Another Laptop Enquire

PooH

Jan 13, 2004
Hey...I'm gonna get a laptop as I'm going abroad to study...
But theres too many out there and I can't decide...
Since it doesn't come cheap I might as well get a good long lasting one...
And for laptop which is recomeded...P4 or Centrino???
Erm what else should I look out for???

So far only Fujitsu's S-series has caught my attention...But it's not cheap...Hope theres other alternatives...If don't have one tat is like the Fujitsu then no choice got to take tat =)

Help Help Help...

THX

wajaMod

Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by PooH@Jan 13 2004, 11:25 AM

So far only Fujitsu's S-series has caught my attention...But it's not cheap...Hope theres other alternatives...If don't have one tat is like the Fujitsu then no choice got to take tat =)

Help Help Help...

THX
What's your budget like and what's your main criteria?

If going overseas, get a laptop that has international support, so that if anything goes wrong, easy to claim :D

Toshibas or Compaq are very realiable and solid for their prices.

Cheers.

P/S - Get a Wifi card :P

PooH

Jan 13, 2004
Budget...
Erm 7K++ I guess...
Erm oh yah...Not to sure about Wireless LAN N all...
How to see if the laptop supports Wireless and all???

wajaMod

Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by PooH@Jan 13 2004, 01:19 PM
Budget...
Erm 7K++ I guess...
Erm oh yah...Not to sure about Wireless LAN N all...
How to see if the laptop supports Wireless and all???
7K ++ ? Hahaha.. U spoilt for choices then :P

Easiest way to ask the sales guy :D

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Try fujitsu! not bad ... I personally like it a lot!
7 plus, if u do not care bout weight, u can get a good baby but weight is an issue then u might hv to settle with someting below 2kg but lower performance.

Wayward

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
Penang, Malaysia
Visit site
actually,

i think the Pentium 4 is a better idea,

as pentium 4's in laptops generally come with the Intel Speedstep technology built in ,

therefore it shouldn't be that much power drain on the battery.

plus, second fact is that the TFT monitor is the one that consumes the most of the batteries life.

Wayward

DannyBoy

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by Wayward@Jan 13 2004, 10:51 PM
actually,

as pentium 4's in laptops generally come with the Intel Speedstep technology built in ,

plus, second fact is that the TFT monitor is the one that consumes the most of the batteries life.

Wayward
how about mine ??
NEC Versa M320 ...
izzit a good lap top??
pentium 4 2.4 GHz ....
but after install kazaa damn laggin leh ...

mivec_nos

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Wayward@Jan 13 2004, 10:51 PM
actually,

Wayward
;) ;) mine mobile P4 can go 3 hour max onli, not like centrino min 5 hour...

^^ED^^

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by PooH@Jan 13 2004, 11:25 AM

Help Help Help...

THX
Any brand also have " a bad apple in a basket " ... argee ?? :lol:

Even u bought a 10K laptop also have defective area, correct ?

Now u going aboard is better to get from that country, cause warranty is an issue by some products it don sell at other country.

e.g: U can get a toshiba model A from M'sia, but who know australia or us toshiba don carry that model, then u need to send back the laptop to claim warranty. End up izzit more expensive ??

Just my personal experience, is better to get from the country that you wanna study. So Uni got offer over computer products, u might bet 30% discount.

I just give my own opinion, if u prefer to get from here. U always can do that.

Just my 2 cents ... CHeers !!!

Hock

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
For me,I will go for Toshiba. I had 2 toshiba which i bought the 1st Toshiba Satelite in 1994 and it still alive until now. The 2nd Toshiba is Satelite Pro which I bought it in 1999. Until now, both laptop is functioning properly. Never give me any problem.

Now, I'm working with DELL as a servicing engineer. No hard feeling for those using DELL or COmpaq laptop. I really saw and received many complaints from users.

Just my 2 cents,Pls make sure that the laptop that u will get it will have international warranty. And Make sure that the laptop that u purchase can be warranty and have a servicing center near to your University or the place that u will continue your study soon. If not, u need to bring back to Malaysia if have any problem.

Wayward

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
Penang, Malaysia
Visit site
dannyboy:

your laptop sounds allright,

kazaa is probably lagging your laptop , you should install Kazaa lite instead, much more efficient, + no spyware.

Wayward

DannyBoy

Known Member
Dec 7, 2003
Originally posted by Wayward@Jan 14 2004, 10:47 PM
dannyboy:

your laptop sounds allright,

kazaa is probably lagging your laptop , you should install Kazaa lite instead, much more efficient, + no spyware.

Wayward
didnt know mah ...
stupid kazaa make it lag ...
nvm lah
my comp now less than 5k only
quite cheap leh ....

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Wajamod, its best u go to shops like notebook shop in Mid Valley or Sg Wang to see the features and test the weight. Buying from catalogues is such a hasle sometimes. If you have the time you could go to Low Yatt to see stuff there.

Hock, wow! Daring la u. Work in DELL but have doubts about their product. hehehe. Of course for us its good info. But don't let ur boss see this page!

Yes u are right, if u intend to use it overseas, better to get a notebook with international warranty. Toshiba has the best support for international so far. But the priciest. Fujitsu is the best looking. But if u ask me, i'll still stick to ASUS notebooks. The international warranty vendors are growing. And the price is in between everything cheap and expensive.

Wayward, If u specify Pentium 4 notebooks, u will get the desktop version of the processor inside. More heat, less processing power to save electricity and not so batery power friendly. Hock would be able to say much about this because DELL is still selling the desktop powered notebooks. Easily spotted by their cheap price and the non -M stickers.

I think u are saying Pentium 4-M. These are mobile processors. They use less battery power. But not as low as Centrino. But Centrino won't be as fast as -M processors, because of the power used. From what i know, many have debated if Centrino is a good buy. Just because it has a wireless controller built into the CPU and uses less power. A premium of RM1500 over the regular notebook.

donchichi

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
Subang Jaya
Visit site
Thinkpad.. and take their one day guarantee warranty. Muahahah.. that's really cool but damn expensive. If anything goes wrong someone will come pick up the laptop and send it back the next day.

cheers

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can u all suggest to me what is the best car polish to use....
give a shine look and protect the colour....
hope can help me
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience