after overhaul..

neo83

Known Member
Mar 9, 2011
Johor Bahru
hi,
my car has been top overhaul..my car also change the head cylinder..
the problem is my car i feel not power n pickup than before..
do u know guys?..plz help me.. :confused:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Already past the break in period? A car usually needs 1000 km of gentle driving (not exceeding 3000 rpm and 100 km/h) after an overhaul to get to its optimum performance.

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
Probably need to reset ECU and perform adaptation after the overhaul.

neo83

Known Member
Mar 9, 2011
Johor Bahru
Already past the break in period? A car usually needs 1000 km of gentle driving (not exceeding 3000 rpm and 100 km/h) after an overhaul to get to its optimum performance.
owh..
i be waiting..tq
:smokin:

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

but he said top overhaul,no need to break in.no bearing was changed.
check the timing
i think so..
i stress think that problem..
:banghead:

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Probably need to reset ECU and perform adaptation after the overhaul.
any workshop can reset ECU?..and how much?

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Suspect those mech dosen't have professional menthod about value adjustment? Have tappet sound after that overhaul?
i don't know about that..
but no tappet sound..
my engine smooth like new..
but no power..

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

why did you go for top overhaul in the first place?
what do u mean?
my car overheating last weeks..
cannot start..
and Proton skim my old head..
but still cannot start..
Proton suggest buy new head..
after buy new head my car not perform..
padel jejak dinding pun still susah get 100km..
:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

desmond0318

Known Member
May 31, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Maybe need to adjust valve clearance or timing between the top and the bottom crank need to adjust, quite alot mech lazy to do more things especially nearby festival season, they've gone crazy about those non stop coming customers..
Go back to the workshop you overhaul and complaint about it is their responsible to adjust for you free of charges.

neo83

Known Member
Mar 9, 2011
Johor Bahru
Maybe need to adjust valve clearance or timing between the top and the bottom crank need to adjust, quite alot mech lazy to do more things especially nearby festival season, they've gone crazy about those non stop coming customers..
Go back to the workshop you overhaul and complaint about it is their responsible to adjust for you free of charges.
ok thanks desmond0318..

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Top overhaul needs break in too. Since they remove all the valve shims, retainers, seat and especially tappets. Those metal parts take time to sit in. The cam lobes are constantly pushing the tappets at a very specific place and angle. So that part will need time to sit in.

Anyways, it shouldn't be as bad. Think you should get your car checked for a second opinion. Try diagnosis, check ECU, and parts suchs a throttle body. For my case last time, the culprit was throttle body!

k0pi

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Kota Bharu
what do u mean?
my car overheating last weeks..
cannot start..
and Proton skim my old head..
but still cannot start..
Proton suggest buy new head..
after buy new head my car not perform..
padel jejak dinding pun still susah get 100km..
:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:
this is difficult to even guess what's wrong coz there's so many possibilities...

Any other symptom like irregular@crazy idling / engine check light turned on / hard to start and engine pops lotsa smoke to the exhaust while trying to start ... any sort of obvious weird condition when engine is running? Your car on auto trans or manual?

neo83

Known Member
Mar 9, 2011
Johor Bahru
Top overhaul needs break in too. Since they remove all the valve shims, retainers, seat and especially tappets. Those metal parts take time to sit in. The cam lobes are constantly pushing the tappets at a very specific place and angle. So that part will need time to sit in.

Anyways, it shouldn't be as bad. Think you should get your car checked for a second opinion. Try diagnosis, check ECU, and parts suchs a throttle body. For my case last time, the culprit was throttle body!
yup..that is my plan next..

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

this is difficult to even guess what's wrong coz there's so many possibilities...

Any other symptom like irregular@crazy idling / engine check light turned on / hard to start and engine pops lotsa smoke to the exhaust while trying to start ... any sort of obvious weird condition when engine is running? Your car on auto trans or manual?
manual bro..

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

need to advance the timing. meaning advance the campulley "teeth" infront by 1.
i think so..
thanks DanzEterna..
:biggrin:

crazykatak

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2006
Subang Jaya
After reading..

my question :
- new cylinder that you bought. Did it came with complete camshaft and valves and tappets ?
*1.6 and 1.3 camshaft is not the same..in terms of lift / duration.
*tappet selection was made in the assembly line ( at the factory )..incorrect or mixed tappets ( not installed back with the pairing valve, valve spring, valve retainers ) could lead to problems such as difficult to start when engine is hot, power loss. This is a scenario IF the new cylinder head did not contain new cams,valves,springs,etc.
*tappet selection number is etched inside the tappet. very fine etching....it is common that these tappets get jumbled up when not marked intake1-intake8, exhaust1-exhaust8.

- what type of head gasket did they use ? genuine metal gasket or carbon head gasket ?
*for cylinder head replacement the OEM metal gasket is a must. CamPro engines dont work fine with carbon head gasket.

- did they replaced the spark plugs with new ones ?

- was the cam timing and belt tension correct ?
*if the cam timing is inaccurate, eg. missing a tooth on the sprocket ( either in retard or advance ) would affect performance.

- did they replace the old thermostat with a new one ?

- did they perform throttle adaptation after top overhaul ?

- checked for any vacuum leak at the intake manifold ?

My main suspect in this case is the camshaft. In some cases where 1.3 cams were installed into 1.6 engines, power loss is obvious.
From the factory, 1.6 and 1.3 cams came in different coloured markings.
Kindly check with the SC.

Do keep us posted.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys.

I just posted a thread last week about this mad man throwing a concrete rock at me. YESTERDAY, my car was stolen in SUBANG JAYA, SS15, in front of the shoplots facing CARREFOUR.

I parked my car, went to see my dentist to do my nerve treatment with mom. Came out an hour later and my car was gone..
Parked my car at 11am. Came back at 1230....in bright day light.
So many houses in front of the car park....how could they!!

6 years of unconditional love i've given to him, and he's...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience