A32 - 3.0v6 engine jerking

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
i use crc contact cleaner. afm need to be NON oil cleaner.

Go buy one from a chap shop lah, is not very expensive less than 200

sb3

1,000 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
hi sb3,

i was having the same jerking while idling in gear D problem... and i tried switching and replacing a few ignition coil (trying 1 by 1) but still doesnt solve the problem, that's why i thought of getting a spare set injector from the chop shop and try replacing the injectors see whether that's the problem. That uncle dunno which is the injector and wanted me to point to him. That's why...

Have been busy with work tat's why just left those minor problems of the car unattended. But recently found tat the problems might be getting serious...
Before changing the injectors try listening to the six existing injectors whether they r clicking away, the one that isn't clicking might be the culprit but don't light up a cigar yet..if all injectors clicking away maybe one of the pintle valve/needle might be stuck open.

Oh Yes ! Try to thoroughly run thru all the rubber hoses from after the afm thru the throttle body to look for air leak/s . Afm & TPS might cause idling problem too. Try cleaning afm with contact cleaner but i doubt it will make any difference. If you have any friends with spare afm just do a switching test to confirm the afm problem.

Our fatty r great cars to drive especially long distance. However care and preventive maintenance must be taken to prevent the engine from having minor but irritating problems. Some of the problem really needs a pro with lots of patience to rectify if faulty but the rule of thumb is, DO NOT CHANGE ANY PART till u have confirmed its faulty. Otherwise you would break your wallet replacing the working parts. Happy hunting!:nurse:

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
thanx for the advice. now trying to climb up the learning curve by trial and error, at the same time can know more about this "aeroplane engine"

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
Just to understand this jerking more.

Is it happening when you are stop (traffic lights/any condition) and gear is in D?
You feel car jerks forward a bit 'like someone bump you from behind' but you can't figure or if is it the clutch slipped or engine choke?

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
hi dream.tent,
initially, the jerking is like wat u've described... these few days, the jerking become noticeable even when the gear is in N.
i actually planning to try cleaning the AFM using carb cleaner as found in other threads in this forum. but i also suspect there's something to do w the valve/pump thingy (sorry, dunno wat's the name), it's connecting the air filter box to the engine. i suspected tis bcos there's hissing sound at tis valve/pump thing, as if there's air leak, at tis valve. my readings tells me tat tis thing actually acts like a pump to create vacuum condition to the engine. correct me if i'm wrong. it's not confirmed yet though. i have to test it out first.

could the knock sensor faulty cause similar problems like tis?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
make sure the carb cleaner is NON oil based. else say good buy to the afm.

dream.tent

500 RPM
Apr 22, 2005
KL
www.cardomain.com
hi dream.tent,
initially, the jerking is like wat u've described... these few days, the jerking become noticeable even when the gear is in N.
i actually planning to try cleaning the AFM using carb cleaner as found in other threads in this forum. but i also suspect there's something to do w the valve/pump thingy (sorry, dunno wat's the name), it's connecting the air filter box to the engine. i suspected tis bcos there's hissing sound at tis valve/pump thing, as if there's air leak, at tis valve. my readings tells me tat tis thing actually acts like a pump to create vacuum condition to the engine. correct me if i'm wrong. it's not confirmed yet though. i have to test it out first.

could the knock sensor faulty cause similar problems like tis?
From what i hear so far...I think:
1. something to do with fuel feeding to the engine. (Check if fuel filter if clog..or fuel pump?)
2. ignition coils/high voltage cord. You have 6 individual ignition coils and might have voltage short to the block and didn't fire the spark. (OBDII might be able to tell if you have miss fire)
3. I don't think AFM could be the issue. If it's dead, will be stay dead and won't be intermittent..(If AFM dead, you can start engine but will die off in a second or two with engine check light on. You can just disconnect the AFM connector at the intake box to put your car in 'take me home mode'.)

This is what i can think of now....hope it helps...

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Dream,

My AFM when about to die sometime stall my engine, and my O2 reading on lifting throttle @ 1,300 (+- 200) rpm, it give 11 - 13 reading... after changing it give back normal reading.

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
seizai,

u mean clean the injector using petrol? I was thinking to....

thanx dream.tent for the suggestion.

i've changed fuel filter last month, but i'll check the fuel pump.

the most possible problem now is the iacv-aac valve, cos there's hissing sound from there, as if the air is leaking.

the problem is becoming serious day-by-day, and it even stalled the car when i step shift to D and step on the pedal. I have to step the pedal harder so that the engine in higher revv, then it wont die.... :hmmmm:

btw, is the fuel pump accessible from rear seat?

Last edited:

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
i'm currently in northern area, any suggestion where to go for trouble shooting and scanning other than Tan Chong? in penang or kedah or even ipoh?

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
update,

went to ecu scan and found no error code

:hmmmm:, what to do next? i'll start with cleaning AFM and iacv-aac and injectors...

:confused: gotta try it one-by-one with lotsa patience

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
bro ctk22

my personal sugesstion

before that find a good mechanic that can borrow part from chop chop shop to try one by one before change or buy any part that really need to be change!

1. change the MAF-> normally this will cause engine stall & jerk.
2. Check to make sure all air hoses are properly connected and crack free.
2. EGR valve-> if the valve clogged or from manifold link to EGR link clogged, will cause jerk,stall & ping.
3. clean the throttle body & iacv valve.
4. ignition coil.
5. TPS sensor adjustment.least priority!
hope this will help.