B8 Passat 380TSI or F32 428i Coupe?

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
All Senpais,

Which is the way to go for my selections of cars, B8 Passat 380TSI (new) or F32 428i coupe (2nd hand) having priced very similar at RM 158k?

I am rather torn in between 2 due to the fact that I love the DSG experience on the Pasat while wide track rear wheel drive machine is highly desirable as well. Additionally, the N20 engine on the beemer seems to have some issues with oil drip head gasket and timing chain guide which are rather a concern to me.

Hence, I appreciate all your insights

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I think both cars have their pros and cons. Just choose the one you can live with and go with that. Personally I think the VW is more dull a driving experience though

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I am bias ... i prefer Beemer's RWD and wide ass look. B8 Passat is your typical pop's car and can go fast if provoked. But RWD Beemer with the proven 8 speed ZF gearbox gives better security over DSG if you want to own it for a long time.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Definitely without a single doubt the BMW. It's not even a comparison.

The DSG bang bang bang feel is definitely fun, but the ZF 8 is no slouch, plus when you are not flooring it, the ZF is superior in every single aspect that the DSG doesn't even come close. The smoothness and seamless shifts beats the jerky at crawl low speed follow DSG. You really don't feel the shifts in the ZF 8.

Read the comments.

The B8 full spec Passat is actually inferior in terms of specification versus the B7 full spec. I do not want to support a business who feels its okay to shortchange its customers, as a consumer, we vote with our money.

VW service centres are notorious of being slow, lack parts, and generally crap service. Again, vote with your money, why support a business that treats its customers like crap. Every single VW owner or former owner that I know, several Polo TSi, a Golf GTi Mk6 owner, a Golf 1.4TSI Mk6 owner, a Scirocco owner, a Jetta owner (poor guy can't sell the car cause he will make a loss too hard to swallow due to the shit value), and a Passat owner. Not a single one of them had anything good to say about their cars, and none of them will buy a VW ever again, and all of them ask me don't buy VW. These are people whom I know personally. I did seriously consider VW, that's why I did a lot of research into VW Malaysia, the service network, and owner's feedback. So glad I DID NOT buy a VW, dodged a bullet there. I feel owner's who say that VW is a good car and other people are just haters are being delusional. Look at the 2nd hand value and that tells the true story. Numbers never lie.

That being said, a 4 door full size family saloon versus a 2 door RWD coupe is VERY different. That's like asking if a truck or a bus is the way to go. What do YOU need? Unless you have kids, get the 2 door coupe. In most cases you won't ferry more than 2 people around.

Reactions: Izso

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
thanks all. Both cars have their fair shares of problems. Thats why such dilemma exists ;)

As to why these 2 cars are compared side by side because both of them can actually ferry more than 2 people. While Passat can ferry more than 2 people comfortably, the 4 series coupe do likewise in a passable manner.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Definitely without a single doubt the BMW. It's not even a comparison.

The DSG bang bang bang feel is definitely fun, but the ZF 8 is no slouch, plus when you are not flooring it, the ZF is superior in every single aspect that the DSG doesn't even come close. The smoothness and seamless shifts beats the jerky at crawl low speed follow DSG. You really don't feel the shifts in the ZF 8.

Read the comments.

The B8 full spec Passat is actually inferior in terms of specification versus the B7 full spec. I do not want to support a business who feels its okay to shortchange its customers, as a consumer, we vote with our money.

VW service centres are notorious of being slow, lack parts, and generally crap service. Again, vote with your money, why support a business that treats its customers like crap. Every single VW owner or former owner that I know, several Polo TSi, a Golf GTi Mk6 owner, a Golf 1.4TSI Mk6 owner, a Scirocco owner, a Jetta owner (poor guy can't sell the car cause he will make a loss too hard to swallow due to the shit value), and a Passat owner. Not a single one of them had anything good to say about their cars, and none of them will buy a VW ever again, and all of them ask me don't buy VW. These are people whom I know personally. I did seriously consider VW, that's why I did a lot of research into VW Malaysia, the service network, and owner's feedback. So glad I DID NOT buy a VW, dodged a bullet there. I feel owner's who say that VW is a good car and other people are just haters are being delusional. Look at the 2nd hand value and that tells the true story. Numbers never lie.

That being said, a 4 door full size family saloon versus a 2 door RWD coupe is VERY different. That's like asking if a truck or a bus is the way to go. What do YOU need? Unless you have kids, get the 2 door coupe. In most cases you won't ferry more than 2 people around.
Comparing DSG to Ford Powershift 6DCT450, the Ford's unit is somehow slower in shifting, at low speed, it doesn't bang the gears like DSG and i would say, its quite comfy to drive in those. Driving up Genting hill is also a pleasant experience, smart and accurate gear changes. Too bad, the aftermarket support for this gearbox is also quite limited. I can only rely on importing stuffs from US for spare parts, sourcing locally is fxxking nightmare.

I really liked the 8speed ZF alot, how i wish that time when i bought my Volvo, F30 320i was in the same price range.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For about 150-160k I'd suggest better get the 2015-16 330i F30, unless you just hell bent on having a 2 door coupe. The B48 engine on 330i is supposed to already improve on the flaws of the previous N20 on the 328/428i. 4 doors is more practical and easier to sell to later.

Reactions: ixeo

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Comparing DSG to Ford Powershift 6DCT450, the Ford's unit is somehow slower in shifting, at low speed, it doesn't bang the gears like DSG and i would say, its quite comfy to drive in those. Driving up Genting hill is also a pleasant experience, smart and accurate gear changes. Too bad, the aftermarket support for this gearbox is also quite limited. I can only rely on importing stuffs from US for spare parts, sourcing locally is fxxking nightmare.

I really liked the 8speed ZF alot, how i wish that time when i bought my Volvo, F30 320i was in the same price range.
I didn’t go deep into the Ford Powershit DCT problems but I think in USA they have a class action settlement. Must be nuts to maintain it here.

The 8 speed ZF is really godlike that’s why it’s used across the entire BMW longitudinal range. And many other manufacturers use it. Did you know VW USA DOES NOT use those DSG 7 in their mainstream cars? Jetta don’t use that DSG 7. Because in with consumer laws, they will be sued to kingdom come. So they dump it in markets like Malaysia.

The first time I experienced it was in a lowly F30 316i. Even in that spec the car was responsive, and the same smoothness.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
sudah screenshot ye~
Please note that i'm not a one-brand dedicated guy.

Evos for laif too. 7, 8, 9 only though.

And Toyotas. Old ones anyway. I don't like the new Altis/Camry/Vios. The older JZX cars are bloody marvelous.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Please note that i'm not a one-brand dedicated guy.

Evos for laif too. 7, 8, 9 only though.

And Toyotas. Old ones anyway. I don't like the new Altis/Camry/Vios. The older JZX cars are bloody marvelous.
nani!!! evo 6 lar macha... 6 is the cool one.... with the rally pedigree , look at its face, it will bite you

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
I didn’t go deep into the Ford Powershit DCT problems but I think in USA they have a class action settlement. Must be nuts to maintain it here.

The 8 speed ZF is really godlike that’s why it’s used across the entire BMW longitudinal range. And many other manufacturers use it. Did you know VW USA DOES NOT use those DSG 7 in their mainstream cars? Jetta don’t use that DSG 7. Because in with consumer laws, they will be sued to kingdom come. So they dump it in markets like Malaysia.

The first time I experienced it was in a lowly F30 316i. Even in that spec the car was responsive, and the same smoothness.
If we only get from Volvo or Ford locally, all the spare parts will jack up to 3 times the price of you importing those parts yourself. 6DCT in Europe is one of the toughest DCT that can go up to 300k miles before things start to break.

Heard many complaints on DSG7 including a customer of mine, changed 3 times clutch pack in his 2011 Jetta which under 200k kms. Touch wood My Volvo is hitting 160k kms and still using the same clutch pack.

8 Speed ZF is godlike, pair it up with 320i F30 with light tune and you have a sports car fighting class super sedan.

Thanks,
Ken

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
nani!!! evo 6 lar macha... 6 is the cool one.... with the rally pedigree , look at its face, it will bite you
TME la! But in terms of looks I like CT9A better coz more mature and subtle. If I have to pick just 1 Evo I'd also just pick the 9 coz a bit more liveable than CP9A which is more hardcore. If I can have 2 then it will be the 9 and TME.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In light of recent events, I thought it'd be prudent to talk about flooding and how it affects us - the motorheads.

Generally speaking, water + engine = BAD

Not referring to those water/methanol injection kits, those inject very small amounts of water into the intake and usually as a mist. I'm talking about copious amounts of water that seep into your engine bay through your cold air...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience