zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
Hi guys,

Would like ur opinions on whether to go:

1.Open Pod Air filter?
2.Drop in air filter such as K&N?
3.Which brand u guys used and proven to clean & increase HP more? i.e.HKS, Apexi, SARD, Blitz...etc

TQ:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hi bro Zeus, I have only tried using K&N on NA car not 3SGTE but for my exp, I think it does not really improves HP but it improves on my throttle responds...better feeling on the pedal and can feel a slightly better throttle responds when I tested the K&N Filter. So, basically i think it improves the throttle responds or pick up nia...:wink:

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
one of the mech claims that is better to go drop in airfilter, cause if install open pod, then there is no heat shield...but since got turbo, the air will heat at the compressor right? not sure...need to get opinion on guys whom used it and dyno...

thx bro supra_fanatics anyways

Last edited:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
No problem...I think most of them will be able to help u out more...sorry if didn't manage to help much as I'm also still learning. :biggrin:

I will see if my pals can comment more on ur question. Stay Tuned.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
ive seen a poll on various air filters, between apexi, hks, k&n, blitz etc...

the 1st was apexi open pod,
2nd was k&n,
*thats all i remembered bro...

the worst is hks 3 elements filter...- im using that haha...the refil expensive bro..
at least apexi & k&n can service DIY using the refresh kit....
if better get an CAI (cold air intake) + heat shield for better responce.

now using HKS mushroom filter on eterna twin turbo...so so only...

last time i was using k&n M's on sgti, sound superb.....

Last edited:

ericgtmythos

Known Member
Jan 6, 2010
Kedah
Hi Bro Zeus,

Regarding the air filter I have some info can share with u according my own experiance. I'm currently using Blitz SUS (Stailess Steel open pod Filter). Advantage is higher reliability that you can service-able to wash & clean many time without wear & tear. Beside that Blitz also design to suit for higher PS performance engine use even Skyline with 1000ps also no problem. By the way suction sound during turbine compress is very clear & loud with solid " Sysssssss" sound:vroam:.

Horse power increase eh...(According Japan Info up 13.9ps:biggrin:But i not sure) See attachment below.

Finally u worry for open drop filter without heat shield problem that wat i can say is custom made the heat shield only lol... or if u r using Bonet with air-vent is better effect to reduce the hot air suck in coz the hot air easy release from the upper air-vent.

Hope above info can help u to decide which type filter wan to select.:proud:

Attachments

ericgtmythos

Known Member
Jan 6, 2010
Kedah
Re-send the Japan Info...
Increase 13.9PS woh.... need verify before install & after with Dyno..:rofl:

txperimental

Known Member
Apr 18, 2006
noticed the fuel consumption worsen after changing to open type air filter, dont have statistic to prove it but is based on feeling, driving condition remain the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
Hi Bro Zeus,

Regarding the air filter I have some info can share with u according my own experiance. I'm currently using Blitz SUS (Stailess Steel open pod Filter). Advantage is higher reliability that you can service-able to wash & clean many time without wear & tear. Beside that Blitz also design to suit for higher PS performance engine use even Skyline with 1000ps also no problem. By the way suction sound during turbine compress is very clear & loud with solid " Sysssssss" sound:vroam:.

Horse power increase eh...(According Japan Info up 13.9ps:biggrin:But i not sure) See attachment below.

Finally u worry for open drop filter without heat shield problem that wat i can say is custom made the heat shield only lol... or if u r using Bonet with air-vent is better effect to reduce the hot air suck in coz the hot air easy release from the upper air-vent.

Hope above info can help u to decide which type filter wan to select.:proud:
Very informative eric....Thx. From the ur engine bay i noticed that ur battery is shifted...right? put more way for air suction:proud: 13.9ps is not bad but according to the review in that japan mag, the air cleaning is poor....

khoo198

1,500 RPM
Feb 11, 2009
N9
ericgtmythos bro.....ur clc engine bay is bloody shiny!!!:banghead:

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
noticed the fuel consumption worsen after changing to open type air filter, dont have statistic to prove it but is based on feeling, driving condition remain the same.
bro, i noticed ur filter is quite nipis....why didn't u go for the 6" one? maybe we should go for track day then can really tell the difference...:biggrin:

ericgtmythos

Known Member
Jan 6, 2010
Kedah
Very informative eric....Thx. From the ur engine bay i noticed that ur battery is shifted...right? put more way for air suction:proud: 13.9ps is not bad but according to the review in that japan mag, the air cleaning is poor....
Haha.... Yup I already shift the battery to rear boot.:biggrin:. Err..:confused: only this disadvantage for poor filtering performance coz this design in order to increase the air flow suction loh. But I think there is not much effect to spoil the turbine fin if compare only using the metal net as filter.:smile:

ajiz77

Nov 17, 2008
open pod - for hi-performance when ur eng needs more air...for sure fuel consumption become higher..
but u can hear suction sound (even on NA) and it's really nice.

drop in - no need heat shield to prevent hot air...nothing change on ur fuel consumption...no suction sound...

u should try both...then u can decide which one u want to use...else be like me...depends on my mood...haha