Battery relocation

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi guys....battery relocation from engine compartment to rear hood..

- pros n cons
- advantages n disadvantages
- how long does it take
- cost

Just wondering coz it came up in a book I was reading..

Thanx

Fazid

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
need to be done properly..if not problem will come if you are unlucky...
Yeah bro that's y I'm asking...I know d damage it will cause if x done proper...but I'm x planning to do it....yet hehe...just something I bump into while reading...

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi guys....battery relocation from engine compartment to rear hood..

- pros n cons
- advantages n disadvantages
- how long does it take
- cost

Just wondering coz it came up in a book I was reading..

Thanx

Fazid
Pros : It lightens the front out (quite significant if you have a sensitive butt like mine) and distributes the weight to the back quite nicely. More space for forced induction goodies. :biggrin:

Cons : You need to have a relocator kit and the wires used need to be industrial grade. Otherwise one fine day you'll find that you can't start up the car. The other thing is the battery will release fumes, you may or may not realize it. So you need to have a properly done box to seal it up and it takes up boot space.

Costs depends on quality of materials used. The sample I saw in my friends car - he used 0 gauge cables which were something like RM50 per meter and about 5m was used. The relocation kit costs something like RM300 then the custom made aluminum box about RM200. Then the spare battery used to jump start his car after a month of using this setup another RM200. Then money spent on getting those orange industrial cables and a bigger alternator about RM400 all in.

So yeah.. it's not exactly expensive but do it right the first time and it won't burn a hole in your pocket :biggrin:

Johnson Lam did it in his Evo X.
I'm also interested.

Hmm, instead. Why not diy a capacitor as battery. :biggrin:

I was learning some electrical stuffs then stumble upon these. Man, this guy is crazy. Look how much weight is saved.
That's bloody interesting! But I have a feeling those caps won't be able to last long with the constant charging and discharging, and normally our voltage doesn't maintain constant, it jumps with a 1 to 2 variance so that inconsistent power will wear out these caps even faster. I guess racing application would be awesome, but for a daily drive I wouldn't risk using this.

fazidk

3,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Daaaarn....x know it'll cost so much...well scratch out that idea....for now:(

Pros : It lightens the front out (quite significant if you have a sensitive butt like mine) and distributes the weight to the back quite nicely. More space for forced induction goodies. :biggrin:

Cons : You need to have a relocator kit and the wires used need to be industrial grade. Otherwise one fine day you'll find that you can't start up the car. The other thing is the battery will release fumes, you may or may not realize it. So you need to have a properly done box to seal it up and it takes up boot space.

Costs depends on quality of materials used. The sample I saw in my friends car - he used 0 gauge cables which were something like RM50 per meter and about 5m was used. The relocation kit costs something like RM300 then the custom made aluminum box about RM200. Then the spare battery used to jump start his car after a month of using this setup another RM200. Then money spent on getting those orange industrial cables and a bigger alternator about RM400 all in.

So yeah.. it's not exactly expensive but do it right the first time and it won't burn a hole in your pocket :biggrin:

That's bloody interesting! But I have a feeling those caps won't be able to last long with the constant charging and discharging, and normally our voltage doesn't maintain constant, it jumps with a 1 to 2 variance so that inconsistent power will wear out these caps even faster. I guess racing application would be awesome, but for a daily drive I wouldn't risk using this.

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan
ok heres a quick ghetto setup.

1. what you need is extra thick welding cable wire,u acn get em at lelong.com.my (Its better than mine,now feel itchy hand but too lazy to redo it again)
2.use larger battery at the back of course,if you use NS60,maybe you can upgrade NS70 or even better use DIN66 type, it has more CCA power, so it will crank without an issue.
3.gounding point, one of the important part in the modification,dont use cheap cable for the grounding point,it is as important as positive cable
4.light flickers when braking or using signal, this problem still occurs,even noticeable when using LED bulb. Maybe need to use voltage stabilizers(still in progress,need fund)

spoon civic

Known Member
Jul 12, 2012
terengganu
Yeah bro that's y I'm asking...I know d damage it will cause if x done proper...but I'm x planning to do it....yet hehe...just something I bump into while reading...
pls do at competent wiring shop.make sure wire use big enough and short body wire install properly.if not maybe some stuff at your engine will get problem such as starter always kong or etc...just my 2 cents...

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
On top of all, DIY relocation of battery to the rear is ILLEGAL in the eye of the law. IF your car kana accident, I am very sure the insurance company will check and they will be happily to void your claims when they have found illegality of the battery relocation...

This is true story from my buddy working at a well known motor insurance company in Maresia...:biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
boot besar ma. Hahahaha
You still single mah!....hahaha:rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

On top of all, DIY relocation of battery to the rear is ILLEGAL in the eye of the law. IF your car kana accident, I am very sure the insurance company will check and they will be happily to void your claims when they have found illegality of the battery relocation...

This is true story from my buddy working at a well known motor insurance company in Maresia...:biggrin:
What about those cars original with battery already in the boot?:confused: