Body rust, holes & bubbles

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Hey ppl. I have an issue which got to do with my Iswara's body work. My car is almost 10years of age and the external shell of the car has been getting hell of a beating from the weather, bird shits & so on. Now, bubbles (small & big) are surfacing on the front engine bonnet & roof. Worst of all, the rust has eaten through the metal and now, holes!:bawling:. One miserable on the engine bonnet, one more on my car's roof:mad:.

Temporarily, I'm using black water prove tape to cover the rusty holes. Won't last long of course. My mech said should replace with new metal cover, but it will cost me RM2500++ with painting. Well, thats alot. I've been reading and researching on alternatives. Patching up the damage is one option. Any shop in Penang which I could get it patched?. Thought of DIY, but the amount of tools & "kachang" needed, wow.

Do voice out your opinions & ideas as I want to keep my precious Iswara at it's best:proud:. Appreciate it!...

Joe

Bump: *Will post up pictures tonight on the damages.

jada_bloom

Known Member
Jun 1, 2009
For the front bonnet, i suggest u to change a new/recond set while the roof i dont think "patching" up would solve the issue because the rust will slowly "eat" the roof and body in the long run. u need to change/cut the whole roof.:viking::viking:
just my opinion

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Pictures of the damaged cause by our Malaysian weather... lolx.

Bump: Well, not change car so soon lo. This Iswara of mine maybe gonna use another 5years. Save money first. hehex...

Bump:
For the front bonnet, i suggest u to change a new/recond set while the roof i dont think "patching" up would solve the issue because the rust will slowly "eat" the roof and body in the long run. u need to change/cut the whole roof.:viking::viking:
just my opinion
Agreed that patching it up will not solve it permanently. Well, if I do change the whole roof & bonnet, how much will it set me back?. I meant from half-cut shops.

Attachments

Janson911

Known Member
Feb 1, 2008
Bro...Last time i have same problem about rusting on the roof...I juz go to the paint shop ask them if i juz put 1 layer of fiber on the roof den put anti-rust b4 painting.He said dat if do dis way can tahan about 4 to 5 months oni...But he suggest me if wanna do dis way,1st thing is move out the root n den wash n clear the rust n gum 1st den put new gum,fiber n anti-rust ....Therefore i try on dis way,as the result until now still nothing the bubbles cum out...Dis way save cost than change to the new 1...But its my 2 cents oni....:idea:

Last edited:

jada_bloom

Known Member
Jun 1, 2009

Bump: Well, not change car so soon lo. This Iswara of mine maybe gonna use another 5years. Save money first. hehex...

Bump:

Agreed that patching it up will not solve it permanently. Well, if I do change the whole roof & bonnet, how much will it set me back?. I meant from half-cut shops.
i am not sure if the half cut has the parts for proton as i am aware of, u could try and ask the local service/workshop for qoutation:listen:

Bump:

Bump:

i am not sure if the half cut has the parts for proton as i am aware of, u could try and ask the local service/workshop for quotation:listen:

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Bro...Last time i have same problem about rusting on the roof...I juz go to the paint shop ask them if i juz put 1 layer of fiber on the roof den put anti-rust b4 painting.He said dat if do dis way can tahan about 4 to 5 months oni...But he suggest me if wanna do dis way,1st thing is move out the root n den wash n clear the rust n gum 1st den put new gum,fiber n anti-rust ....Therefore i try on dis way,as the result until now still nothing the bubbles cum out...Dis way save cost than change to the new 1...But its my 2 cents oni....:idea:

Not too bad of an idea. How long did that take & how much was it when you did it?.

My personal initial idea was to cut out the rusty part & get it cleaned. Replace with a custom cut out piece and weld it back with anti-rust, etc done accordingly. But have to get it painted if not the welded lining will get rusty. Then even more holy shit...

Bump:
i am not sure if the half cut has the parts for proton as i am aware of, u could try and ask the local service/workshop for qoutation:listen:

Bump:

i am not sure if the half cut has the parts for proton as i am aware of, u could try and ask the local service/workshop for quotation:listen:

Serious?. Thought Proton is a national car & half-cut shops should have tonnes of goodies for it. Have quite a tight schedule. Must go search around Penang for workshop to inquire.

My current foreman is good. But he is making his stand on changing the whole roof & bonnet which could sum to RM1500++. Not the amount of money I wanna spend now on my car. Well, standard full body painting will be around RM1k estimated.

Bump: In the 1st place, how does the bubbles which leads to horrible holes on the body starts?. I know the weather and all. But what causes it to emerge?. What I have on my mind :

1.Bird shit(zzz). Didn't wash off and the acid sips into the paint?.
2.Bad paint work. Got micro air bubbles trapped between car body metal & paint layer?
3.Super miserable Malaysian weather. Damn hot sun then bloody long heavy rains. (HOT & COLD). So the metal expands & retracts causing microscopic gaps?.

Janson911

Known Member
Feb 1, 2008
Not too bad of an idea. How long did that take & how much was it when you did it?.

My personal initial idea was to cut out the rusty part & get it cleaned. Replace with a custom cut out piece and weld it back with anti-rust, etc done accordingly. But have to get it painted if not the welded lining will get rusty. Then even more holy shit...

Bump:

Serious?. Thought Proton is a national car & half-cut shops should have tonnes of goodies for it. Have quite a tight schedule. Must go search around Penang for workshop to inquire.

My current foreman is good. But he is making his stand on changing the whole roof & bonnet which could sum to RM1500++. Not the amount of money I wanna spend now on my car. Well, standard full body painting will be around RM1k estimated.

Bump: In the 1st place, how does the bubbles which leads to horrible holes on the body starts?. I know the weather and all. But what causes it to emerge?. What I have on my mind :

1.Bird shit(zzz). Didn't wash off and the acid sips into the paint?.
2.Bad paint work. Got micro air bubbles trapped between car body metal & paint layer?
3.Super miserable Malaysian weather. Damn hot sun then bloody long heavy rains. (HOT & COLD). So the metal expands & retracts causing microscopic gaps?.
I did it from end of last year,about the its depand on the painting shop.for me ady cost me about RM300 plus painting la...U not need to cut out the rust to replace it again....Juz going to ask some painting shop dat how to solve the rust problem on ur roof n bonnet....If u hv money den better change the new proton genius part not made in taiwan de....Erm,in dis 3 statement,no.2 n no.3 statement is possible will coz dis rusting n bubbles cum out problem....:biggrin:

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
i would agree on the 3rd statement...:smokin:
Well, from where I work, my pitiful car has to be under the weather everyday. Tried covering with a protective layer, no use. The plastic layer itself got burned, inside the car worst than the heat of hell, bird shit all over ma layer & bla bla bla.

Statement ! "All In All, Malaysian Weather Kan Na Sai !" :thefinger:

Bump:
I did it from end of last year,about the its depand on the painting shop.for me ady cost me about RM300 plus painting la...U not need to cut out the rust to replace it again....Juz going to ask some painting shop dat how to solve the rust problem on ur roof n bonnet....If u hv money den better change the new proton genius part not made in taiwan de....Erm,in dis 3 statement,no.2 n no.3 statement is possible will coz dis rusting n bubbles cum out problem....:biggrin:

Looks like I'm looking at the wrong shops. Like you said, you went though painting shops. Will do that. Well, RM300 seems pretty reasonable. WITH painting!!!. Initial budget was to solve the rust thingy @ RM500 +-. Got money sure change the whole roof & bonnet to big amount. Kena "BOMB"

The 3 statements are just rough thoughts I could think of. Bird Shit don't do damage?. It's acidic rite?.

Besides, whats wrong with the taiwan products?. Low quality?. Crappy R&D?.

jada_bloom

Known Member
Jun 1, 2009
yeah, the weather is bad....but blame it on us, the human being for polluting the environment...
:wavey::wavey:

Janson911

Known Member
Feb 1, 2008
Well, from where I work, my pitiful car has to be under the weather everyday. Tried covering with a protective layer, no use. The plastic layer itself got burned, inside the car worst than the heat of hell, bird shit all over ma layer & bla bla bla.

Statement ! "All In All, Malaysian Weather Kan Na Sai !" :thefinger:

Bump:

Looks like I'm looking at the wrong shops. Like you said, you went though painting shops. Will do that. Well, RM300 seems pretty reasonable. WITH painting!!!. Initial budget was to solve the rust thingy @ RM500 +-. Got money sure change the whole roof & bonnet to big amount. Kena "BOMB"

The 3 statements are just rough thoughts I could think of. Bird Shit don't do damage?. It's acidic rite?.

Besides, whats wrong with the taiwan products?. Low quality?. Crappy R&D?.
Er,bro...The painting guy is my uncle lo...so maybe he cost me cheaper kua...But roughly if u go other shop ask mostly are about Rm400 to 550 like dat....So u ur s wan about rm500net is not so expensive oso la....About the taiwan products are not trustable becoz there hv many manufacturing of those product proton parts n accessories,so hv different quality...But wat i noe dat taiwan plastic product are very low quality wan la!Bird shit ah?maybe can cause damage but juz a small influence oni kua...not sure.:hmmmm:

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
where u park the car???so big the hole...mine is already 12 years old iswara never painted before.rear doors starting to rust already.

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
yeah, the weather is bad....but blame it on us, the human being for polluting the environment...
:wavey::wavey:
Well, yea we do have to take responsibility of the damage caused to mother nature. At least catalytic converter is fitted standard on all factory produced cars. Wanna hentam, should hentam those public transportation vehicles. Buses like never service for centuries. Smoke black as tar. Especially when the driver steps on the oil peddle kau kau... You know the story

Bump:
Er,bro...The painting guy is my uncle lo...so maybe he cost me cheaper kua...But roughly if u go other shop ask mostly are about Rm400 to 550 like dat....So u ur s wan about rm500net is not so expensive oso la....About the taiwan products are not trustable becoz there hv many manufacturing of those product proton parts n accessories,so hv different quality...But wat i noe dat taiwan plastic product are very low quality wan la!Bird shit ah?maybe can cause damage but juz a small influence oni kua...not sure.:hmmmm:
Glad to have family members in the automotive field. I do not. :rolleyes: Haven't got time to scout around for repairs yet. Noted well on Taiwan products. Will try keeping away from them.

How do you make sure your car's external body to be always in good shape?. I used to frequently wash & polish my car. But after the "cute" bubbles started, not much d...

Bump:
where u park the car???so big the hole...mine is already 12 years old iswara never painted before.rear doors starting to rust already.
Home, park outside (under hot sun & rain). Let parents park their car inside house better ma. Office, same. Under the weather. Wow!. 12years. Amazing. Did any engine overhauls?. Let me guess, bottom part of your door panels rusting?.

Besides, what colour is ur car?. Think the colour plays a big role. Mine is super dark dark grey which looks like black but not black. :biggrin:

Bump:
Home, park outside (under hot sun & rain). Let parents park their car inside house better ma. Office, same. Under the weather. Wow!. 12years. Amazing. Did any engine overhauls?. Let me guess, bottom part of your door panels rusting?.

Besides, what colour is ur car?. Think the colour plays a big role. Mine is super dark dark grey which looks like black but not black. :biggrin:

josephlauby

Known Member
Apr 10, 2009
Penang
Appreciate the assistance given ppl. I've decided to "Bondo" the rusted parts with added anti-rust for the holes. Bubbles le, sand paper it off. Don't care d. How to make my exterior nice?. Hehex. Will stick look-alike carbon fibre sticker. Tough shit i heard:smokin:. Can tahan our miserable weather... Changing the whole roof & bonnet is too much for me. But when I have the funds, will do so immediately. :biggrin:

Thanks again!!!...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We have here today a Audi A4. Brand new and unwashed! Its like a fresh new paint waiting to be pampered.

Because the car is relatively new hence its not in a very dirty state, we then moved on to the surface inspection and we found almost nothing, not even...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience