Airtrek Parts Enquiry

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
hard to say recurring, but there is some common issues.. such as crack stock turbo manifold (normally occur after 10+ years), stepper motor (Idling motor) kong, MAF sensor kong, stock radiator fan kong, EGR dirty need to be clean, crank sensor faulty (after very long years), gearbox wave spring broken.

thats about it.. the most common is that first 3.
Parts are still reachable and can also source new from an authorized supplier such as Bintang auto parts (the best airtrek evo supplier i could recommend). some parts can use from halfcut shop, some are better buy new.. so u have to be smart. or if u have unlimited budget, just get all new parts..
ahh. ok. first 3 are pretty common for 4g's. so i guess i can expect something similar as per my 4g93 wira. this thread is giving me more determination to get an airtrek. ahaha. hopefully can reach my target this year.

Reactions: 4gbanger

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
For repairs and parts, you can still get it. Just contact Ah Wah. Contact info available at pinned topics.

My previous Atr averages around 5.8 to 6.5km/L. On highways, I get around 7+. Not the most fuel efficiency car but hey, you get plenty of space and fun. When I got the car, I raised the stock boost from 0.6 bar to 1 bar and used it for like over 2 years. Everything was stock and I did not face a single problem.

Then I dump all possible Evo mods, TD05, cams, injectors, block, pnp, full exhaust, fuel pump, dyno-tune, bla bla bla. Upped the boost to 1.6 bar getting around 270whp. I manage to clock 5.9 secs from 0-100km/h. It was fun but trade off with some turbo lag.

However I sold it in 2016 because it was an old car with aging problems, my wife drives it and we cannot afford to keep having problems like stalling out of sudden, bad starter, bad ICV, bad MAF, jam calipers, weird noise during cold start and many more. Even though I kept replacing the bad parts, new problems keep coming up. Remember, the car is at least 15 years now.

If you use this as a weekend car for some fun, then go ahead. Suprima S is no way near. However if you plan to use it as daily cow cart, unless the condition is superb, else it will not be practical due to reliability issues.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
For repairs and parts, you can still get it. Just contact Ah Wah. Contact info available at pinned topics.

My previous Atr averages around 5.8 to 6.5km/L. On highways, I get around 7+. Not the most fuel efficiency car but hey, you get plenty of space and fun. When I got the car, I raised the stock boost from 0.6 bar to 1 bar and used it for like over 2 years. Everything was stock and I did not face a single problem.

Then I dump all possible Evo mods, TD05, cams, injectors, block, pnp, full exhaust, fuel pump, dyno-tune, bla bla bla. Upped the boost to 1.6 bar getting around 270whp. I manage to clock 5.9 secs from 0-100km/h. It was fun but trade off with some turbo lag.

However I sold it in 2016 because it was an old car with aging problems, my wife drives it and we cannot afford to keep having problems like stalling out of sudden, bad starter, bad ICV, bad MAF, jam calipers, weird noise during cold start and many more. Even though I kept replacing the bad parts, new problems keep coming up. Remember, the car is at least 15 years now.

If you use this as a weekend car for some fun, then go ahead. Suprima S is no way near. However if you plan to use it as daily cow cart, unless the condition is superb, else it will not be practical due to reliability issues.
ah dang. if i buy this, my wife is gonna be using it as daily. need to really do a thorough check before buying then. another reason why i ask if the parts are easy to source. as in the handling and brakes parts. those are definitely need to be in good condition to be daily driven.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I am not worry about availability of parts. Ah Wah has almost everything under the roof. Sometimes you just need to give him time to search. As long as you have time (allow downtime) and money to repair, this is not a problem.

For me, the worry was reliability. There was a few times the car stalled in the middle of a hot afternoon traffic jam. The starter just click but not cranking. My wife has been complaining so much, so much that I decided to part with my big potato and got a new boring car. The good thing is, the new boring car is double the efficiency and it's reliable. So I have not heard about complaints for 3 years now.

Reactions: alcyon

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
I am not worry about availability of parts. Ah Wah has almost everything under the roof. Sometimes you just need to give him time to search. As long as you have time (allow downtime) and money to repair, this is not a problem.

For me, the worry was reliability. There was a few times the car stalled in the middle of a hot afternoon traffic jam. The starter just click but not cranking. My wife has been complaining so much, so much that I decided to part with my big potato and got a new boring car. The good thing is, the new boring car is double the efficiency and it's reliable. So I have not heard about complaints for 3 years now.
hmmm. need to really get my budget straight up purchase and do. will see how it goes. thanks for the tips bro.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
yup... fun vs. practicality.. u have to decide. good luck and keep us updated on your decision.

Reactions: sanekit

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Ah! another sifu come in already, was waiting for him actually......hhahahhahha

You mod until 270whp, 6km/l ok loh, my VR stock 200bhp also around that mileage......lol

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ah dang. if i buy this, my wife is gonna be using it as daily. need to really do a thorough check before buying then. another reason why i ask if the parts are easy to source. as in the handling and brakes parts. those are definitely need to be in good condition to be daily driven.
Do like me, wife gets newer stock car, more reliability, turbo car you drive mah......lol

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Ah! another sifu come in already, was waiting for him actually......hhahahhahha

You mod until 270whp, 6km/l ok loh, my VR stock 200bhp also around that mileage......lol
Ya bro, long time no come here la... hehehe... how's life man? good to see u guys kicking.. hehe

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Do like me, wife gets newer stock car, more reliability, turbo car you drive mah......lol
yup, that could work... I should have sold my RX-8 and keep the Airtrek instead but my family wanted the RX-8 so much... so majority wins.

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
like that i should just get the suprima s for her to drive and continue with my wira project. but airtrek seems like a better choice in terms of fun and spacious. :confused:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
like that i should just get the suprima s for her to drive and continue with my wira project. but airtrek seems like a better choice in terms of fun and spacious. :confused:
Just remember, u already have 1 project car. Having the Airtrek will makes it 2. Dont tell me u wont be gatal tangan to mod the Airtrek.....right?

U need space and fun....only suv/pickup/wagon can do all those quite well.

If u want fun but not much space and dont mind a Proton, get the 1.3 iriz. Damn these cute car is fun to throw around. FC is great too. Need more equipment, get the 1.6. Its much safer than any Perodua, trust me. The HPFFFF thingny is really doing its job.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
bro.... if you want to save money and nagging from your wifey, then go with Suprima S. It's a newer car and reliability will be generally better. However don't put too much hope for performance.

I want to also make it clear that in stock, Airtrek is NOT a fast car. Like mentioned by the other brothers here, stock only churns out around 180'ish whp. Coupe with lazy INVECS II gearbox and ridiculously heavy chassis (over 1600kgs), the car is slow and heavy. The fun begins only when you start modding it.

I have heard some comments before that in stock, Airtrek hits 100kph sub 9 secs. That's far cry compared to what the catalog claimed - 6.5secs.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Just remember, u already have 1 project car. Having the Airtrek will makes it 2. Dont tell me u wont be gatal tangan to mod the Airtrek.....right?

U need space and fun....only suv/pickup/wagon can do all those quite well.

If u want fun but not much space and dont mind a Proton, get the 1.3 iriz. Damn these cute car is fun to throw around. FC is great too. Need more equipment, get the 1.6. Its much safer than any Perodua, trust me. The HPFFFF thingny is really doing its job.
I think he should have 1 reliable daily car and 1 project car. Having 2 project cars scarifying reliability is not a wise decision. I have been in this situation before, Airtrek and RX-8. High maintenance, high fuel consumption and not meant to be stuck in jam for hours. I gave up.... just sharing my experience.

Reactions: alcyon