BMW pulls the plug on WTCC

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Things might be top of the stakes for their production cars with the 1M Coupe on the way as well as the brand new F10 M5 but on the circuit it’s a bleak affair for BMW, having broken many hearts by leaving the Formula One circuit at the end of last season. The trend continues as they have just announced that they’re pulling out their factory-backed team from the World Touring Car Championship next season.

A change in leadership at BMW Motorsports, that sees director Mario Theissen leaving to be replaced by Jens Marquardt, no doubt played a part in the decision to quit the WTCC. Those eagle-eyed would have seen it coming though, as they cut down from three teams to just one for this year.

The move to compete in the DTM series against Audi and Mercedes-Benz looks to have replaced their commitment to the single WTCC team as well.

Nonetheless, independent teams can still acquire the WTCC-specced 320TC from BMW. Seat took a similar step this season after it won the title last season as well. Following BMW’s departure from the series, the only factory-backed teams left in the championship would be Chevrolet and Volvo, that made the jump for next season after dominating the Swedish Touring Car Series in its homeland.

Source: Autoblog

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
Not bleak if you look at it the bigger picture. It makes more sense for BMW to compete againts their market competitors on both race circuits and car markets.

WTCC is turning into a bore with privateer diesel SEATs and FWD Chevrolets. big yawn

in 2011 BMW with the M3 GT2 will enter endurance racing, competing againts sportscars llike Porsche and Ferraris and in 2012 they're returning to the specatcular DTM againts Audis and Mercedes..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
nice timing for proton to enter with neo s2000....

last time waja can fight equally with RWD layout in BTCC...now why not WTCC

:adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey fellow ztrians, can i use the normal wax or polish for any carbon fibre products..or must i get any special ones? and how do i distinguish which is a quality carbon fibre and which is the ciplak one?thanks for the info
:lol:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience