assist me to buy awesome compact camera..

zul_klasik

Known Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hi ZTH members,

I have a question, as im not a 'pro' in compact camera matters.
I want to buy a high mp and high zoom travel compact camera.
My budget is below rm1500.
But i dont want slr camera.
I already surf camera website such Digital Photography Review
But as i mention just now, im not a 'pro' in camera.
so please assist me to choose those compact camera in the list.
I want to buy those camera for oversea trip this April. :biggrin:
Hehehe..

Nikon :
coolpix s8200
coolpix s9100
coolpix s9200
coolpix s9300

or

Canon :
powershot sx230hs
powershot sx240hs
powershot sx260hs

ps : i really appriciate ur great comment/reply :biggrin:

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
None of those.

- Canon G5
- Panasonic Lumix LX5
Bro. Izso,
Canon G5 is 2003 model leh! I think discon already.....

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

But as i mention just now, im not a 'pro' in camera.
so please assist me to choose those compact camera in the list.
I want to buy those camera for oversea trip this April. :biggrin:
Hehehe..

ps : i really appriciate ur great comment/reply :biggrin:
I am more into DSLR, but I give you my 2 sens knowledge before you choose your camera.
Even though you mention you want high MP, that is not the best feature. I have compared some lower MP camera which takes better pictures because of faster lenses. So if you can get high MP with fast lens all the better, if not, go for faster lens with slightly lower MP, then high MP with slow lens.
For eg.
Powershot sx240hs - Maximum aperture F3.5 - F6.8
Panasonic Lumix LX5 - Maximum aperture F2.0 - F3.3

Not saying you should buy the Panasonic but giving an example. Further features, you may want are better optical zoom, maybe compact in size and so on.
So it all depends on individual preference.
For eg. I want good pics, that is why DLSR first choice, compact camera like G1 and if for my wife, she probably will go for the SX240HS so can put in her handbag.....:biggrin:

zul_klasik

Known Member
Mar 15, 2010
Bro. Izso,
Canon G5 is 2003 model leh! I think discon already.....

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I am more into DSLR, but I give you my 2 sens knowledge before you choose your camera.
Even though you mention you want high MP, that is not the best feature. I have compared some lower MP camera which takes better pictures because of faster lenses. So if you can get high MP with fast lens all the better, if not, go for faster lens with slightly lower MP, then high MP with slow lens.
For eg.
Powershot sx240hs - Maximum aperture F3.5 - F6.8
Panasonic Lumix LX5 - Maximum aperture F2.0 - F3.3

Not saying you should buy the Panasonic but giving an example. Further features, you may want are better optical zoom, maybe compact in size and so on.
So it all depends on individual preference.
For eg. I want good pics, that is why DLSR first choice, compact camera like G1 and if for my wife, she probably will go for the SX240HS so can put in her handbag.....:biggrin:
ok
then
what ur suggestion for me?
many suggest me lumix lx5
hehehhe
i dont know about camera
i just based on ''numbers'' on the camera spect info
uhhuhuuh

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Is hard to recommend as I mentioned up to one own priorities. The S100 mentioned by bro. eohl79 has a faster lens, but less optical zoom then the SX240HS, therefore you have to choose.....:biggrin:

ehdrian

I Don't Care!
Dec 14, 2006
Penang
Is hard to recommend as I mentioned up to one own priorities. The S100 mentioned by bro. eohl79 has a faster lens, but less optical zoom then the SX240HS, therefore you have to choose.....:biggrin:
Tot u expert wit tires but cameras as well..:adore:

amonrei

Mar 19, 2009
Melaka
Just pick those superzoom with 28x zoom. Lots of choices. But personally i'd pick S100 for that price.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Tot u expert wit tires but cameras as well..:adore:
Just happen to be another hobby of mine. I am into many things. Tyres, Car Mod, oil, auto maintenance etc., which are all in cars, but have been in photography too. Many years taking pics for friends and colleagues wedding especially, be it the dinner as well as Church, Indian Temple, Bersanding, Chinese wedding and so on.....ha! ha!
Can also talk on gardening, cooking, baking and makan makan places or can say Jack of all trade master of none.....kakakaka:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Just pick those superzoom with 28x zoom. Lots of choices. But personally i'd pick S100 for that price.
Yup, a long optical zoom is also good for travel, but with faster lens all good. Problem is, most of the time cannot get all these features into one camera.
Looks like S100 is highly recommended.....:biggrin:

zul_klasik

Known Member
Mar 15, 2010
ermm
seems like s100 more better than lx5
hehehe
thanks for reply me

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ermm
seems like s100 more better than lx5
hehehe
thanks for reply me
If you are set on the S100, next thing is to visit the camera shop, ask for that camera, then fiddle with it. Since nowadays is digital, you can snap some pictures and view it. Handle it for size and features, and if all to your liking then only buy. If not, look for other camera.....:biggrin:

red mini 8 7 8

Known Member
Aug 20, 2005
In the car
Can i recommend the Canon Powershot G12, should suit your budget. Zoom is far greater than S100. G12 has the same internals as the S95 the older version of s100 but with further zoom. Have been using the camera far 1 year and pictures are on par with entry level DSLR's .

Canon s100 is great but holding it when using flash is a bit awkward because the flash is popping out on the top left.

PowerShot G12 - Canon Malaysia - Personal

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, G12 also good camera. My friend having the older G10, but this camera slightly bigger in size....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Agree with the G-series cameras. F2 on fixed lens is no joke!

LX5 is nice because of the Leica lens and the flexibility of add-on lenses and the cameras tiny size. Personally I think it's better than the Sony or Olympus equivalent.

But if it's a compact camera that can shoot awesome indoor and outdoor pictures without the hassle of small apertures, the Canon G-series camera is my preference. More than the S-series.

M

minibeany

not sure why u need a super zoom. It is very sensitive to hand shake with the long zoom. Here are my comments for these cameras;
- LX5 gives you a wider lenses that you can capture more. High functionality which is close to an entry level SLR. But a bit back dated compare to S100 or Coolpix S9300
- Both S100 and S9300 is good camera. It is just brand preference.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Actually is price check. Recently I got offered for this at RM1800. Include installation n tuning. Is that ok price?

Also, how good is GAB? Whats your point of view?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience