Any member drives Frontiers ??

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
hey, thanks for sharing, sorry to hear your mishap bro, thank god its just the AC belt, well, i guess i've gotta check mine much more often since mine sometimes succumbs to alot of mud and dirt... hmm, so how much did it cost you to change it all?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
hey, thanks for sharing, sorry to hear your mishap bro, thank god its just the AC belt, well, i guess i've gotta check mine much more often since mine sometimes succumbs to alot of mud and dirt... hmm, so how much did it cost you to change it all?
Bro, I thought it would be expensive but guess what. It's darn cheap...
1. Fan belt = RM56.00
2. A/C belt = RM59.00
3. P/S belt = RM50.00

*Price is not inclusive of labour.
*Price taken from invoice provided by TCAS.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
oh, you changed 3 belts oni? i see i see, thought there was more there, or does the belts come in pairs? alternator belt leh?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
oh, you changed 3 belts oni? i see i see, thought there was more there, or does the belts come in pairs? alternator belt leh?
Gavan, I'm not sure how many belts there are I need to check my engine bay. Sometimes 1 belt will drive both alternator or either the PS pump or others. Imagine if 1 belt for 1 drive then your engine will have a lot load. 2nd is your engine bay will be very messy. 3rd your engine will be very heavy due to extra pulley needed for all the belts. If you know what i mean.

So automotive engineers they like to use 1 belt, multiple drive system. If I'm not wrong they call it the serpentine drive system. I'm sure that our truck has more than 1 belt but not more than 5.

Here's a short info about the benefits of Serpentine belt drive system.

'With all the accessories that are now common on the front of contemporary engines, virtually all manufacturers have gone to serpentine belt drive systems. There are a number of reasons for this: A single, flat belt is more efficient than several of the V-type; a single, spring-loaded tensioner can be used so the accessories don't have to pivot to tighten the belts, and as a result can be mounted solidly for less vibration; and finally, it's a compact design. And all those attributes make serpentine drive systems ideal for street rods, too.While factory original equipment serpentine systems are efficient and certainly well engineered, they are seldom appropriate for street rods.'

taken from:
Serpentine Belt Drive System - Tech Articles - Street Rodder Magazine

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
honestly, belts breaking @ 40,000km is unreasonable. did u ask TC whats the prob?
OTW, I also feel that it's way too early but as I mentioned on my previous post. In AutoWorld Forum Malaysia. There's also a discussion on the premature problem on Frontier's AUX belts. I ask TC but they said it's due to material weakness. If it's this problem they should have had a recall or something.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
OTW, i think it's the old batch that is having this problem. I'm not sure too. The SA who told me, he also not confirm with me whether it's material problem or what....Ai~~

But come to think of it, if material problem Tan Chong would had made a recall since Nissan is such a big company. They won't dare to risk their brand name and confidence of customer to them. really can't be sure of the truth unless TC themselves do an investigation on this matter.

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
but could the belting last past 40k km's cause the timing belts are usually replaced every 60k KM's for normal cars and for other beltings i thought they should be replaced every 30k KM's no?

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
ahh ok, butthen usually mechs would recommend you to change every 60k km's cause sometimes, especially in KL, we tend to idle alot cause stuck in traffic, out meters dun run but out belts are still running :)

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
hoho, better safe than sorry, dun think there is much choices for us 4x4's for any much more powerful half-cuts around :P ahahha...