Are Lightweight Rims worth the investment?

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
My plan is to invest in factory size 15" with PCD 4 x 114.3 lightweight rims, what will be some of the notable differences especially in day to day commute?

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
lower unsprung mass will always be a benefit.
- more quicker response when accelerating and braking
- you might feel steering is sharper/lighter

disadvantages - potentially easier to crack and break (depending on brand and tyre profile) when impacted by potholes and stuff.

Just make sure you opt for a reputable brand and model.

Reactions: firdausrami

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
In addition to the above, theoretically the lower unsprung weight should:
- improve fuel consumption
- prolong durability of suspension parts as they have less weight to control the wheel movements. This also may improve traction marginally.

In short, you won't go wrong by going lighter, just a matter how much you're willing to spend or you can afford, coz the lighter they are usually the more expensive as well.

Reactions: firdausrami

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
In addition to the above, theoretically the lower unsprung weight should:
- improve fuel consumption
- prolong durability of suspension parts as they have less weight to control the wheel movements. This also may improve traction marginally.

In short, you won't go wrong by going lighter, just a matter how much you're willing to spend or you can afford, coz the lighter they are usually the more expensive as well.
I doubt FC will improve much if at all. Lower momentum so the car will potentially slow down faster which changes the way people drive.

Oh and lightweight isn't a matter of cost. It's a matter of how strong. The stronger the lightweight wheel is potentially it'll be more expensive.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
My plan is to invest in factory size 15" with PCD 4 x 114.3 lightweight rims, what will be some of the notable differences especially in day to day commute?
above all taikor adviced. Bring weighing/luggage scales when plan to buy ori lightweight rims used/new. Do your homework.
Nothing to shy.
i learn from bro @6UE5t post previously.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I doubt FC will improve much if at all. Lower momentum so the car will potentially slow down faster which changes the way people drive.

Oh and lightweight isn't a matter of cost. It's a matter of how strong. The stronger the lightweight wheel is potentially it'll be more expensive.
Probably if city drive might improve coz the wasted power for the initial pick up is less due to moving lighter wheels? Because on the dyno, lighter wheels can gain a bit more power.

I am talking as a potential customer to buy wheels coz generally the lighter ones are also more expensive. We won't have the means to test or know the comparative strength but we only can test the weight and of course can see the price.

Most importantly IMHO, don't buy fake wheels. Buy original brands.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
thanks all.
I'm looking at advanti rims because most aftermarket lightweight rims do not have pcd 4 x 114.3 which renders limited choices.
have you all heard from Kean Lee Hin store at jalan ipoh, which is one of the authorized supplier for Advanti rims?

Will the gap between the fender and the tyre look weird with aftermarket lightweight rims?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Probably if city drive might improve coz the wasted power for the initial pick up is less due to moving lighter wheels? Because on the dyno, lighter wheels can gain a bit more power.

I am talking as a potential customer to buy wheels coz generally the lighter ones are also more expensive. We won't have the means to test or know the comparative strength but we only can test the weight and of course can see the price.

Most importantly IMHO, don't buy fake wheels. Buy original brands.
no laaa.. change light weight rims mana ada increase power. It increases response not power! Perhaps a steeper uphill curve but that's about it.

thanks all.
I'm looking at advanti rims because most aftermarket lightweight rims do not have pcd 4 x 114.3 which renders limited choices.
have you all heard from Kean Lee Hin store at jalan ipoh, which is one of the authorized supplier for Advanti rims?

Will the gap between the fender and the tyre look weird with aftermarket lightweight rims?
Not all Advantis are light. Look at the series and do your homework first. The Storm series are lightweight. About 4.6kg for the 15" range.

As for gap - it depends on your tyre profile and how the design is like for the wheel. Some wheels like the RPF01 make the whole tyre look small. But then again you never said what size you're upgrading from. So if your stock 16" or 17", then going to 15" will definitely make the gap weird unless you go with big ass profile tyres. But even that looks sorta kinda weird unless you're looking for comfort.

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017
no laaa.. change light weight rims mana ada increase power. It increases response not power! Perhaps a steeper uphill curve but that's about it.

Not all Advantis are light. Look at the series and do your homework first. The Storm series are lightweight. About 4.6kg for the 15" range.

As for gap - it depends on your tyre profile and how the design is like for the wheel. Some wheels like the RPF01 make the whole tyre look small. But then again you never said what size you're upgrading from. So if your stock 16" or 17", then going to 15" will definitely make the gap weird unless you go with big ass profile tyres. But even that looks sorta kinda weird unless you're looking for comfort.
factory size 15" with PCD 4 x 114.3 lightweight rims (stock) :D

storm series doesn't have that PCD specification.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ

but those specifically are the ones to get

btw the gap.... that one is down to ur height/offset all of that...they will usually allow u to testfit if they have the rims in stock.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

4 x 114.3 you just need more time to find, got one just less common than 4x100. SSR Type C and Evo rega master has 114.3. RPF1 don't have. Do you have pic of your stock rim? see see

Reactions: sanekit and Izso

DNGFashion

Known Member
Apr 20, 2017

you can refer to the link attached, it is the same as my ride.

but those specifically are the ones to get

btw the gap.... that one is down to ur height/offset all of that...they will usually allow u to testfit if they have the rims in stock.
yes but unfortunate as it doesn't fit

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

I have seen a few test comparisons before by some international media. Coz they measure power on wheels, got slight increase when changing to lighter wheels.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

im using turbokits for my 660 kancil , but when long distance , at 4th gear 100kmh , it starts to jerking , fuel not enough =( , my fren ask me to korek the ic pump / fuel pump , anyone can teach me =) , i still cant afford injection so im sticking to use turbokits till nxt year =(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience