[ASK/HELP] turbo fan + bigger intake to air filter = better performance & FC?

Oct 20, 2008
Hi guys,

this is my very first thread in this forum, pardon me of my 'non automotively' languange coz i'm not as good as you all sifu's.

i'm driving a proton exora. As you guys might know, exora is taking air source from outside by drawing the hose to the front. Yes it is good coz it will be taking cool air from outside while driving, but quite 'giggling' when idling. I'm thinking to have my car eat more air when cruising by these 2 mod :

1) install turbo fan for computer something like here Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan - Newegg.com to suck more air
2) install a bigger hose intake so more air will go in

but concern from me..
- for 1) , will it just blocking the air from outside? i am unsure how fast air from outside coming in compare to this fan (according to the link the airflow is 133.60 CFM, and airflow from outside is ?? CFM ?

- for 2) according to proton guy, the designed cony shape for proton exora is to ensure the airflow is coming fast, if I put a bigger intake I do think the airflow will be slower, but does it matter?

hope u guys can give ur opinion and suggest , again pardon me if you do not understand what i'm trying to bring here, i'll try to elaborate more.

egb18c

500 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
kuantan

try to make this kind of system.
when i was 18 years old,was thinking the same idea,but only just putting 2 washing machine hose in front of the car with no fan because it might be blocking the airflow during high velocity such as on the highway

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Your idea will not work. 133 ccm is nothing and the PC fan static is not enough to blow the air into the engine. It will just be a useless blockage. And the big round hose, not much difference also. It's better if you just get a performance air filter.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Firstly, R&D have been done on the engine, means air fuel ratio are calculated by the ECU. Another is the engine is naturally aspirated means you cannot force air in, unlike turbo or super charged.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
*Facepalm* Are we on voodoo magic fans again? :biggrin:

TS dude, while I appreciate the fact that you're automobile illiterate and chose to post your question here in a car forum, you really ought to do some research first. Like how the intake works and why putting anything in its way is a bad idea. You want to better the performance for your Exora? Whats your budget? If small then you're better off just ensuring that the car is in tip top condition, using good oil, good spark plugs and a clean air filter. There's nothing a small budget can do realistically to improve performance in a heavyweight car like the Exora. If you have a decent budget consider engine management, exhaust and turbocharging. I've come across a 170whp Exora in GT Auto Sunway and that guy had exhaust and a Haltech standalone working with his CFE Exora. That's a lot of money just to get a 'small' 170whp.

So how much are you willing to spend?

goohtj

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004
to try out without $$$ involve
--- remove the air filter (zero obstruction), test drive, if feel good, then change air filter to performance type eg. knn etc.

my ride blm08 also c/w stupid campro engine. very lag on pickup.
l was recommended adding Firestorm ignition which increases the sparks, it does helps in pickup n reducing engine noise. been using it for 2 years.

for a cheap kick, pump shell F1 or Ron97....

as all sifu advice, no to computer fan. don't waste sweat on it.

yc87

Jan 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
bro.. try google the difference between a compressor (turbos / superchargers) and a fan
fan will not help and in fact create more restriction

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, how do you increase the top speed of your car? Is it by more bhp or torque or change gear ratio or increase fueling?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience