4WD drifting

Saint

Sep 13, 2004
Originally posted by glee@Sep 16 2004, 10:34
i think the best drifter in a 4wd is definitely ivan khong. did you guys see him drifting his WRX during the proton SSO events? he came in 2nd place next to zee.

i think he and his bro ian have been drifting for more than 10 years already using toyotas. pity he doesnt have an FR car currently.

and i also think most people have forgotten that his dad yskhong is the original malaysian drifter in the AE86 in the 80's.
of course the best and number 1 because there is only one 4wd car

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
glee: Never realised that the Khong brothers been drifting for that long! I can't imagine the amount of tyres that one goes thru when drifting for over 10 years!:)

I think that all 'JGTC' cars are FR cause with proper set up and aerodynamics ,these cars do not need AWD and not because the rules says so..;)

YS Khong rules!!! It was a pleasure see him stepping the tail out while driving up Cameron in the TVR!

MetalZone

Known Member
Mar 27, 2004
Ipoh/Semenyih
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Originally posted by Saint+Sep 16 2004, 22:42 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Saint @ Sep 16 2004, 22:42 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-glee@Sep 16 2004, 10:34
i think the best drifter in a 4wd is definitely ivan khong. did you guys see him drifting his WRX during the proton SSO events? he came in 2nd place next to zee.

i think he and his bro ian have been drifting for more than 10 years already using toyotas. pity he doesnt have an FR car currently.

and i also think most people have forgotten that his dad yskhong is the original malaysian drifter in the AE86 in the 80's.
of course the best and number 1 because there is only one 4wd car [/b][/quote]
the father sounds a bit like bunta and the son sounds a bitlike takumi... :rolleyes: :lol: :ph34r:

glee

Known Member
Originally posted by .S K A G E E.@Sep 17 2004, 09:28
glee: Never realised that the Khong brothers been drifting for that long! I can't imagine the amount of tyres that one goes thru when drifting for over 10 years!:)

I think that all 'JGTC' cars are FR cause with proper set up and aerodynamics ,these cars do not need AWD and not because the rules says so..;)

YS Khong rules!!! It was a pleasure see him stepping the tail out while driving up Cameron in the TVR!
skagee.. for JGTC.. the rules say so.you can only enter an FR car.. nothing else, even if you wanted too run AWD you cant. which is why AWD cars like the skyline, and Subaru have to switch to FR.

The rules are there to try to create equal standing. if you have seen JGTC reqs, its very carefully designed to try and create as fair a playing field as possible with so many different type of cars, and manufacturers entering.

If you dont set a rule for drivetrain, you will have FF cars coming in, AWD, FF.. etc. and then it starts to get messy.. so they decided to lock it down as FR.

you still remember the TVR eh? up cameron? i only remember driving up to frasers with YS, and it was raining, and he was drifting the tail out.

glee

Known Member
Originally posted by Saint@Sep 16 2004, 22:42

of course the best and number 1 because there is only one 4wd car
hi saint,

sure.. it was only 1 awd car. but it was sideways as much as any of the FR cars that day, and more so than a lot of them, and consistently as well.

its not like there was one AWD there, doing badly, and winning a trophy for being the only AWD there. it was open class drifting :)

MizuChi

Known Member
Apr 17, 2004
Japan
Visit site
i agree that AWD cars like subarus tend to understeer more.. i've been through it.. nearly wreaked my legacy.. but came away with only a damaged front bumper and a smashed foglamp..
anyhow, never let go of the accel when drifting an AWD.. that will cause the understeer.. and if it doesn't turn enough, use the sidebrakes.. that helps a bit..
in most cases, AWDs corners faster than the regular FRs when driven properly.. the only problem comes when the tyres wear out.. FRs wear the rear tyres in most cases.. but for an AWD, since all the wheels drive the car, it wears all the tyres out faster..
just my 100yen (RM3.60) worth of thought anyway..

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
I think the later versions of evos doesn't have those understeer problems. The understeer problems only exist in evo 1,2 and 3. In 4, they start have ayc but then the ayc itself has problems. i think the ayc helps the evo 4 and later gen to have a neutral steer compared to the evo 1,2,3.

mizuchi,

the later version doesn't have that much understeer already.... good improvement from subaru....

my 2 cents worth...

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
glee: My apologies for the mistake..didn't realised that the Option video I have with the JGTCC was almost ten years old.

And yes it was Frasers ,with Bernard pulling the handbrake of his Iswara at every corner and hairpin.:)

Jebu

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by glee@Sep 17 2004, 10:52
skagee.. for JGTC.. the rules say so.you can only enter an FR car.. nothing else, even if you wanted too run AWD you cant. which is why AWD cars like the skyline, and Subaru have to switch to FR.

The rules are there to try to create equal standing. if you have seen JGTC reqs, its very carefully designed to try and create as fair a playing field as possible with so many different type of cars, and manufacturers entering.

If you dont set a rule for drivetrain, you will have FF cars coming in, AWD, FF.. etc. and then it starts to get messy.. so they decided to lock it down as FR.

you still remember the TVR eh? up cameron? i only remember driving up to frasers with YS, and it was raining, and he was drifting the tail out.
Hi Glee,

I'm confused...
Where in this the regulations that they say 4wd is not permitted?
I thought it was more of a choice by the teams to remove the 4wd system and not its because it was not allowed:

http://www.jgtc.net/race/whats/04t_regu_en.htm#drive

.S K A G E E.

500 RPM
Mar 12, 2004
Jebu: Now I'm confused..should I or should I not retract my apology?..LOLOLOLOL

ZeE

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
www.drift.com.my
As for Ian/Ivan, hopefully the next time around in any drift competition they would get their hands on a proper FR.

The competition of any drifting form in the future should also only support FR cars. as the drift style on 4wd and FR on tarmac is totally different. Therefore giving points to these different layout cars remain very subjective.

As i remember there was an argument about a Sleeper BMW drifing better then Ian with his 4wd back in sso3. some how the BMW drifted better, but the judges prefered 4wd drifts by Ian. You cant compare 4wd with RWD drifts.. its totally different.

Anyway we should keep 4wd Drifting to where it belongs.. which is RALLY stages.

anyway we dont see any 4wd evo's or rex driftin in D1 Japan. :)

ªªªªª

Sep 22, 2004
Originally posted by ZeE@Sep 22 2004, 11:52
As for Ian/Ivan, hopefully the next time around in any drift competition they would get their hands on a proper FR.

The competition of any drifting form in the future should also only support FR cars. as the drift style on 4wd and FR on tarmac is totally different. Therefore giving points to these different layout cars remain very subjective.

As i remember there was an argument about a Sleeper BMW drifing better then Ian with his 4wd back in sso3. some how the BMW drifted better, but the judges prefered 4wd drifts by Ian. You cant compare 4wd with RWD drifts.. its totally different.

anyway we dont see any 4wd evo's or rex driftin in D1 Japan. :)
japan dont doesnt mean malaysia cant as MALAYSIA BOLEH
rulez are man-made

Are you asking IAN/IVAN to go back where they belong which is the rally track?
Why there are FF/MR in rally?

MK84,i think you can join Malaysia D1.

ZeE

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
www.drift.com.my
hahhaha another 1 fella that asume and never read...

u said:
Are you asking IAN/IVAN to go back where they belong which is the rally track?

(I never said that lol)

i said:

i repeat:

LOLOLOL. Ian/Ivan have massive skills, so compare drifting in a same platform is what we should look at 1st. We need to set the standard right. FWD,RWD,4WD drifts are all different. you cant compare styles for different platform. Its just so plain obvious.

4WD or FF drifts are sub category for the drift scene in the world currenty, isn't that obvious ?

anyway you dont see MR2 in D1 japan as well.. dont say FF or AWD. We have a good sample which is D1 japan. Why dont we take some of their Idea ? lol :) But i must admit their scoring system is pretty bad.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

One of the greatest aspects of motorsports is perhaps also one of the angles that the spectators rarely view as they see the racecars shred slicks on the tarmac, and that is the plethora of emotions and effort invested by the team in getting the car to the starting grid in the first place.

Team JPM Dragon-i can attest to that though, as the team very nearly didn’t make it to the starting grid but managed to get...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience