Anyone knows how can i clean the wheel arch? its full of dirt and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL
wow i didnt know my lone voice could create such a spark..I guess i am no longer welcomed here as I have been kick out of Detailien without my concent. Oh well have fun with ur Power Clean since its so safe i shall try to mix it with coke and drink it and see if i will end up in KPJ anot. i shall update my hospital bed camwhore when im there. tata xoxo

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Sorry Jack and KC if I sounded disrespectful to you and Opt in any way. Like I said, I am addressing the outrageous claims of ShowTime (using degreaser will cause disaster) and not bashing Opt at all. Do not forget, HEY I AM AN OPTIMUM USER HERE. And yes, OPC is still by far the best strong cleaner I have used.

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
Sorry Jack and KC if I sounded disrespectful to you and Opt in any way. Like I said, I am addressing the outrageous claims of ShowTime (using degreaser will cause disaster) and not bashing Opt at all. Do not forget, HEY I AM AN OPTIMUM USER HERE. And yes, OPC is still by far the best strong cleaner I have used.
No worries bro. I don't dispute that the statement using a degreaser will cause disaster to be controversial. Anyway, its not you. My sincere apologies.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com

Daniel & the staff of the TM car wash

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL

Daniel & the staff of the TM car wash

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

True KC. I noticed that some harsh degreaser/multi cleaner also does have a strong toxic smell that also makes working environment more unpleasant & requires to wear face mask. OPC has a milder scent & also makes me feel more comfortable using it after reading their MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet).

Optimum Power Clean/Alien Clean always my preferred multi cleaner. Has the punching power of harsh degreaser/multi cleaner with the minimal health risk involved which I believe is very important because I will be storing it in the house.

Last edited:

jonlsl

Jun 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Any pH neutral cleaner out there?
Don't know but would a neutral cleaner be powerful enough? I'm quite sure slightly alkaline would be needed for a decent clean? No? At least as a degreaser.

Would a safe and cheaper alternative to OPC be DG Ultimate Orange? I haven't tried it yet.

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Any pH neutral cleaner out there?
Acidic, caustic, neutral pH cleaners, be it "safe" or not you sometimes don't know what kind of contaminant you are dealing with that may end up on your skin. So wear gloves... see bro Fish very smart always wearing gloves in all his detailing pics :top: Long term effects of the chemicals + contaminants who knows... better safe than sorry.

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL
Its always good idea to protect ourselves from chemical by wearing safety gear BUT its also very important to minimize that risk by choosing safer chemical to use with the similar performance. For example I WOULDN'T store Meguiar's Wheel Brightener/Super Degreaser or any degreaser or any chemical in my home without first looking through their MSDS. Cheap+fast+effective doesn't mean its good! Take for example road side car washes... very fast, cheap, clean but is it good for the user and environment? I can tell you from the shampoo they use, to the engine degreaser, tyre shine... all have huge environmental impact.

Car Shampoo(mostly alkaline), degreaser(no msds), tyre shine(solvent/petroleum based)...the list goes on. I see some road side car washes that the chemicals are so aggressive that causes concrete to crack. Just smelling the chemical makes your lungs seeking fresh air.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

If I run a business be it car wash or detailing center then the priority goes like this.

1st. Own/Worker's safety(request them to wear protective gear & by choosing the lowest health hazard as possible chemicals without sacrificing product performance)
2nd. Environment (choosing the lowest health hazard as possible chemicals without sacrificing product performance & if there is a way to put something to neutralize the chemical then it would be a plus).
3rd. Make money.

A heartless employer will do this.

Make money by buying the cheapest and most effective chemicals to get the job done without thinking the health safety of the workers & the environment. The employer doesn't care this because most just sitting in office collecting/counting money.

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
I donno. Being using all these chemicals for god know how many years already, but only during weekends and under my open porch la. I'm still alive and kicking and my skin hasn't turned to green yet, nor do I have any of my nails falling away. I think all these 'safe for use' is being blown out of proportion. I mean, these stuffs had been on the shelf for years and are still selling well. There must be a reason for it.

I also noticed the misconceptions on the products INTENDED usage. There are those products for the normal consumer (average Joe), bodyshops (Professionals) and Pro-sumer (people like us). I'm in the opinion that Optimum products are marketed for Pro-sumer, i.e. people who know about detailing products, what they do and take detailing seriously (might or might not do commercial details), but don't have a fix or permanent facilities to get a controlled environment. Therefore they needed something that's 'reasonably' safe to use, to both their person or the vehicle. To get this, there need to be a compromise on the 'potentcy' or 'effectiveness'. Products like Meg's Super Degreaser or Osren DegreaserFX are, however, marketed SPECIFICALLY for bodyshops, i.e. to those who have a permanet facilities where safety can be controlled through using safety equipments and attires (supposedly, but unfortunately most Malaysian places don't adhere to them). These bodyshops concerns only with time as, to them, time is money. So they need something that could work effectively, 'relatively' safe and, most importantly, FAST.

Yes, OPC is a strong and effective cleaner and degreaser, but it's not as strong nor can work as fast as, for example, DegreaserFX or Meg's Super Degreaser. But, as above, OPC is for the pro-sumer and the Meg's are for bodyshops. If you want to use those products that are meant for bodyshops, of course you'd need to take the necessary precautions. If you don't think you can do that, then OPC would be a better choice, but you'd still need to take some precautions as required.

End of the day, whether it's caustic chemicals or 'safe' chemicals, it all boils down to the person who uses them. If it's harmful to you then take the necessary precautions or change to something else. Just USE THEM WISELY as oppose to BLINDLY.

Regards.

Last edited:

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Its always good idea to protect ourselves from chemical by wearing safety gear BUT its also very important to minimize that risk by choosing safer chemical to use with the similar performance. For example I WOULDN'T store Meguiar's Wheel Brightener/Super Degreaser or any degreaser or any chemical in my home without first looking through their MSDS. Cheap+fast+effective doesn't mean its good! Take for example road side car washes... very fast, cheap, clean but is it good for the user and environment? I can tell you from the shampoo they use, to the engine degreaser, tyre shine... all have huge environmental impact.

Car Shampoo(mostly alkaline), degreaser(no msds), tyre shine(solvent/petroleum based)...the list goes on. I see some road side car washes that the chemicals are so aggressive that causes concrete to crack. Just smelling the chemical makes your lungs seeking fresh air.
There are plenty of road side car wash that uses all kind of hazardous chemicals but at the same time our authorities and environmental regulations here are crap.

I don't have Meg's SD or wheel brightener because I don't find it safe for me. So I use others which serves my purpose and is saf-er but not entirely. FYI I have 1 gallon of OPC in my arsenal and others too. But sad to say all the degreasers including OPC cause me some skin irritation. As safe as what some poeple claim it to be or say it is okay to store it in their house, do remember Optimum also includes a section which says the following even if it was deemed safe:

SECTION IV: EMERGENCY AND FIRST AID PROCEDURES
EYE CONTACT: FLUSH EYES WITH WATER FOR 15 MINUTES. IF IRRITATION OCCURS, GET
MEDICAL ATTENTION.
SKIN CONTACT: WASH WITH SOAP AND WATER. IF IRRITATION OCCURS, GET MEDICAL ATTENTION.
INHALATION: REMOVE PERSON TO FRESH AIR. IF IRRITATION OCCURS, GET MEDICAL ATTENTION.
INGESTION: DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. GIVE VICTIM TWO GLASSES OF WATER. NEVER GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS PERSON. GET MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY.
COMMENTS: TREAT ACCORDING TO PERSON’S CONDITION AND SPECIFICS OF EXPOSURE.
If you have a kid in the house, you wouldn't want him to accidentally consume/contact your OPC besides thinking of how expensive you bought it here. Also, if you like eating banana leaf rice with your bare hands/fingers... wear gloves-la :rofl: So I keep all my chemicals away and stashed off somewhere safe and ventilated.

I prefer to stand neutral on brand standpoint as I am not selling or peddling any detailing stuff. Until you try other brands with a MSDS, saf-er... you won't know of it's ability and performance :hmmmm:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Wanna see part of my family of cleaners/degreasers together.....

And my unscientific and non-professional conclusion is the DG Ultimate Orange to be the 'safest' cleaner/degreaser....though it's not necessarily the best.

Cheers.

Last edited:

jonlsl

Jun 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Wanna see part of my family of cleaners/degreasers together.....

And my unscientific and non-professional conclusion is the DG Ultimate Orange to be the 'safest' cleaner/degreaser....though it's not the best.

Cheers.
Wah!!! Don't tell me that is all your degreasers and cleaners ah, lagi gallon size?!! Haha you have DG UO also. You said "DG Ultimate Orange to be the 'safest' cleaner/degreaser" should be also the nicest smelling also right. hahahaha. Went and check out the MSDS and the hazardous chemical listed in there is also use in food. D-Limonene wasn't listed in the MSDS but we know where that comes from.

I think I should go and get some to try.

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL
Krismas,

Mind sharing with us which is the the MOST POWERFUL(cleans with minimal/no agitation)? Wheel Brightener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Last year I had the opportunity to detail this church van, as prepared her to transport VIPs, but a year later.... but the interior need to be detail….. exterior still looks great ..thanks to the Transportation team

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com/2009/08/polishing-van.html

Reason being heavily used for transportation & so huge to look after....

Reason being fequently used & so large to care for...i have fequents...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience