A (would-be) date with Glory

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
It's quite obvious the article is all about VW vs Megane when you posted the both Golf Rs photos & your track ready Megane . You don't have to tell how worn out your tyres are, how much funds you are short of and how unlucky you are. Everyone has their problems. The fact is you are 3 good seconds behind the next Megane and almost another 2 good seconds slower than an Audi TTS with street tyres(not sure if worn out or not. Not sure got nuts problems or not. And not sure got any other problems or not). It's fair if u can mentioned this in your article if u wanna compare. Is the Audi a privateers or big boys?? I don't know

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
further_seems_forever.blogspot.com
It's quite obvious the article is all about VW vs Megane when you posted the both Golf Rs photos & your track ready Megane . You don't have to tell how worn out your tyres are, how much funds you are short of and how unlucky you are. Everyone has their problems. The fact is you are 3 good seconds behind the next Megane and almost another 2 good seconds slower than an Audi TTS with street tyres(not sure if worn out or not. Not sure got nuts problems or not. And not sure got any other problems or not). It's fair if u can mentioned this in your article if u wanna compare. Is the Audi a privateers or big boys?? I don't know
I really don't understand what you're trying to get at here. Again I want to clarify that the article was about MY experience at TTA, and not a VW versus Renault post.

Cornelius, the owner and driver of the Orange Audi TTS is an excellent driver and a privateer such as myself. He did a great job to clinch first place, and I tip my hat to him. But he was in a seperate category, and I'm not here to argue about the potentials of the cars.

Again, you can read the article however you like, and interpret it however you wish... but please show some respect and tact in your replies and not throw accusations or try to spark a manufacturer war in anyway because that was never my intention. As the article title clearly states... its "A (would be) date with Glory"... nothing more, nothing less.

cRazYee

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
I believe, this time attack is good to see progression for oneself, of cause the overall package isn't ready to win the class yet.

Consistency is much important for a driver, import consistency then pace.

Consistent is how u maintain your finding (of being quick of cause)
Pace needs whole lot of time and concentrate to exlore the extra 0.1s.

I would learn from telemetry if I got the chance. DATA is king, the most efficient way to improve.

Just a saying.....

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
Well said. Consistency is all you needed. If not consistent then the time may varies from 2 to 3 seconds of your personal best.

The Audi also did a lot of mistake. If not he would have did 2:36 on street tyres. Of yes. Street tyres. Different category. Not semi slicks who did slower than street tyres.

Data is King. Video is Queen. Show us your Queen and see what caused you a slower time.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is there some sort of gain other than personal glory in TTA?

Why the high tension dudes? All these cars are awesome cars and even more awesome are the drivers. I have huge respect for all of these fellas on the track and their professional conduct on track, unlike some kiasu drivers I've seen on the smaller tracks like Datok Sagor and the now defunct MCM and Batu 3.

Hats off to that crazy air-intake! I wanna DIY one of my own now. LOL

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Nice! That thing looks sinister as hell!

Love the look of the CAI but it isn't legal for road use, surely? One more thing, I thought the RS is turbocharged, so why CAI?

Well said. Consistency is all you needed. If not consistent then the time may varies from 2 to 3 seconds of your personal best.

The Audi also did a lot of mistake. If not he would have did 2:36 on street tyres. Of yes. Street tyres. Different category. Not semi slicks who did slower than street tyres.

Data is King. Video is Queen. Show us your Queen and see what caused you a slower time.
He's just telling the story from his POV. In other words, one man's perspective and experience in what he perceive to be 'Glory'. It's not about the lap times at all.

Lose the attitude please.

Last edited:

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
Nice! That thing looks sinister as hell!

Love the look of the CAI but it isn't legal for road use, surely? One more thing, I thought the RS is turbocharged, so why CAI?

He's just telling the story from his POV. In other words, one man's perspective and experience in what he perceive to be 'Glory'. It's not about the lap times at all.

Lose the attitude please.
Couldn't have said this better myself.

Again, I knew entirely that I wouldn't be able to achieve my best time at TTA. I don't need a "keyboard warrior" to tell me that.

I also have tons of videos and data of my driving and I know exactly where I need to improve, but that wasn't the point of the article. The article was merely a statement of my disappointment in myself and the circumstances surrounding me, that if I did overcome, might have gotten me a podium finish, the "Glory" I was looking forward to. Its just a simple expression of my frustration in the outcome, so I'm not sure why you're making it a personal vendetta to criticize me and my driving.

Like pwhyze put it... "lose the attitude" man.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Nuke just sharing his own experience in TTA.....his intention is to spread confidence to those small privateers who track and restore to them the faith that even a small little guy can come out as a winner. Privateers are like underdogs, majority of us are not full time sponsored or have huge financial support behind us to throw into our cars when we took part in events such as time attack. Heck we are not even professional drivers. He is clearly not trying to start a manufacturer waras well, as like with all drivers in track they set themselves a goal, to improve and better themselves.Trying to better his time than a fully funded car is his goal. Just put yourself in his shoes. If I'm driving that Rs250, and I know there are a few big boys coming in to play I would think "maybe I can try and see if I can be better than their timing.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Couldn't have said this better myself.

Again, I knew entirely that I wouldn't be able to achieve my best time at TTA. I don't need a "keyboard warrior" to tell me that.

I also have tons of videos and data of my driving and I know exactly where I need to improve, but that wasn't the point of the article. The article was merely a statement of my disappointment in myself and the circumstances surrounding me, that if I did overcome, might have gotten me a podium finish, the "Glory" I was looking forward to. Its just a simple expression of my frustration in the outcome, so I'm not sure why you're making it a personal vendetta to criticize me and my driving.

Like pwhyze put it... "lose the attitude" man.
Next round i shall go and meet you man.
Maybe let me ride shotgun? :burnout: :driver:

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
You can't stop how people perceive things. The article is simply comparing the low funder to the high funders. Plus with photos of the so-called big boys cars and their mods. What I was trying to highlight was not about your inability but your excuses on achieving your laptime. Talk about mental toughness I've given a classic example. Talk about comparison on your Megane(privateer) with VW Golf R stage 3(big boys), I've given u another privateer(Audi TT) time where ppl were using street tyres only.

We can never nag for short of funds in racing. Especially time attack event. Some of the ppl r looking for personal satisfaction in time attack event. Some like u looking for glory. If u have limited funds then don't compete until u have enough funds to fight with glory. And not after the event and blame the big boys with good tyres and things like that.

Oh btw, if not mistaken the golf R are using old R888 tyres which is the cheapest semis in the market.

NukeeZoid

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
You can't stop how people perceive things. The article is simply comparing the low funder to the high funders. Plus with photos of the so-called big boys cars and their mods. What I was trying to highlight was not about your inability but your excuses on achieving your laptime. Talk about mental toughness I've given a classic example. Talk about comparison on your Megane(privateer) with VW Golf R stage 3(big boys), I've given u another privateer(Audi TT) time where ppl were using street tyres only.

We can never nag for short of funds in racing. Especially time attack event. Some of the ppl r looking for personal satisfaction in time attack event. Some like u looking for glory. If u have limited funds then don't compete until u have enough funds to fight with glory. And not after the event and blame the big boys with good tyres and things like that.

Oh btw, if not mistaken the golf R are using old R888 tyres which is the cheapest semis in the market.
Again, I have no control or problem with how you perceive the article, but what I was asking for is simply some respect and tact in your responses. There is no need to reply with a god complex after I've clearly stated that this was merely a personal take on my TTA experience. An article for pure leisure reading.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood and read too much into it, but nothing in my article was meant to be an excuse for the results, and a loss is a loss.

But like what TitanRev pointed out, the article was meant "to spread confidence to those small privateers who track and restore to them the faith that even a small little guy can come out as a winner". And since there are many here that understood this, I'll leave you to your crude replies and blatant VAG "fanboi-ism" because nothing I say will change your mind on the subject matter. ;)

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Again Gary, I have no control or problem with how you perceive the article, but what I was asking for is simply some respect and tact in your responses. There is no need to reply with a god complex after I've clearly stated that this was merely a personal take on my TTA experience. An article for pure leisure reading.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood and read too much into it, but nothing in my article was meant to be an excuse for the results, and a loss is a loss.

But like what TitanRev pointed out, the article was meant "to spread confidence to those small privateers who track and restore to them the faith that even a small little guy can come out as a winner". And since there are many here that understood this, I'll leave you to your crude replies and excellent "keyboard warrior" skills. ;)
Ya man, rc.
The way I read it, he sounded okay.
Don't exaggerate it.
Chill.

Last edited:

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
I think the message is:

Privateers: don't give up because we're incapable (yet)
Works teams: don't hate us because we are capable

I think I can relate to both.

rc_ep3

Known Member
Nov 6, 2006
Sorry I'm always the big fan of Honda.

Nobody comments doesn't mean they perceived the same as yours and doesn't mean they don't think the same as my thinking. In fact I was tagged by a Hondarian to this page and a bunch of them are laughing at the thread starter !!

I'm chill. I say what I perceived.

My advise to privateers is dont take it too personal on time attack event. U can never beat the big boys in terms of financial . Mod your car base on your own capability. Fight for own satisfaction. Not glory against the big boys. That's a bad benchmark to privateers. It may cost you a big hole in your pocket and at worst cost u a life in the track !!

Oh yes. I remember once there is a Megane owner proudly claimed "he beat the Singaporean A1 driver's time in Sepang" !!! This is utterly unfair claim !!!!!!! Bcoz both are driving the different set up of Meganes.

Last edited:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry I'm always the big fan of Honda.

Nobody comments doesn't mean they perceived the same as yours and doesn't mean they don't think the same as my thinking. In fact I was tagged by a Hondarian to this page and a bunch of them are laughing at the thread starter !!

I'm chill. I say what I perceived.

My advise to privateers is dont take it too personal on time attack event. U can never beat the big boys in terms of financial . Mod your car base on your own capability. Fight for own satisfaction. Not glory against the big boys. That's a bad benchmark to privateers. It may cost you a big hole in your pocket and at worst cost u a life in the track !!

Oh yes. I remember once there is a Megane owner proudly claimed "he beat the Singaporean A1 driver's time in Sepang" !!! This is utterly unfair claim !!!!!!! Bcoz both are driving the different set up of Meganes.
i know the problem dy.
I think its ur wordings.
They way u typed is too straightforward.
People might think the other way.
Like u said a bunch of them are laughing at the tread starter.
Those are unnecessary words lah.
Not chill enough. Hahaha