Before I buy a Ford Focus. Please Advice

zerotian

Sep 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, everyone. People out there. Maestro, master sifu, car owners, car enthusiast car

kaki, those of you who have seen the light of days better than me. Those who have own and

change cars, those who can decide better than me. Come I really needs your advice.

So I've test driven the Civic, Lancer and Focus, and next week Altis. My heart was and

is caught and have concluded that the Focus is the best among the lots. It seems to be

superior all over and has all the safety and goodies. I have almost paid the booking fees

and downpayment. But my head is againts the idea of buying a Focus. So, I'm giving myself

a week or so to say no and get back to my rational.

So please ppl let me know what is negative of owning a Ford Focus? Have been searching

in this forum there seems to be no real topic on the Focus. Fiesta seems to have it but

not the Focus. Googling seems to indicate that this is not the car to own. I concluded

that the car has

1) Teribble after sells service,
2) Expensive Parts.
3) Difficult to get parts
4) and worst resale value.

Now what your advice? I need to know the cost of owning a Ford Focus as I'm inexperience.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You pretty much have all the points covered. The Ford Focus ST? Or the sedan?

Either one the Focus is an awesome ride but be prepared to have to pay expensive maintenance bills especially if you go back to Ford themselves to do the servicing. A simple battery change can set you back quite a bit because of the way it's placed in the bay (requires removing quite a bit of stuff) and then driveshafts cost in the 1k+ range, less aftermarket options and generally it's all about the $$$.

If these things don't bother you then it's a good car. Maybe you could ask some Fiesta owners here where they get their cars done then can pick it up from there.

option1978

Known Member
May 25, 2009
Over a year ago, I was looking at Ford Focus as my next ride & was so tempted to get but like yourself, decided to spend more time to research about it & see if i can afford to maintain it.

Finally after about a month of research, decided to drop my plan due to the problems that you have mentioned in your post. With that, maintenance can be a big problem & costly affair. Worst if any parts breakdown, might be a hassle to get the replacement.

As for aftermarket parts, googled around & found that there are plenty abroad (in the US & Taiwan if not mistaken). Price wise, quite reasonable.

At the end of the day, it's all depending on whether you have the time & patience to maintain this car. For me, i don't have the time & i'm not ready to spend a fortune just to maintain a car.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Is a real nice car and 250HP is really a decent power from a 2.0. Considering
it as RM200K+ priced car, maintenance surely won't be cheap.

Well, if you can afford the car, you afford the maintenance :smile:

Just waiting for the new Ford Focus RS to be unveil in 2014. 350HP at
least 100HP extra.

That would be a good buy.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
You covered all the points. Imagine... rock from lorry hit your windscreen, didn't go through, because windscreens are laminated glass (and you have tint) and the whole glass shattered. you can't see shit captain.

Go service center, they say you have to wait 2 weeks for a replacement windscreen. How? That's just an example, I know for a fact Proton, Perodua, Toyota, Honda, you drive anywhere also got replacement windscreen. (Don't talk about those parallel import Toyota or Honda not available here la)

That being said, it is a good car, and you would be different from the usual Hondas and Toyotas, but you pay a price to be different. Also, booking a service is going to be a hassle. What would be the earliest date available for service if you were to call today? Better find out. Cause you're gonna live with the car for a few years.

I would say if you like the Lancer (or can live with it), buy the Proton Inspira and save the extra cash.

halycon

Sep 28, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
If you are looking for resale value buy (choose any of the following) - Honda / Toyota / Proton / Perodua / (fill in the blanks)

If you are looking for the joy of driving get a driver's car ...... (you are after all spending nearly 2 hours every day in it)

Additional Plus points for Focus

1. No one will steal your car ... :biggrin: thieves can't find anyone to sell it to [Don't need to worry like the Honda / Toyota / Proton / Perodua / (fill in the blanks) owners ]
2. Driver oriented car decent to couple as family car

infinity.melvin

SlowPoke
Jul 4, 2006
kuala lumpur
I would beg to differ.

1)bad aftersale service/SC problems - probably those days yes, but now more and more 3s ford opening in several places. So far after owning a ford fiesta for 5 months, already 3 has opened (1 in KL, 2 in outstation). As for me I always service at penchala SC (Capital Intertrade). Top notch service I would say, and faulty parts they will replace it probably have to wait several weeks as they don't have ready stock item. The follow up is good, and they replace without questioning much. I have had worst experience from perodua, proton,Toyota & even Honda before, so this is a plus for me. Service wise for focus I have no experience or knowledge, but for fiesta its 3 years free service & 5 year warranty even include wipers, brake pad etc etc some of the wear & tear items but not all. So far only service once with my pocket money as the free service is every 10k km, my butt itchy I went to service at my own expense @ 5k km. Cost me roughly 270+ for fully syn, oil filter & labour which is pretty reasonable to me. And also, no need to make booking. Usually I just drive over on weekdays if I have time or when I'm free. Straight away they attend to me. Only bookings needed probably on weekends. again, I'm only speaking based on my experience @ penchala ford SC.

Infact, Peugeot is even worst.. I've tried calling the glenmarie new Peugeot SC for service, and it was fully booked for the following 2-3 weeks ahead. Perhaps it differs from 1 SC to another..

2)bad resale value - well for me, a car is never an investment. If u looking for good returns, look elsewhere buying a car is never profitable. If u like a car and would be driving it for a very long time, go for it. Usually price drops most the first 1-2 years of ownership. If u do some research, it is actually the same for even mitsu lancer (as I was eyeing on 2nd hand lancer gt before getting my fiesta). After that, the resale value won't Drop much for the following years..

3)expensive parts - well of course u can't compare to local cars. But again, parts for mitsu is not exactly cheap too (unless u take from inspira, probably cheaper than ori mitsu). My Sis Toyota got some minor faulty parts changed also cost a bomb from SC. So it is depending on what u compare with. Nowadays alot of aftermarket parts imported from overseas are quite cheap (can have a look in eBay and do the calculations). Our ford fiesta is manufactured from Thailand, and there's heaps of parts there.. Which is not too far away too. Then again, I'm speaking on fiesta. For focus I have no experience.

Perhaps u can have a look at Ford Owners Club Malaysia and ask the pros there more on the new focus.

Just my humble 0.0000000microscopicly2 cents. Proud owner of a fiesta, loving it every single day!

ckl7480

Oct 23, 2006
Dear Zerotian,

I am owner of ford focus. I may give you some real feedback after i been use that on 3 years.

1. Maintenance : The ford focus servicing times was 10000km, compare to japanese car. Because this car was bulit for last. the normal service is no so expensive too. Pls dont compare to small CC car. This is 2.0 liter car. The spare parts will be expensive compare to japanese car. because it was 100% import from overseas. The market seldom to have it. So 100% genuine spare part too. So far i use 3 years no even repair it, just change the engine oil. The engine still smooth and gearbox still very powerful. I am heavy foot user too.

2. Fuel consumption : Quite decent. No too much no too less. 1 tank RM80-90 around 400KM-450KM depend on usage too. If highway keep the speed at 110KM/H, it can easily hit the 500KM-600KM. i remember last time i one tank arrive bidor. But speed keep at 90km/H-100KM/H.

3. Handling : Frankly speaking Japanese car may good at top speed, but this focus handling performances was very stable at every speed. i been goes up to 230KM/H, but still can corner too. ( Not courage danger driving). I am no racer but focus can reach your speed anytime with few second only not more than 1 minutes.

4. Second value : Don't think about that. once you buy, definitely you lose so much. depend on yourself.

5. Service center : so far i quite satisfied their service. 85% of happy. :driver:

so far i am very happy with my ford. i even want to upgrade to mondeo.
If you want more information, you can go to this website : www.fomec.org

Happy with ford , dare to different.

l2_moderno

Feb 11, 2009
Saujana Putra
after couple of years planning to buy new car, do some reaearch then i cn choose ford focus tdci is de best..even before im just crazy about honda..myb my tdci diesel is the last new avble come out..5 reason y, is bcoz of the powerfull engine, fuel saver, strong body, cmfrtable & unique design..planning to use until in the end... :)

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
Buy a car for the joy, safety, features and peace of mind it offers you. If you are going to worry about depreciation and constant repairs, then just take the bus. Even the fastest, best and most expensive cars require servicing and repairs every now and then, what more a daily drive? Even our own body breaks down every once a while, its how well we take care of it that determines how well it functions.

I will vouch for the brand (but not the after sales support) as I still drive a 1983 Ford Laser 1.5cc. Have it for almost 10 years now. She can go up to 150 km\h on the highway and is stabil, unlike even 5-10 year old Protons. Its all in the built quality, hence the Brand. Read up on local, foreign private owners and magazine reviews on the car to know it better, before you decide on a purchase.
My personal opinion, go for it.

Last edited:

ZENSPEED

Known Member
Feb 12, 2005
MALACCA
Visit site
maintenance wise- source parts from thailand, is much more cheaper.
previously own a ford laser tx3 1.8 for 11 years. only change engine mounting once. must buy genuine part ofcoz. compare my putra ( every month enter workshop).

ayiaw84

Apr 10, 2005
decided yet? no need think so much la, its the best value for money car right now, just book it, the most is me and you share problem by middle of this year nia. hahahaha..

alpina

Apr 7, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The Penchala SC got shitty parking. Sometimes cannot even get out. Often must park further away and call the service people outside.

driftstreet_911

Nov 5, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Bro,

you may need my personal advise here.
Currently i own a Ford Fiesta.
F*** unfortunately it broke down and had to send for repair.
You never wanted to know how muct to cost.
My car engine broke and water come in.
They roughly give me a " rough figure " of a quotation.
It's Rm 23k !!! Are you fucking kidding me???
You will never spent Rm 23k on any JAPANESE car Bro !!!
Ever you swipe engine !!! WTF????!!!
Fucking non-sense.

Trust me, all the Spare parts are not cheap.
If you are also horsepower guy/ modify guy;
Do Not Go For Ford.

Cheers.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Fuel regulator.
Its quite common in modification scenario.
Actually what the actual function of the fuel regulator?
Just in doubt, because many of car owners make this item as a compulsory item. Must get? hot items
And to make it clear, can fuel regulator add more hp?
Or just to prevent any problem that will rise later
And or only to make your engine bay look nice (bling.bling)
Please describe?
Sorry for this basic questions, cos im newbie
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience