 is significantly improved from their initial v1 batch. the v3 has redesigned radiator, redesigned basket, new surround, new spider etc.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
well put it this way, the w6v2 was in a JL Audio recommended box volume, and is rated 500w RMS by JL Audio, so I powered it with JL Audio's 500w RMS 500/1 monoblock.

in any case, JL Audio lied to me, cause the w6v2 blew
#1 the w6v2 cannot handle 500w RMS, thus they lied about the specs
OR
#2 the 500/1 deliver way more than 500w RMS, thus they lied about the specs

and which IDMAX you heard? the v3 is significantly improved from their initial v1 batch. the v3 has redesigned radiator, redesigned basket, new surround, new spider etc.
Wah.. I dunno how you managed to blow a W6v2! I've never been so "lucky". Anyway mine was a loaner so I had to return it. Hehe.. stuck in the end with the budget alternative, Boston G5. I think if you look at my Rear strut bar install feature you can see what amp i'm using to power it. 1000/1 :biggrin:

Oooh.. IDMax V3? :nurse: The one I heard loooooooooooong loooooooooong time ago was v1. One helluva big ass heavy ass everything ass sub! But just that slightly slower when playing Pirates of the Carribean #1 theme song. Not that it matters cuz I don't really listen to that CD anyway.

Ede61

Known Member
Sep 4, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
What about this woofer?
-Kicker Comp VR 12 CVR 12

Is the JL still better? And planning to have an SQ set up.. Not so much of the vibrations bass.. More to the solid kick bass kind in a sealed box..

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I like JL because it does not require lots of power to be able to deliver a solid low end punch. So it saves you money since you don't need to buy huge amps to drive them. Boston is also good but as far as I know in general they need more powerful amps to drive them. But I saw some old Boston subs (cannot remember the model anymore) can use very small box, so it saves you space, whereby most JL requires relatively bigger box.
CMIIW though, since I'm just a newbie and have not followed car audio so long now. :)

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What about this woofer?
-Kicker Comp VR 12 CVR 12

Is the JL still better? And planning to have an SQ set up.. Not so much of the vibrations bass.. More to the solid kick bass kind in a sealed box..
Dude seriously... just get whatever sub that suites your budget. Unless you have super high end ears and tell the difference between a thump and a thud, you won't really hear the difference in sound. However if you have the budget, the JL is still better.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone can spare some tips or advice on how to make the engine run at optimum performance? I just overhauled the whole engine recently, and am trying to know what simple mods are the best for this engine. Mated to a 3spd auto gearbox btw. (I know the gearbox sucks)

Really need some good advice to make it a worthy engine :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience