BC V1 Coilover [ZC31S}

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
hi everyone,

i wanna ask all BC V1 coilover owner. Do you....

* feel bumpy even on straight road with hard setting (I am feel like riding a horse now)
* have soft weird squeaking noise (like rubber rubbing on each other)
* have a one weird knocking sound when full right steering turn

i am experiencing all the above on my 2007 swift sport , sound from front right.is it faulty and gone case?
what setting are you currently at for front and rear?
Are you using BC spring 4KG / part number 62.180.004?

thanks in advance

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
Newly installed?

sounds like your rear springs have too much preload. do you have pics of your rear setup? (both, when the car is on a ramp and at rest (under full compression))

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
Newly installed?

sounds like your rear springs have too much preload. do you have pics of your rear setup? (both, when the car is on a ramp and at rest (under full compression))
thanks for your reply.
my issue solved due to max on both F & R (my itchy finger).
i send to my mechanic and he took my car spin one round came back, set to 25F 18R.
currently not as bumpy as before, no sound when moving off.
haven't tried u-turn for knocking sound (will update soon).

***UPDATED***:
U-Turn do not have knocking sound anymore, will keep a look out further.
still hear slight squeaky sound from the front right side when moving off & normal cruise speed

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

btw i heard that no matter what setting you are at.
BC V1 is a bumpy coilover in default, just a matter how bumpy it will be.
unless change to other brand :laugh:

Last edited:

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Actually, by bumpy, do you mean harsh ride or bumpy? Bumpy (up and down like sampan) is caused by insufficient damping rate which means the damper is set to too soft compared to the spring that you have. On the other hand, by harsh, it probably means you have the spring is to hard and damping set to too hard/high for your car. So which is it?

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
Actually, by bumpy, do you mean harsh ride or bumpy? Bumpy (up and down like sampan) is caused by insufficient damping rate which means the damper is set to too soft compared to the spring that you have. On the other hand, by harsh, it probably means you have the spring is to hard and damping set to too hard/high for your car. So which is it?
Thx geforcextreme for replying
My bumpy means like I riding on a horse (up down) on straight even road @ 30F 30R by my own itchy hand setting.

Right now on 25F 18R setting done by mechanic, it feel much better than earlier. But still feel slight bumpy on straight road though within my acceptable "comfort" zone. the spring that come with BC V1 is 4KG type in default. I have checked with other fellow BC V1 users, they also told me is bumpy on theirs too.

Lastly pertaining to the rubber rubbing squeeky sound came from my front right side. Under this new 25F 18R setting, it no longer obvious but at times can hear slight sound off when in normal cruzing speed or move off speed.

I am not sure what else to do..it getting on my nerves too. Prolly I change to other brand or move to non-coilover . Maybe you can share more insight and advice for me . Thanks

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
Like i mentioned, you probably have too much preload.. or wrong setup at the rear, causing your shocks riding on bump stops rather than springs to control the oscillation.

post some pics of the coilover on your car. lets see if we can sort it out.

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
Like i mentioned, you probably have too much preload.. or wrong setup at the rear, causing your shocks riding on bump stops rather than springs to control the oscillation.

post some pics of the coilover on your car. lets see if we can sort it out.
later i try take some pics and upload here

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

***UPDATED WITH PIC***

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

height adjusted pic

Front 1 finger gap / Rear 1.5 finger gap

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I think your bumpy means harsh or stiff ride. It's normal for coil overs especially if you set it to max hard. You will feel all the imperfections of the road. Some ppl call that better handling, but others don't like it because it is uncomfortable. Changing to another brand probably won't help much. BC racing is a good brand, just spend more time adjusting to your taste, instead of making it hard, maybe go the other way.

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
I think your bumpy means harsh or stiff ride. It's normal for coil overs especially if you set it to max hard. You will feel all the imperfections of the road. Some ppl call that better handling, but others don't like it because it is uncomfortable. Changing to another brand probably won't help much. BC racing is a good brand, just spend more time adjusting to your taste, instead of making it hard, maybe go the other way.
Thanks once again geforcextreme

Yeap now I m on another setting 25/18...
Maybe next week I try 25/20 like other zc31s recommended me

Only thing now is the sound from right front coilover is irritating probably it a sign of replacement

GEFORCEXTREME

Known Member
Nov 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think it's because it's hitting the bumpstop. Bumpstop are hit when the damper is soft and you have exceeded the stroke of the absorber. Too much preload means you are compressing the springs and that will probably make hitting the bumpstop harder.

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
I don't think it's because it's hitting the bumpstop. Bumpstop are hit when the damper is soft and you have exceeded the stroke of the absorber. Too much preload means you are compressing the springs and that will probably make hitting the bumpstop harder.
-

any recommendation as in i should go softer than current like 18/20?
what if i change the spring?

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
-

any recommendation as in i should go softer than current like 18/20?
what if i change the spring?
your rear springs look fine. none of them are binding.. how is the front springs being set up? the upper perch should be adjusted in such a way that it holds the springs without tension when the car is jacked up. springs should be snug enough without freeplay but still allows the spring to rotate. if you can't turn the springs using your hand, most likely the springs have too much preload.

that's on the installation. assuming front and rear installed ok, it is just a matter of playing the soft/hard settings. adjust as you like..

but if it's still bumpy, then probably the BC doesn't give the ride quality as you expected.:driver:

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
your rear springs look fine. none of them are binding.. how is the front springs being set up? the upper perch should be adjusted in such a way that it holds the springs without tension when the car is jacked up. springs should be snug enough without freeplay but still allows the spring to rotate. if you can't turn the springs using your hand, most likely the springs have too much preload.
let me try with car jack up & turn the springs like you suggested. check for preload

that's on the installation. assuming front and rear installed ok, it is just a matter of playing the soft/hard settings. adjust as you like..
i will further adjust and fine tune to my "likeness" after checking the preload thingy

but if it's still bumpy, then probably the BC doesn't give the ride quality as you expected.:driver:
currently with the new setting 25/18, it much less bumpy though still experience it at certain moments but within my acceptable range. consider case closed here.

my concern now is the squeaky sound problem still persist from right front, moving off & cruise speed
have slight squeak sound. Someone told me to get my shock suspension thrust bearing and mounting check immediately. also maybe send in to service the right piece damper that giving that stupid noise as well.

Last edited:

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
my concern now is the squeaky sound problem still persist from right front, moving off & cruise speed
have slight squeak sound. Someone told me to get my shock suspension thrust bearing and mounting check immediately.
in the second pic, the springs doesn't look 'straight'.. and maybe just camera effect?

dem0nel

May 18, 2014
Singapore
in the second pic, the springs doesn't look 'straight'.. and maybe just camera effect?
good eye sight...i noticed it but keep quiet see anyone reply :biggrin:

this is the right piece that giving off the sound / knock earlier.
someone told me usually the squeaky sound main culprit is damper. And BC V1 can be serviced with a small sum fee of SGD$150.00 (RM375) by the distributor in SG.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi sifu;s & fren's, my close relatives car had been stolen this morning below is the car descriptions :

Proton Iswara sedan
colour: blue
plate no : WFJ 5715
last seen locations : near Carrefour Peel Road, Kuala lumpur.

I hope ZTH member can help to locate this car.
I know this is a very ordinary car, but it means much to its owner.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience