A33 Fuel Filter

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Guys there has been many people asking about where the fuel filter for A33 is, some googling will tell you many different stories and some I've read that the SC in US said its not a serviceable item.

So to confirm. I just changed my fuel filter in my A33 VQ20DE. DIY method. YES its really black and dirty like a regular fuel filter would be.

1. YES confirm there is a fuel filter for the A33.

2. YES confirm it is in the fuel tank and is part of the fuel pump & float assembly.

For those who are thinking, no its not the fuel strainer net which is connected to the intake of the fuel pump. It is an actual fuel filter with paper pleats inside it and the filter is made of very tough plastic.

So get your fuel filter changed if you haven't done so. Mine has done 130,000km/10yrs.

Those who plan to DIY, get the filter from Sim Ghee for about rm50 (its called fuel strainer on the part description, but is a big white round plastic filter, just ask and they will know). Don't forget to get another oring for the fuel float assembly (to seal the whole assembly to the fuel tank.) as you would most probably need to replace it as it would have been flat or swelled up.

Word of caution. The whole float assembly is made of plastic. ITS very very easy to break so be extra cautious when working try to get the quick release fuel hoses off and when trying to get the fuel filter off as all the connections are just snap on fit connections. SO BE EXTRA Gentle and cautious and don't use excessive force.

I have service diagram anybody who wants it.

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
bro... I posted my fuel filter change here some 2 years ago. But I realise that when u remove the fuel host, there are some pressure in the host and fuel will splash out. How do you get rid of the pressure before taking the host out?

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
make sure your fuel is at low level, hence lesser pressure.

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
bro... I posted my fuel filter change here some 2 years ago. But I realise that when u remove the fuel host, there are some pressure in the host and fuel will splash out. How do you get rid of the pressure before taking the host out?
What I did is open the fuel cap to release any built up pressure. Then start the car and while it is running pull the fuel pump fuse and let it stall by itself.

Then try to start the car again. If it fires let it run until it stalls. Keep on doing it until the car wont fire up and just cranks only. Then you will know the system has no longer any pressure.

Then after that disconnect the negative terminal of battery and start changing the fuel filter. After changing put back the fuse and connect the battery. Turn ignition on (wait 10 secs) and off (wait 10 secs) 2-3 times to prime the fuel system again, then start the car like normal.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys, and all the sifuz here. I would just like to ask about the siemens ecu that comes with the new Satria R3 Gti and the batch of Satria Gtis' after Year 2001. Will it in anyway, affect the Standard power of my Gti if i were to make minor modifications to the car considering the fact that the siemens ecu works best with the stock standard parts of the car? Affect as in will my Gti get lower power, horse power i mean, if i were to make changes to the exhaust and intake system? i've...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience