A Sad day for rallying.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
gary,
yeah i know, but i mean, like in volvos they have I-beams if i'm not mistaken...shouldn't they incorporate that to further strengthen sides? just a thought la.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
whatdamn said:
gary,
yeah i know, but i mean, like in volvos they have I-beams if i'm not mistaken...shouldn't they incorporate that to further strengthen sides? just a thought la.
yup. i know what you mean. even protons have i-beams in the doors ;)

but its a weight issue as the roll cage is already plenty heavy. besides, the strength of the rollcages today are way way stronger than an i-beam.

WRC cars today can already survive side impacts with trees that would have torn even a volvo in half without serious injury to the drivers. Which means the accident that killed micheal park must have been a really major one.

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
gary,
ah icic. was thinking of like a thick stub punctured thru the side lor...cause i've seen many rally crashes where they came out of such crashes a-ok! just bad luck i guess.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Well u just have the face the harsh reality that motor racing and always be dangerous unless we're all confined playing GT4.

WRC cars are so bloody strong u'll be surprise the amount of carnage it can absorb. U should check out Peter Solberg's crash in the German WRC last year. That was bad. Imagine crashing into a solid concrete tank trap roof 1st at 100mph.

I guess probably they might soon have to implement Nascar style side impact cages rather than the conventional "X" side bar.

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
They can implement all sorts of new rules and regulations to help keep the racers safe but accidents will happen and it's out of our control...
What happen to Michael Park was a fluke of nature and a tragedy none the less...

AND yes Motor Racing is DANGEROUS...

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
Khorne said:
They can implement all sorts of new rules and regulations to help keep the racers safe but accidents will happen and it's out of our control...
What happen to Michael Park was a fluke of nature and a tragedy none the less...

AND yes Motor Racing is DANGEROUS...
Ya, i should know. I'm one of the "lucky" few who have flown off the road in a rally car and hit a tree, and managed to walk away from it with just a sore neck :)

prodigy

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
I've seen one horrific crash by the great old Makinen. Or was it him. The car flew off the road and started rolling and bouncing like 10 or so times. It was doing all sort of flips and twist in the air and in between trees. In the end, Makinen came out totally unscathed and was still be able to give an interview. His car was beyond recognition though.

Didn't know how Martin crashed, must be bad but i'd say Park was unfortunate that the impact zone probably concentrated on the navigator side.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

Known Member
Nov 24, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
it's a pity that it's just insticst and well it's just natuaral for a driver to always crash co driver side 1st.

Khorne

500 RPM
Dec 4, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Well it's instinct for anyone to crash away from themselves...
Survival of the fittest...
Shit happenes...

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
whatdamn said:
gary,
taken fr eurosport.com

SIDE IMPACT
Although details of the accident that killed Park remain sketchy, it is known that the car driven by Estonian Markko Martin went off the road at speed and hit a tree on the passenger side.

Peugeot boss Jean-Pierre Nicolas said Park died instantly. Despite all the safety advances, that is the kind of crash -- a lateral collision with an immovable object -- that all drivers dread.

The side is the weakest part of the car and even a roll cage using metres of steel struts and cross members can offer little real protection.

"Short of building a Chieftain tank, there is no real solution to this problem," said Briton Nicky Grist, a championship-winning co-driver with Colin McRae.

"The side is the most vulnerable part of any car, whether it's a road car or a rally car," he told the Guardian newspaper.

"When you are sliding towards a tree at that speed, there's little you can do."

Grist, who has had several lucky escapes with McRae over the years including one in Corsica in 2000 when their Ford landed upside down in a ravine, felt it was not really a question of co-driver safety.

"It could just as easily have happened to the driver, had it been a right rather than a left-hand bend," he said. "It's just a horrible twist of fate.

"You could have that accident 200 times, but if you hit it in the wrong place on the 201st time, then you will get hurt."

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys...i getting 4g91 halfcut edi...

wat i need 2 noe is the piping size suitable 4 the engine...o should i juz use back my stock wira piping?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience