Autobahn Experience Part 2 : Hannover by Night

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak

Hannover has existed more than 700 years ago and founded in the 13th century. It served as a crossroad town, where a few rivers, like the Rhine, Ruhr and Seine River met. It was also an important campaign town during the World War II.

Hannover isn't really a picturesque town, but it was exactly located in the middle of the important cities, such as Berlin, Hamburg and Frankfurt. It was a place I passed by to look around and to meet up my penpal.

Menacing front

So evening has turned to night. I was hungry and feeling for the need for alcohol. It would be silly not to go out for a drink, since Germany is well known for its beer. (Sorry this might offend our Muslim friends, but you can go for non-alcoholic drinks!) After checking in at Copthorne Hannover Hotel in Laatzen, I set off in the Audi A4 I have picked up earlier today.

Little dots of pixie dust lighting up the rear

I took a few great photos of the cars lit up in the dark. The LED daylight running lamps were awesomely integrated in the headlights, not like those other LED bars/strips you find from the Pariah accessory shops in Malaysia. The taillights was menacing to look at and was simply fascinating to stare at.So I went into my car again and dialed in the Street name in the GPS. I searched for the Hauptbahnhof (Central Train Station) and drove my car out from the hotel's parking garage. I had earlier Googled on the Internet about a few drinking spots and they suggested the one near the train station.

Just can't get enough!

As I went out, I realised the sun was going down pretty quickly. Evening turned to night, the sunlight was fading away and it just grew darker. I was worried I wouldn't be able to have much of a drive on the Autobahn should I want to record anything now. But I decided to try my luck with my Sony NEX-5 and placed it on the flat dash of the car. Here goes the recording:

Autobahn Experience at Autobahn A37, Hannover North Direction in an Audi A4 1.8 TFSI - YouTube

I was just flooring the car all the way, from the traffic lights to the Autobahn. I was just going hard on the car, shifting and shifting, though I think I wasn't shifting pretty quick, because I definitely haven't driven a manual for a while. The roads were bit slippery and the ESP counteracted a lil bit when I spun the wheels a bit when I driving towards Hannover. Soon, I realised I got addicted with driving fast on the Autobahn and decided to overshoot and make a u-turn in an intersection further ahead. What I didn't realised was, there was electrical LED sign boards that lit up the speed limit that says 100 km/h. I believe I have been speeding pass the speed limit, where it was imposed when the roads are slippery. It did rained heavily before and I must admit, being in the Audi A4, it just gave me all the confidence to go all out, even it was slippery! 200 km/h and I didn't felt the car misbehaving, it was simply planted. Kudos to German engineering!

Hannover City night drive in an Audi A4 1.8 TFSI - YouTube

I arrived into the city of Hannover. I was just driving around and going around the city center. The city was pretty small. It was pretty easy to navigate. I could circle the city center in just less than 15 minutes! It was just an exciting feeling to be driving in a foreign country, especially Germany, in one of my favorite cars. Life was definitely good at this point in life. I was learning a few things. The traffic rules were similar to Singapore. You are allowed to turn left across the intersection with caution when green is lit up. I doubt this can be properly implemented in Malaysia, considering motorists in our country is pretty impatient!

Trying to outdrag the BMW Z4 in Hannover - YouTube

Suddenly, a BMW Z4 passed by me. He totally flew by me. Unsatisifed by that, I decided to drag race him at the next set of lights, but it turned out to be a horrible thing to do! The G force simply pushed my camera away from the windscreen, went sideways and almost fell on the floor. I had to park by the side of road just to put it back properly on the windscreen. So much for trying to be a hoon!

So after just random jestering at the city center, I managed to find my way at the Hauptbahnof. The only thing was, where can I get parking for free. I certainly didn't want to pay a big sum of money parking in those parking garage. So I circled the area and found a decent spot and parked my car. The area was lit, but I only wished no one would try to break into my car or smash my windscreen. I would have a lot of explaining to do, to my rental company if that happens!

So I walked off from my car and walked a few hundred meters across the train station plaza, where I arrive at the Raschplatz. It was a hip area where a few pubs, discos and cinemas were located. It just looked so beautiful at night, it was definitely a place to walk to, even it was for a drink.

So I went into the disco and set myself for a beer. The beer was reasonably priced at 2.50 euros. In comparison, 500ml of Coke would have cost the same. In Europe, alcohol costs as much as soft drinks, so you could see why Europeans just happen to drink a lot. It's just alcohol or soft drinks! Of course, that would not be the case in Malaysia

I ordered a bottle of Becks Green Lemon. It was definitely a taste unique within Europe. Definitely can't find it any stores in Malaysia if you really wanted it. In Europe, you could actually find beer that is fruit flavoured. I had a similar drink in Brussels, Belgium, where I had Hoegaarden Lemon.

In smaller cities, most Germans couldn't speak English or be bothered with it. I had to point what I wanted from the menu to state what I want for drink. I had better luck in larger cities such as Berlin, Amsterdam and Rome. So I didn't get to mingle around and meet people as I had been meeting people in those mentioned countries before.

It was time for me to leave and I wanted to wake up early in the morning and go early on the Autobahn. I set off and left Hannover city. It was great to see the city at night and be able to drive the Audi A4 on the public roads. I will continue my final bit of the story on the third part of the instalment.

Attachments

Last edited:

DM3

Known Member
Apr 27, 2010
PJ
u really had fun there.
u shud try their weissbier, paulaner,franziskaner nicer :P

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
I had augustina beer in Munich, one of the best in Munich, will update in my BMW welt write up

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
yeah, 200 at that point, sorry for that, lol, no balls to point the camera at the speedo in the rain

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
yeah, 200 at that point, sorry for that, lol, no balls to point the camera at the speedo in the rain
Yeah, you couldn't beat this lady(no balls also) to text at the same time overtaking my dad on the highway at 160km/h. LOL!
Not making fun of you Kevin. Just having a laugh. But I wouldn't dare take my eye off the road if I were be doing 160 let alone 200. At 200 on a slippery road need balls of steel.:biggrin:

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
I totally forgotten the road was wet! LOL, as you can see from the end of the video, haha! It rained before in the video before it in Part 1 and the road was still wet. I was going 200 km/h and that Audi is still planted and stable. Damn it, I'm saving up for an Audi!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Services for polycarbonate (plastic) headlight restoration

Price: NOW RM 150 per session (done in 2 hours) Price is firm and non-negotiable. This price is only for standard sedan vehicles. Vehicles like MPV(depending on headlight) or Euro Continental vehicles price will be vary. Please call for more information about pricing

Warranty: Warranty for 1 (one) year. We'll give you...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience