Airtrek Gearbox

wabbott

May 4, 2016
Wellington
Whats everyone's experience with the F5a51 gearbox in our cars, have read articles saying to replace the wave spring and add a trans cooler to extend the life of the trans etc.
Can these be a durable transmission? Thoughts.:hmmmm:

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
I'm using an upgraded F5A51 (same as W5A51). I bought the clutch pads replacement, stronger wavespring and seals from Import Performance Transmissions (I think you can also try this shop called level ten). I also added an additional trans cooler - can't remember the brand though. I think the rebuilt gearbox is great value for money and the additional cooler should make the gearbox last longer. However, you might need to rebuild a torque converter to complete the set up. I am using a stock torque converter presently on my upgraded gearbox and I think it can take about 48kg-50kg max of torque before slipping. I think heat is a key problem to slipping as well.

However, having said all these, nothing beats manual!

wabbott

May 4, 2016
Wellington
Thanks Weiye, I'm getting the wavespring and transmission cooler done in the next couple of weeks ($1000 NZ), apparently replacing the wavespring doesn't require the transmission to come out. If replacing the clutch pads does that require the trans to come out?

weiye

Jan 26, 2014
Singapore
no problem. that's nice, yes if you're just replacing the wavespring, the transmission does not have to come out. The gearbox needs to be take off however, if you are replacing the pads with better ones. but if you're not going to push the torque too much, then you won't likely need to replace the clutch pads with aftermarket ones.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The price of cars in Malaysia may not go any lower if the government removes the various duties imposed on imported automobiles, said International Trade and Industry Deputy Minister Jacob Dungau Sagan.

He said there are various factors that are outside of the government's control in determining the price of imported cars, such as component prices and foreign exchange rates.

“Reduction of duties...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience