Anyone encounter this? (Manual Gearbox only)

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hi all sifu,

Recently my myvi manual encounter this problem. The car will "chok" (in cantonese) or not smooth or jerk when the gear is engaged during low speed. It occurred when the speed of the car is slower than the minimum speed of the gear (meaning the gear is weak), the car start "chok" 1-2times. These happened at gear no 2, 3, and 4.

2nd gear: only occurred at slower speed mentioned above.

3rd gear: When i saw an object in front (still far away), i lighten my foot on acceleration pedal and the
speed drop till 35km/h and when i fully take up my foot... the "chok" occurred.

4th gear: Same as 3rd gear.

PS: My car is 4years old and clocked 124k km currently. Last time does not encounter this problem.
Appreciate on your reply.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
check your gear oil and clutch plate

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
its better to flush it out since its not expensive, maybe got mixed up with water or dirt....or already long due...just flush it out n see...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Manual don't have dipstick. I check my gearbox, seem ok and no leak. Regarding the clutch plate, have to ask foreman to check it out. Thank you Evo.
Have you done any gear box oil change before? Change the oil and have a look at the oil color. Milky means got water contamination. If metallic then got gear wear.

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
its better to flush it out since its not expensive, maybe got mixed up with water or dirt....or already long due...just flush it out n see...
Have you done any gear box oil change before? Change the oil and have a look at the oil color. Milky means got water contamination. If metallic then got gear wear.
Evo, I just done my gear oil change not long ago. I think my current gear oil just clocked around 15k or 16k only. I change my gear oil every 40k and currently I've pour in chemlube gear oil + lubegard. And this gear oils are quite expensive to me.

Vr, I won't save few hundred ringgit and later on make myself caught a bomb. I can engaged and switch all the gears smoothly. Just only having this "chok" 1-2times when the speed is lower than the minimum speed of the gear, it occurred.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Evo, I just done my gear oil change not long ago. I think my current gear oil just clocked around 15k or 16k only. I change my gear oil every 40k and currently I've pour in chemlube gear oil + lubegard. And this gear oils are quite expensive to me.

Vr, I won't save few hundred ringgit and later on make myself caught a bomb. I can engaged and switch all the gears smoothly. Just only having this "chok" 1-2times when the speed is lower than the minimum speed of the gear, it occurred.
Ratio may be out, try shifting to lower gear and see what happens?

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Ratio may be out, try shifting to lower gear and see what happens?
Don't scare me bro. There is no problem when shift to lower gear and behave normally. Now when it started to "chok", i just press my clutch and it will disappeared. Not sure is clutch problem or gear problem.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Don't scare me bro. There is no problem when shift to lower gear and behave normally. Now when it started to "chok", i just press my clutch and it will disappeared. Not sure is clutch problem or gear problem.
Don't be afraid, what I meant the ratio out, in the sense as what you posted, speed too slow for that gear. If you shift down and no problem, I don't see anything wrong, so maybe the ratio is wrong in that sense....:driver:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Don't be afraid, what I meant the ratio out, in the sense as what you posted, speed too slow for that gear. If you shift down and no problem, I don't see anything wrong, so maybe the ratio is wrong in that sense....:driver:
Ic. Ok, but don't know why last time won't have such problem.

vacuum hose loose?
Do you know where it allocated at? how to check the hose loose edi?

Dan KC

May 26, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
it is normal man.because your clucth plate started to wear off so when you at low speed then engine speed cannot fit the gear ratio so it will jerk but when u press the clutch it will go off..it is normal for a normal car that clocked such mileage.so dun worry.nothing big deal on it bro

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Look for any loose hose......:rolleyes:
Ok, will check on it during this coming weekend.

it is normal man.because your clucth plate started to wear off so when you at low speed then engine speed cannot fit the gear ratio so it will jerk but when u press the clutch it will go off..it is normal for a normal car that clocked such mileage.so dun worry.nothing big deal on it bro
ya ka. ok, thx for the info.

leonl

Known Member
Aug 16, 2009
USA
I think that is normal. If the gear is higher than the speed ratio, the car will jerk of course. Try what Vr2turbo suggest, lower gear. At 32km/h I would use 2nd. Good luck

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

anyone here used this product before?? just bought it last weekend and will be trying it out during my next fuel top up..

says on the label, pour the whole contents into 1 full tank of petrol..but also says it is capable of treating up to 30gallons which is erm...approx 136 liters based on UK gallon..dats almost 3 full tanks..or shud i go with US gallon??

do u guys think i should just dump the whole contents into 1 full tank or spread out over 3 times?? kinda worried cos it says on the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience