Average Modifications Price

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, me again.

Ive done a lot of research (most of it online) about modding i.e: exhaust, springs, piston boring, camshafts, etc, but Im never sure how much all these will set me back. Lets get an average price shall we? :biggrin:

How much would all these cost individually? on average?

Full exhaust manifold

Open pod/CAI (not cap ayam one ah :biggrin:)

Piston boring

high cam

adjustable cam pulley

adjustable suspension

Larger brakes

feel free to add more. Sifoos needed :adore:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
piston enlargement, high cam, adj cam pulley is more to stage 2.
lets talk more on stage 1 1st. for eg: spark plugs, plugs cable, open pod - go for K&N u can go for open pod or normal ones, SS extractor with SS exhaust system, etc...

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
piston enlargement, high cam, adj cam pulley is more to stage 2.
lets talk more on stage 1 1st. for eg: spark plugs, plugs cable, open pod - go for K&N u can go for open pod or normal ones, SS extractor with SS exhaust system, etc...
How much would a full Stage 1 mod cost?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Don't listen to Danz. Don't care what stage stage business, straight go to the hardcore stuff otherwise you'll end up spending a LOT more than you'd care to imagine.

(Sorry ah Danz :biggrin:)

All those puny mods that you call "Stage 1" are quite pointless. You want value for money straight go for PNP (average cost for Wira 1.5k), oversized pistons and bore + resleeve (average cost for Wira 1.5k, no forged stuff of course), SOHC cams are 'cheap' - about 800 average. DOHC is double that minimum.

Suspension - take my advise, forget about hi/lo. Straight go for the good stuff hi/lo/soft/hard and just play with the spring stiffness. About 2.6k

Big brake kit - Wira has the option of Evos, GSR, and all. So it's relatively "cheaper" for Wiras, Average price - RM1000 front and rear. I suspect Swift will cost a lot more.

Lightweight rims - RM1.8k with tyres. Advanti Storms, cheap and cheerful lightweight rims.

Good tyres like GT Radial HPY 17" is RM300+ a piece I think. Thereabouts.

Autofoam for chassis stiffening and quietening the car - RM2k package.

:biggrin:

Dude - take it from me. If you're gonna do it choose Forced induction or NA, and go all out. Small mods are not cost effective and give very short term satisfaction.

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Don't listen to Danz. Don't care what stage stage business, straight go to the hardcore stuff otherwise you'll end up spending a LOT more than you'd care to imagine.

(Sorry ah Danz :biggrin:)

All those puny mods that you call "Stage 1" are quite pointless. You want value for money straight go for PNP (average cost for Wira 1.5k), oversized pistons and bore + resleeve (average cost for Wira 1.5k, no forged stuff of course), SOHC cams are 'cheap' - about 800 average. DOHC is double that minimum.

Suspension - take my advise, forget about hi/lo. Straight go for the good stuff hi/lo/soft/hard and just play with the spring stiffness. About 2.6k

Big brake kit - Wira has the option of Evos, GSR, and all. So it's relatively "cheaper" for Wiras, Average price - RM1000 front and rear. I suspect Swift will cost a lot more.

Lightweight rims - RM1.8k with tyres. Advanti Storms, cheap and cheerful lightweight rims.

Good tyres like GT Radial HPY 17" is RM300+ a piece I think. Thereabouts.

Autofoam for chassis stiffening and quietening the car - RM2k package.

:biggrin:

Dude - take it from me. If you're gonna do it choose Forced induction or NA, and go all out. Small mods are not cost effective and give very short term satisfaction.
Woot great advice, again! thank you! So many questions to ask.

I really want to go all out with NA. I heard there's a blue swift roaming Johor running 160hp NA. thats amazing. How can i achieve that? But going forced induction is so tempting. :biggrin: Izso, is your car boosted or NA? what's your take on this?

Suspension i'm aiming just for that, (most probably Tein), with the strut bars as well. Big brakes i checked. its 2.5k for swift. gah.

Oversized pistons and bore - how do i do this? Do i need to find bigger pistons or can i use OEM? and what's resleeve? and what about exhaust systems?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Woot great advice, again! thank you! So many questions to ask.

I really want to go all out with NA. I heard there's a blue swift roaming Johor running 160hp NA. thats amazing. How can i achieve that? But going forced induction is so tempting. :biggrin: Izso, is your car boosted or NA? what's your take on this?

Suspension i'm aiming just for that, (most probably Tein), with the strut bars as well. Big brakes i checked. its 2.5k for swift. gah.

Oversized pistons and bore - how do i do this? Do i need to find bigger pistons or can i use OEM? and what's resleeve? and what about exhaust systems?
I'm not fully familiar with the Swift so I'll talk very generic mods that apply to almost all cars. My car is NA, FI will always be less reliable compared to NA unless it's stock FI (forced induction) to begin with. Even so maintenance is higher.

Does the swift have an aluminum block or steel block? If aluminum then you won't be able to do oversized pistons I think. I wonder if it's possible to bore out the cylinders.... Anyway for oversized pistons, the cheapest way is to find suitable pistons that are slightly larger (1mm to 2mm larger max) from another car, perhaps a Vitara piston or something (I'm not sure) and force fit it into your Swift. But since the piston is wider/larger, you'll need to bore the cylinder chamber to fit it. And usually if you bore it, it's advisable to reinforce the cylinder walls with a strong liner. Imagine you make the inside of a porcelain cup wider by boring it. It would make the cup walls very thin, so you reinforce the inside of the cup with a steel wall. That's what resleeving is. There's several types of sleeves in the market, the seriously overkill but strong like hell HKS ones, or the slightly cheaper but strong BMW ones and so on. Ask your mech/tuner and if they have the contacts they'll know what to recommend and at what cost.

The other thing that might work is a stroker kit. I don't know but *maybe* the Vitara crank might fit the Swift? Anyway, if you can get a stroker kit to go with the oversized pistons you'll be quite happy with the extra torque from the longer stroke and extra bhp from the pistons.

Suspension wise really depends on your age. If you're young and nubile - hi/lo will work for you. Tein Hi/lo can be quite harsh. If you're older like me, hi/lo/soft/hard is the way to go. I won't comment about brands, too many to choose from and personally tried only a limited few.

Personally I'd do exhaust last. You'll never know how far you'd wanna go with the engine. A Turbo exhaust can be as large as 3" width, mine was 2" throughout the whole system. But mine's a wira la, different car.

I think your stock car figures is in the 80bhp range right? To hit double that mark will be a challenge for NA. You'll definitely need to everything I just said earlier and on top of that have management. *maybe* you could hit 140 on the wheel. But I think the easiest way to achieve that sort of power is FI la.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys, me again.

Ive done a lot of research (most of it online) about modding i.e: exhaust, springs, piston boring, camshafts, etc, but Im never sure how much all these will set me back. Lets get an average price shall we? :biggrin:

How much would all these cost individually? on average?

Full exhaust manifold

Open pod/CAI (not cap ayam one ah :biggrin:)

Piston boring

high cam

adjustable cam pulley

adjustable suspension

Larger brakes

feel free to add more. Sifoos needed :adore:
I thought you going to change to Swift Sports?.....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Go big or go home. Turbo it, you'll smoke all those Suzuki Swift Sports in straight line and acceleration. They take corner faster than you, you just accelerate out the corner faster than them, you'll still be ahead.

Just don't go challenging FD2Rs.

As for N/A.. don't waste your time. The cost per horsepower is super duper expensive for N/A. And that Suzuki block is not a great base to start with for N/A, compare to K20s and B16s.. Some engines simply excel in N/A better than others.

How much would it cost you to make a 160bhp 1.5L N/A lump? Versus a B16 which has 160bhp out of the box..stock..

Don't waste time, don't waste money. Turbo saja.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
N/a vs forced induction debate!:biggrin:

Sorry for the late reply guys.

In all seriousness, ixeo kinda has a point.... Better to just stock up on dat dolla bills and get a turbo. Hmm. But my car's an auto. Is getting a turbo a good idea? (Smack that turbo up with some cable controller eh? Would that work?):biggrin:

I thought you going to change to Swift Sports?.....:driver:
I want to...but the second hand car market is cold as antartica right now. So better to just stick to the car. Im thankful anyways. :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
N/a vs forced induction debate!:biggrin:

Sorry for the late reply guys.

In all seriousness, ixeo kinda has a point.... Better to just stock up on dat dolla bills and get a turbo. Hmm. But my car's an auto. Is getting a turbo a good idea? (Smack that turbo up with some cable controller eh? Would that work?):biggrin:
Try do some research and see how much punishment the GB can take. I've seen supercharged 3-speed auto Wiras with no issues.

I suspect you won't be able to go more than 0.6 bar boost though with that GB. If you're gonna go big get a manual, or just go low boost with the auto. Having said that, it's contradictory to what I said - and more importantly you'll get used to the power and will want more. So like I said - go big.

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Try do some research and see how much punishment the GB can take. I've seen supercharged 3-speed auto Wiras with no issues.

I suspect you won't be able to go more than 0.6 bar boost though with that GB. If you're gonna go big get a manual, or just go low boost with the auto. Having said that, it's contradictory to what I said - and more importantly you'll get used to the power and will want more. So like I said - go big.
Ive done some research online. Most the swift can take is as you said, 0.6 bar. But if im going for turbo, should i buy parts myself and install it or should i buy off the shelf (i.e: speedworks)? Ive googled and it seems that buying parts is waaaayy more cheaper. (Parts: 3k - 4k / full set: 8k -9k.) td04s fit nicely in a swift :biggrin:

Swifterific

Known Member
Jan 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
zage is selling swift BOT parts for rm6k++
up to 40bhp & 70M torque.

buy this months ZTH mag. the advertisement is inside.:biggrin:
Bought already and saw the same exact ad :biggrin: but in terms of gain, speedworks' bot increases alot more. Thats why im not so sure as to get that one.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys. Need to find out something here, hope someone has experience in this.

Is there a specific kind of bosskit for Proton cars (Wira, Satria) originally with airbag equipped? I've been told that for airbag cars the kit is different.

Where can I find such a boss kit?

Thanks in advance.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience