A32 EGR Tube cleaning

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
Guys my A32 had gone about 270,000km. It was leaking oil like crazy and from the valve cover gaskets. So I went to get all the seals and the s.plug seals as well. After I removed the intake monifold (IM) I found that the EGR tube (which is connected to the back of the IM below and right of the IACV) was totally blocked with carbon build up. So I removed the EGR tube from the ERG as well and decided to give it a good clean.

Oh just to let you guys know, I couldn't find any Original lead gaskets for the EGR tube. So I had to make them from 0.8mm gasket paper which you can get from spare parts shop. You have to make sure you clean the flanges and mounting surfaces properly before you screw it all back to make sure it gives a good seal if not you're gonna get a hell of a vacuum leak.

So for you guys who have a high milage VQ. I suggest you get it cleaned. Its a shit load of work to be done for a small job like cleaning a tube. But it ensures that the VQ runs properly. I noticed that MY VQ30DE pings/detonates much less now. It only pings at high load with more than -200mm/hg vacuum now.

Seems like this carbon build up in the EGR tube is a very common problem with all types of cars after some googling. Here is a link to what it looks like and my EGR tube was totally blocked at both ends of the tube.

few pics of egr tube removal - Page 2 - Maxima Forums

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
12savefuel, did you hacksaw of one of the screw to get the egr off? Do we need to remove the IM in order to get to the EGR tube or just remove the the air intake rubber hose plus AFM and IACV?

Just wanted to clean up some gunk in the EGR too. BTW , do you have any pics on the the removal and cleaning of EGR?

TIA

SB3.

**On the side note, can we delete the egr tube and put rubber hose facing down to the ground ? Just curious hehehe..**

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Is this the EGR? Quite difficult to remove for a regular joe leh..
Comprehensive Pictures and Directons - EGR Tube Cleaning P0400 - Maxima Forums

Last edited:

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
No I didn't have to hacksaw the torx head section bolts off to get the nuts off. All you need to do is to remove the 30mm exhaust inlet pipe to EGR bolt. Then once removed you can pull the pipe away and have space to remove the EGR pipe bolts. You should remove the black intake hose to the throttle body as one complete unit with the AFM and top of the Air box. SO its easy and the whole thing will come off as a unit.

You don't have to remove the whole IACV assembly to get to the EGR pipe which enters the back of the IM. But it will be easier if you do. That is provided to have a good feel with your fingers and you have a small 1/4inch ratchet. I don't think a regular 1/2" ratchet will fit in the tight space with the IACV assembly still on the IM.

Since you are cleaning the pipe, might as well remove the EGR and clean it as well as its just an extra 2 bolts and you already have opened the 30mm pipe bolt. Use a vacuum hose and attach it to the EGR and suck on it to open the EGR valve and clean it really well.

Oh yes, before opening make sure you can get replacement gaskets for the EGR pipe and EGR. I couldn't get the OE lead/copper gaskets so have to make my own with gasket paper. Just make sure its thick enough like 0.8mm. I'm using regular Sizoid gasket paper you can get in the spare parts shop. So far no leaks so its with in the operating temps of the paper. You can use High Temp gasket paper if you can find it. BUt the regular is still ok for me so far. I was really worried if the paper would hold the temps but it seems like by the time the hot exhaust gases flows through the pipe and all its lots quite alot of heat and its not a really big pipe to begin with. So, it "so far so good".

Sorry didn't take any pics as was rushing to finish the car and get it going. But you can PM me if you need more help. I didn't have any help to take photos also and my hands was all black and dirty and didn't want to hold camera.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all bosses,

i have a 4g13p proton saga engine with 12 valves. All my engine bearings is spoilt. i Would like to change my bearing to racing bearings. I heard that King's bearings are good. Can i use this bearings in my engine. why i am asking to change to racing bearing is because later i want to upgrade to racing cams and pulley. Pls if anyone can help me in the engine bearing cams and modifications and anywhere i can buy this engine parts from.

thanks you
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience