Ac blower only works when set to max

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Air conditioner (and fan) seems to only blow air on max fan setting. With the ac on, on any other fan/blower setting lower than max, no air comes out (have checked the compressor, still kicks in as expected even if no air is blowing into the cabin).
Tldr: Blower fan does not come on unless fan speed is set to max:stupid:

*this has actually happened once before, but it went away suddenly so i assumed it was a one time thing, just happened again today*:mad:

specs: (not sure if it matters):hmmmm:
-mitsubishi eterna/lancer digital climate controller

hmmm... I'm guessing it sounds like the blower resistor gone bad? If it is, any idea where i can find a replacement??
any other opinions??:damnmate:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
ohh yeah, should add, dont think its the relay cause it still works at max fan settings?

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Air conditioner (and fan) seems to only blow air on max fan setting. With the ac on, on any other fan/blower setting lower than max, no air comes out (have checked the compressor, still kicks in as expected even if no air is blowing into the cabin).
Tldr: Blower fan does not come on unless fan speed is set to max:stupid:

*this has actually happened once before, but it went away suddenly so i assumed it was a one time thing, just happened again today*:mad:

specs: (not sure if it matters):hmmmm:
-mitsubishi eterna/lancer digital climate controller

hmmm... I'm guessing it sounds like the blower resistor gone bad? If it is, any idea where i can find a replacement??
any other opinions??:damnmate:
sounds like definitely the blower resistor problem according to your symptoms. Shouldn't cost that much and pretty easy to DIY.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
hmmm should be by the blower then.... no problem taking it out... just duno where to find spare parts tho hehe, will try remove next week, will masak in the car these few days~

so now, time to pray its just the resistor!

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
hmmm should be by the blower then.... no problem taking it out... just duno where to find spare parts tho hehe, will try remove next week, will masak in the car these few days~

so now, time to pray its just the resistor!
any aircon shop or spare part should have the blower resistor. price should be less than RM80 for the resistor. proton one can use if u can't get the mitsubishi one.

Mitsu blower resistor

proton blower resistor

this blog shows how to replace the resistor - http://www.diytacra.com/2011/10/blower-motor-resistor.html

good luck! :biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
ahh thx thx!! will try take it out and test if its the problem hehe

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Can be the switch contacts too. My Hyundai problem was 1 to 3 works but max do not, so use until max is speed 3. This went on for a few months until only one speed was working and being an old Sonata III very difficult to find the parts. Finally mechanic dismantle and manage to press the contacts closer, then fit back. So far so good, have been like 2 years already......:driver:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Can be the switch contacts too. My Hyundai problem was 1 to 3 works but max do not, so use until max is speed 3. This went on for a few months until only one speed was working and being an old Sonata III very difficult to find the parts. Finally mechanic dismantle and manage to press the contacts closer, then fit back. So far so good, have been like 2 years already......:driver:
yeah that was suggested too, but digital ac, not sure if it can be the contacts.....:confused: hmm need to rip the console apart and check the contacts...:proud:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yeah that was suggested too, but digital ac, not sure if it can be the contacts.....:confused: hmm need to rip the console apart and check the contacts...:proud:
My digital a/c in VR, the speed is either auto or have 3 buttons, Low Medium High. In auto mode the lower the temp say set at 17 the fan speed is at max. As temp goes higher the speed slows down....:smokin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Huhu.... Magical car has fixed itself~~
Plonked ass in car to balik rumah, turned key to on... Behold, ac which I was testing was left at the lowest speed came on....

Moody car is just moody

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I used to have a car like that. Freaking PMS car would break down if it didn't like my passenger and it was very consistent too. Same fella it disliked, everytime would break.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Huhu.... Magical car has fixed itself~~
Plonked ass in car to balik rumah, turned key to on... Behold, ac which I was testing was left at the lowest speed came on....

Moody car is just moody
So just see whether this will last or not, or become moody again.....hhahahhahah:biggrin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
So just see whether this will last or not, or become moody again.....hhahahhahah:biggrin:
u said it too soon.... it was moody again this morning but left it on anyway, it came on for like 20 secs? then decided to be lazy again..... hmmm resistor still likely?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Believe it ! Toyota USA plans to recall 55,000 all-weather floor mats that have been blamed for unintended acceleration in 40 complaint reports collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Owners who filed complaints reported their floor mats, which should normally be secured by clips, had become stuck under the acceleration pedal. Toyota, however, has said that in some cases these all-weather mats...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience