B16A Top Speed.

Mr.JY

Known Member

Mr.JY

Known Member
May 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
I am curious. AFAIK, a completely stock B16A2 should be around 140-145whp. But I find it difficult to hit the 180kph speed limiter. To be exact, it's hard after 150kph. Maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough? As I don't usually rev beyond VTEC point to reach around 140kph, if I'm on cruising mode. Even reaching 180kph on Civic 2.0 is a bit tat easy.

B16A2 completely stock inside-out. It's an auto tranny btw. So, guys? :biggrin:

TheSquee

Known Member

TheSquee

Known Member
Jul 22, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
your b16a ( auto ) produces 100hp-120hp ( if in mint condition )
mine pushes out on dyno 122hp.. with very standard mods nothing serious here

140-145 usually for manual..

Is your b16a limited ? rev cut / speed cut is in place ? furthest i ever pushed it was 210km/h ( Garmin GPS indication ) 207km/h ( Apexi RSM )

150km/h onwards > are you stepping full throttle or 3/4 ? Has your VTEC engaged ?

When does your VTEC engage?

My personal experience pulling to the above speed wasn't very smooth as my auto tranny was a lil messed up.. ever since i changed to a newer auto tranny ( same m24 ) my 60-130km/h without VTEC was effortless as my VTEC engages slightly late due to no management.. roughly 3K-3.5K revs to achieve 130km/h..

Sifus please dont shoot me if i have gotten my above facts wrong : (

kthxbai :D happy "buka" vtec

Mr.JY

Known Member

Mr.JY

Known Member
May 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
:biggrin:

As I mentioned, all stock. Speed cut is still in place. What do you mean by rev cut? From 140kph onwards, still a bit over 1/2 throttle? No VTEC engaged. My VTEC point is at 5,800RPM.

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
Mr JY, it seems like u are on top ratio (on your auto-trans) when u say very heavy after 150km/h. this is normal for high-rev 1.6 engine because lack of torque in low rpm. push the accelerator some more, it should drop to 3rd gear, then it should start to accelerate faster. if it dont drop to 3rd, then your gearbox maybe have some problem. but if it do drop, and your car still go very slow, then your engine might be have some problem.

p/s: in any case, please dont expect it will go as fast as manual B16A :)

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
actually, there's nothing wrong with your gear ratio. everything should be stock ratio and it's OK. don't have to change any ratio. only the possible problem that i guess here is maybe your gearbox have a problem in choosing which gear should it use to bring your car to achieve it top-speed faster.

Mr.JY

Known Member

Mr.JY

Known Member
May 3, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
actually, there's nothing wrong with your gear ratio. everything should be stock ratio and it's OK. don't have to change any ratio. only the possible problem that i guess here is maybe your gearbox have a problem in choosing which gear should it use to bring your car to achieve it top-speed faster.
Will bring it to the workshop to have a look. What do you think I should look into in particular, so that I can have a rough idea.

aalto

Known Member

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Mr. Jy....what your encountering is normal with stock B16A Auto,...mind you that the torque of the b16a compared to K20Z is huge...and other factors like efficiency of old engine & gbox....when going top speed get ready to be smoked by newer "normal cars"...haha....there 2 ways to go top speed....

1. Floor the gas pedal...crusing below vtec at around 130/140 kmh you'll be in forth gear, when you slam the pedal it'll drop to 3 but will shift abit early.
2. Drop to 3 and floor it,.....gear droped to 3 and it'll rev to the limit (till revcut) and shift to 4...or you can push to 4 before revcut

Mind you dont do this too often, cause it'll eventually cause the gears to slip....better to shift before revcut.
A lesson in using the gears :
1. Using P1 - max rev gear 1 & 2 (doesn't shift to 3)
2. Using P2 - max rev gear 2 & 3 (doesn't shift to 4)
3. Using P3 - max rev gear 3 & 4
4. Using P4 - normal driving, max rev at 4 only (will rev high but not max on other gears in pedal floored)

In straight line fight..pick your battles carefully......I just usually don't bother...except if there corners involved...then its bye2 to them....hehe :biggrin:

here a link of me lenjan my auto at SIC a couple of years ago if your interested...damn slow & unsatisfying really...huhu

EG6 Automatic at Sepang circuit 01 Feb 2009 - YouTube

oo...drive safely and know your limits...

arturo

nooB

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
aalto...didnt know u were auto too...yr explanation totally spot on!

using the 2nd method will yield a more satisfying acceleration from 130-180 cos if u stay in D4 n floor it, it will shift at about 7500RPM and when in 4th, say bye bye to the acceleration.

never tot the EG was suited for anything above 180kmh anyway. feels like the whole engine n tranny is straining already...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience