All about Gull Wing experience

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Hi Guys,

Oriental-Hyundai just launch the new Hyundai Sonata last Tuesday.
2 days before the launching, I went to their Jln. Ipoh showroom, not because of new Sonata but 2 Accents with Gull Wing setup place in front of the plaza. I make a U-turn and head back to the showroom to have a close look at the Gull Wing.

Drop my coupe at the parking and go to the 2 Accents displayed, realise that the vertical door is 90 degree _| with the chassis. The door have a sticker stated something like "Please ask for assistant for demonstration of Vertical door" bla bla bla.. I went there look here and there, sit inside the car for a while, no body entertain me, proceed to the other Accent, still the same thing, a lot of people running around, prepare for the new Sonata lauching ceremony so no body care about me.

First thing I realise, there is addition rubber cover the corner of the door, most likely to prevent sharp angle hit someone's head or face (worst if it pop it into your eye). Sit inside the cabin and realise that there are marks on the door, due to the scratching between the vertical door and the front screen pillar (Oh no).

Have a peek behind the fender to have a the vertical door kit, kind of empty for Accent, but I do have a rough idea how to setup done, more or less like those after market kits I saw in ebay. Basically there is an iron supporting bar and hydraulic pump.

Accent have the similar RD1 door handle inside, guess all RD1 and RD2 owner will understand what I mean, the door handle with very good for Vertical door setup. Sit inside and hand get itchy, so try to pull down the lifted vertical door. First impression, the door is heavy even for a guy like me, this might be due to the hydraulic pump is too strong. When you pull the door down to horizontal level, the door will remain open and leave a 5"-6" gaps, guess it's meant for the space for the driver/passenger to swing the door and get it close from inside.

After that, I try lift up the vertical door from inside, heck, it's still heavy, so I don't think it's because the hydraulic pump is too strong. I believe it's mainly because the Accent door is heavy. (But heck, RD1 door is even heavier I believe, compare with Accent).

After finish trying from inside, i go outside and try to pull down the lifted vertical door from outside, now it give me new problem, Accent have the normal door handle like most Proton (unlike RD1 and RD2), which is not so suitable for vertical door closing, but still, I manage to close it by pulling the handle or the door frame (Coupe don't have door frame bear in mind, but luckily our door handle is suitable for vertical door). The force needed to pull the door down is lighter (might be due to the standing position is easiler for apply force compare with sitting inside the cabin), but of course, nothing close to swinging it from horizontal level. Later try to lift it up, I'm sure my girl friend will complain if I were to install this, because it might be too heavy for lady.

Next thing, I realise that the lifted vertical door will swing a bit, just like what Ace mention in one of the earlier post (I wonder does the 20K GTO gull wing
have the same characteristic).

From the visit, I realise few things.
1. It's good to have those gull wing that open wide, so that your door will not touch the chassis when it lifted.

2. the setup might be too heavy for normal lady.

3. The vertical door swing after it lifted might be due to the 3 support-points for horizontal swing door has been replace by 1 single support hintch.

-end-

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
Good field report I would say. Thank for that. But, the scratch is a big turn off man.

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Nice to see but quite expensive, more than R2XXX juz to install.

Better save money for car maintenance. My car is 5 years plus and now demanding many parts replacing. Now crossing my fingers for temporary halt to all this!!!