A Simple Tutorial DIY Spray Project

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
For those whose interested in diy spraying, heres some tutorials for u.. this technic could be apply on wood, metal, plastic n fiberglass..

Items needed:
- sand paper (grid 240)
- filling putty for metal/fiberglass
- scraper
- Primer (look for 'Matahari'brand spray can) coded '5 - P/S Grey'
- 2K color spray (depending wat color u like)
- Clear spray

OK, for this project i chose to respray the diffusers/splitters from my bumper.. hope u guys could keep up..

Heres the look of a 'fine work' from the shop dat get this bumper done which i got last December..

geez.. didn't know dat even termites loves fiberglass... lol

juz getting eye soar seeing my car like this...

Step 1 : Took of the parts from the bumper to make life easier..

Get every stuff ready..
here are the putty, scraper(the green thingy) ,sand paper and spray paint..

Step 2 : Applying the putty by using the scraper. This is to cover any holes or cracks.

Step 3 : Leave it for about half n hour than start sanding.. add abit of water during the sanding process, this basically to make the dust doesnt spread everywhere n end up in yr lungs also to make the sand paper lasts and easy sanding.. (ignore the red putty, dats d work of previous paintjob)

NOTE: repeat Step 2 & Step 3 few times if until the surface is smooth

Step 4 : Spraying the Primer. Make sure that the surface is totally DRY & CLEAN b4 applying the spray. Spray about 2 thin layers with half an hour intervals. (this goes for most quick drying paint jobs)

i chose to leave the stickers on to acts as a masking for the wordings (u'll get wat i mean later)

Step 5 : Spraying the color. If ure happy enough with the Primer, then u can proceed to color paint.. This is the one of the most critical stage of the process and i like to emphasize DO MAKE SURE THE SURFACE ARE 100% DRY AND CLEAN FROM DUST AND MOST IMPORTANT IS OILS ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR HANDS. I sprayed about 3 layers of this juz to make sure the color stands out..

Due to the thick layers, i leave it overnite juz to make sure it dries properly.

Step 6 : Peeling of the maskings. I did abit of extra job, so i need time to take off the masking.. Ignore this Step for those who didn do them.

Step 7 : FINAL coat. Lastly i sprayed 2 thin layers of Clear coat to make the paint job last longer and to protect it from weather.. (didn't manage to take pics for this step cuz forget)

Heres the BEFORE and AFTER

Not dat great of a job but it'll do.......

Apologize for d different sizez of images, i did resize them, but dunno y didn came out all even..

ANYWAY happy diying zthians... :tongwink:

platipus_85

Apr 29, 2005
it a neat n nice work of DIY:retarded: ..thumb's up..wanna try to do it but maybe start with the interior first..:angel_smile:

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
tx fellas... on holiday now... juz nothing much to do n no money... so diy le.. hehe.

nclim

500 RPM
Sep 18, 2004
Visit site
my car also need DIY wor..
whole bumper boleh ar... wahahhaa....
since you damn free... come over help me lar....

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
geez: bro, jes to add on abit to the rest of the members.

when u leave it overnight to dry, make sure u yr dogs cant reach it... coz there was once i left it on d floor and.. .. .... . . . . .. let's jes say the dog wanted to re-design the overall look and went ahead without askin me 1st...

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
blackie, me cannot have dogs... hehe... wish i could... can sleep much peaceful everynite..

thanx joe, we r all diy enthusiasts and ofcoz keep our work at d best.. :-)

edgar, it is possible to do if u have the right technic..

cheers guys...

everblur

Known Member
Mar 9, 2006

FoarGeez, where did you buy this from? Is it as strong as Bondo putty?

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
Bondo putty? never use them b4.. but through my experience this putty can only cover minor cracks n deep scratches.. i got it in PJ newtown.

peachmonkey

Known Member
Jan 4, 2006
forgeez
Can the filling putty be used to cover up the screw holes I have on my front lip? The simen that was orginaly placed there has cracked and I'm thinking of re-sealing it and respraying that paticular area only.

Is that possible?

Last edited:

FoarGeez

Known Member
Jun 20, 2005
Koala Loompour
everblur, yes i did baught them at pj newtown.. i did mentioned it above :)

peachmonkey, i think the putty i used doesnt really suit for yr purpose.. u might wanna find abit thicker putty.. usually it came with a harderner.. mostly in red color.. sorry dont really know wat is it really call but i think any hardware shop should know it..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

More previews before next week's Geneva Motor Show and this time it's Abarth previewing the latest Punto EVO and the tuner has announced the three-door 1.4-liter turbocharged Multiair four-cylinder supermini will debut alongside a souped up Abarth 500X.<!--more-->

To help with the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience