All about your car battery

EG8

2,000 RPM
Jan 2, 2004
KL
www.surfer-girl.com
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

How do Batteries Die?

When the active material in the plates can no longer sustain a discharge current, the car battery "dies". Normally a battery "ages" as the active positive plate material sheds (or flakes off) due to the normal expansion and contraction that occurs during the discharge and charge cycles. This causes a loss of plate capacity and a brown sediment, called sludge or "mud," that builds up in the bottom of the case and can short the plates of a cell out. In hot climates, additional causes of failure are positive grid growth, positive grid metal corrosion, negative grid shrinkage, buckling of plates, or loss of water. Deep discharges, heat, vibration, fast charging, and overcharging all accelerate the "aging" process. At approximately 50%, the number one cause of premature car battery failure is loss of water caused from high under hood heat or overcharging. Positive grid growth and undercharging causing sulfation also cause a lot of failures. For deep cycle and starting batteries that are not used weekly it is sulfation, at an estimated 85%. Sulfation is caused when a battery's State-of-Charge drops below 100% for long periods or under charging. Hard lead sulfate crystals fills the pours and coats the plates. Please see Section 16 for more information on sulfation. Recharging a sulfated battery is like trying to wash your hands with gloves on.

In a hot climate, the harshest environment for a battery, a Johnson Controls survey of junk batteries revealed that the average life of a car battery was 37 months. In a separate North American study by BCI, the average life was 48 months. In a study by Interstate Batteries, the life expectancy in extreme heat was 30 months. If your car battery is more than three years old and you live in a hot climate, then your battery is probably living on borrowed time. Abnormally slow cranking, especially on a cold day, is another good indication that your battery is going bad. It should be externally recharged, surface charge removed, and load tested. Dead batteries almost always occur at the most inopportune times. You can easily spend the cost of a new battery or more for an emergency jump start, tow or taxi ride.

Most of the "defective" batteries returned to manufacturers during free replacement warranty periods are good. This strongly suggests that some sellers of new batteries do not know how to or fail to take the time to properly recharge and test batteries.

nicteh

Known Member
Jan 27, 2005
KL
Im using Delkor NS70MF is 1 of dry type battery...maybe can try on it...

artnet

1,500 RPM
Jan 19, 2004
Sarawak
www.cardomain.com
OMG... my battery has been changed to NS40 only... shit..
and they lost the plate for the NS60!!!! so how ah?
anyone got spare NS60 plate for corolla ae100?

nicteh

Known Member
Jan 27, 2005
KL
coldfish, the delkor u are using can prolonged till today? my fren used same with u, but gone around 1.5 years...dont have any ICE add on. Ermmm...how come ler? :)

nicteh

Known Member
Jan 27, 2005
KL
coldfish, the delkor u are using can prolonged till today? my fren used same with u, but gone around 1.5 years...dont have any ICE add on. Ermmm...how come ler? :)

nicteh

Known Member
Jan 27, 2005
KL

vadarius

Known Member
Mar 20, 2004
Penang, Malaysi
Visit site
Originally posted by nicteh+Mar 28 2005, 10:50 --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicteh @ Mar 28 2005, 10:50 )</div><div class='quotemain'>Im using Delkor NS70MF is 1 of dry type battery...maybe can try on it...
[snapback]846260[/snapback]​
[/b]

nicteh,
how much is it huh??? :huh:

<!--QuoteBegin-coldfish
@Apr 1 2005, 02:41
using delkor NS60MF 1.5years and counting.
[snapback]858832[/snapback]​
[/quote]
NS60 or 70 best fit in 2.0 cars??? with little bit of ICE and turbo charged...

coldfish

Known Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by nicteh@Apr 1 2005, 09:34
[snapback]859233[/snapback]​
not sure. maybe because i have pivot raizin & super earth. but so far no indication of weak battery. i drive a honda. depending of what your friend drives, maybe it makes a difference.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Here are some pictures of the recent Bukit Tinggi time trial event catered to the supercars. These are just a fraction of the action-packed weekend. <b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b><b></b>...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience