Am I going to make a mistake?

mdamin38

Dec 16, 2014
Bota - Perak
Hi all,

Currently I am looking for my first car. Budget around 30k. Always been a fan of small hatchback car, preferred handling > performance, easy to mod.

Suggested to my dad (because need his approval) to get a eg6 because I've been wanting that car for so loooonngg, then slowly mod it little by little, but he dont give sebab too old, very hard to maintain. (my place far from any mechanic, closest 45 mins drive) :bawling:

Now he suggest to go buy a 2012/2013 satria neo r3. second hand around 30k. Should i just buy that, or go behind his back and just buy an eg6? :confused: sebab vtec/cps feel totally different wan ._.

or some totally different car? serious confused about life decisions here. Any suggestion?

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
both are good...

neo a tad heavier...

eg6 more expensive to maintain...and harder to find parts...

for young people like you always craze for power...

for me, a comfy, smooth, near silent car are a please...
10sec zerotohundred are decent enough for normal traffic....

mdamin38

Dec 16, 2014
Bota - Perak
both are good...

neo a tad heavier...

eg6 more expensive to maintain...and harder to find parts...

for young people like you always craze for power...

for me, a comfy, smooth, near silent car are a please...
10sec zerotohundred are decent enough for normal traffic....
Preach. Yeah i know, but sometimes you just feel the need for that surge every once in a while :driver:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Both cars have performance parts for mod. If you have $, performance mod is almost limitless. So no worries there.
The eg6 is still a looker, even for its age today. They are, unfortunately cost more than other cars at the same age in the market. Maybe becoz of its look, rarity, and handling. Explains why eg6 would be more of a magnet for car theft, compared to the Neo. For a well maintained eg6, they are pretty reliable.

Some honda sifu here at ZTH could tell you more...

Since you are a newbie as you have mentioned, I would suggest the Neo for starter.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
U got money and wont mind spending more money down the road then get he honda.i am not saying its not reliable but other wear and tear can wear your pocket quite fast.remember its an old car and i luv to have one too.honda parts are generally much more pricey.its like owning a jap mercedes if u plan to keep them for long.

Agree that vtec is much more savage compared to cps.well,the cps was never designed to rival vtec in the first place.not to say the cps engine is not lively at high rev.have a test drive and u will understand.dont expect too much.

both car have plenty of aftermarket part and like i mentioned earlier,honda part can be too pricey.

if i were to buy a proper vtec equipped eg then i will kept the engine stock and replace any bushes,link,wear n tear.not to mention reapply tar on the under part of the car.its powerful enough.

if i were to buy the neo cps r3,i will diy install the supercharger they got for the engine.then only it will do the chassis justice.

from the way things look,the proton cost less to run and maintain down the road but the honda have the ummph factor both to the owner and his pocket.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
My humble and pointless advice...if you are using your money to buy and maintain the car, get the eg6. If your dad is the one buying the car and maintain it, do you really have a choice?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My humble and pointless advice...if you are using your money to buy and maintain the car, get the eg6. If your dad is the one buying the car and maintain it, do you really have a choice?
Agree with this point.

Also you'll never be able to find a decent condition EG6 hatchback for less than 45k. 30k is those really bad conditioned ones.

The other thing is the EG6 is very old. Most if not all EG6s on the road would have been thrashed one point of time or another. And if you're looking for VTEC sound and feel, I don't think the stock EG6 got right? Sorry I know next to nothing about the specs. Honda parts are generally more expensive but you have a plethora of aftermarket parts. And you'll very likely be spending a lot of money on security since it's still a top 5 most stolen car in Malaysia.

Neo R3 isn't a bad car and in stock form the handling is pretty awesome, possibly more so than the EG6 considering it's newer and probably less wear and tear on the chassis compared to the EG6. Plenty of aftermarket parts too for this car. Have a look at the buy/sell thread, there's a Neo with plenty of mods being sold by one of the moderators here, his personal car. That's a worthy car to consider.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
But like bro. gunnerzz mentioned, if got the money. If got just enough now to buy the car, hard to maintain woh! First round changing all the fluids, belts etc already will cost quite a lot....:smokin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I would get the Neo R3. Is it R3 specs or just R3 bodykits?

Even so, if it is not R3 Neo, those R3 mod parts can get from SC also.

mdamin38

Dec 16, 2014
Bota - Perak
After reading all the comments, i have decided to go for the neo. And its not my father's money, its mine, but i dont like coming back home to see him dissappointed with my decision.
But again after readig them all, an eg6 is definitely out the window since the 40k once are not reliable enough

How do i tell the diffeence between an r3 neo or a neo with an r3 bodykits? :confused:

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Have a look at the buy/sell thread, there's a Neo with plenty of mods being sold by one of the moderators here, his personal car. That's a worthy car to consider.
If this http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/cars-for-sale/447813-wts-proton-satria-neo-r3-clubsport.html is the one you're talking about then wow

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
A bodykitted r3 neo have the engine in normal state of tune which is 125hp.
The proper r3 version have the power bumped up to 145hp.

exterior looks the same if not mistaken.they launch the 145hp version after they launch the lotus edition which oso have the same power but more premium equipment like ap brakes and suspension that cost milions.

since u r getting the neo and i assume u r getting the cps engine and not a normal campro with a bodykit slapped on,get used to the car handling first before bumping ip the power.

explore the handling and i bet u will have this evil grin on your face everytime u throw it on corners.once u have fully understand the car then only upgrade it.bear in mind the neo cps was never meant to be a high speed cruiser,it have handling as top prirority.
if not mistaken ratio for gear 1-3 is shorter to promote better pull out of corner.

Last edited:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
EG6 below 40k not reliable? mana ada?!?!!?! there are tonnes of really badass EG Hatches in the 35k range.... 45k EG6 is in K-swap category already (or super heavily modified with uber rare parts B series)...B16A EG6 can get around 32k above now... unless ur really lucky to find one below 30k....usually those below 30k will come with the 1.5 or 1.6 SOHC engines and are mostly auto (in the 25k range).

i am an EG6 owner....and this is my advise to u... GET THE SATRIA NEO.

why? EGs (hatch and sedans) as well as EF n EK are being stolen left right and center now... i barely ever drive my car out because of this.. and even when i do, ill make sure its to somewhere i can park right in front of my face... no line of sight, no parking.

seriously... its THAT bad. dont even take it lightly for a second, coz ur EG6 will be gone in that one second.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
Nola... Old satria yes.. Neo not so much

Honda.. Super kow magnet... Worse than satria gti last time

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Not just limited to Honda cars...

Honda cub oso thief magnet. They are used for parts for mat rempit....
My Uni last time had many cases honda cub hilang overnight

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Modern takes on classic wheels has been around for a while now with the American muscle cars leading the way. However, iconic designs like the Lancia Stratos would surely be met with deeper scrutiny if its designs were viewed through current eyewear...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience