20v Knocking Sound When Accelerate

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Dear all,

This knocking sound happens when i press on gas pedal, especially uphill. Well i have read about other topic/site just too many possibility so that i decided to create this topic and narrow down the troubleshooting range. It sounded like a small metal boll shaken in a mineral water bottle, think most of the senior knows exactly how it is as it seems to be a common 20v issue.

Heard that it is regarding Ron95 or 97 compatibility issue, but as i filled 97 ran running for already few hundred km's. Sound still occurs, have just serviced engine oil last just on last Saturday as well and replaced Spark Plug.

Please advise & thx.

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
The lowest premium fuel is RON98 for 20V in japan, so RON97 definitely not enough, retard the timing. If problem still then should check injector, maybe clog.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
u mean 20v should pump atleast ron97 ?? omg im using 95 only
I do believe that is very subjective to each 20v condition. Bare in mind this is the 3rd blacktop i am driving only encountered this problem. Previous 2 car did not face such issue used Ron95 for few years. Which is why urge to seek on other possibilities.

p/s all 3 are Auto/tranny

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
check for error code first...easiest and simple thing to do...fix and rectify the problem if there is any...reset the ecu...then redo your test...

check your hoses for leaks...happened to me before...the leak mess up the map sensor reading and cause the engine to run rough...

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
check for error code first...easiest and simple thing to do...fix and rectify the problem if there is any...reset the ecu...then redo your test...

check your hoses for leaks...happened to me before...the leak mess up the map sensor reading and cause the engine to run rough...
Hi there, is that mean connecting ecu to a diagnostic device ?

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
What u describe is knocking there, running lean n too much timing can cos knock, if u retard the timing n still knock, u should check fueling system. Some 16v also knock, depend on the engine health.

What bera suggest is did your check engine light on or flashing..? If so get the error code n fix the problem.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

u mean 20v should pump atleast ron97 ?? omg im using 95 only
If your timing is already adjust by your mech then no problem running RON95.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
What u describe is knocking there, running lean n too much timing can cos knock, if u retard the timing n still knock, u should check fueling system. Some 16v also knock, depend on the engine health.

What bera suggest is did your check engine light on or flashing..? If so get the error code n fix the problem.

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

If your timing is already adjust by your mech then no problem running RON95.
About engine light, it is on. Periodically, wouldn't be all the time but mostly. Anyway am seeking mechanic for proper checking and advice this weekend. Will get back here for sharing.

ahle@

1,000 RPM
Jan 13, 2004
malaysia
last time my blacktop use BHP petro knocking kaw kaw....then use petronas less knocking...

judean

Known Member
Dec 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
last time my blacktop use BHP petro knocking kaw kaw....then use petronas less knocking...
well in my case...
it's contradict with ur case...
mine better with BHP rather than petronas...
guess it's subjective lar kot ~
:hmmmm::hmmmm:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
About engine light, it is on. Periodically, wouldn't be all the time but mostly. Anyway am seeking mechanic for proper checking and advice this weekend. Will get back here for sharing.
no need to see mech la bro...just need a piece of wire then jump te1 and e1 at your diagnostic port...turn key to on position and check your "check engine light"...if no error found it will blink rapidly non stop...if got error code...it will blink accordingly...then google it...there a ton of information available online....better yet...double check with engine repair manual...which are also available online in pdf form...

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
no need to see mech la bro...just need a piece of wire then jump te1 and e1 at your diagnostic port...turn key to on position and check your "check engine light"...if no error found it will blink rapidly non stop...if got error code...it will blink accordingly...then google it...there a ton of information available online....better yet...double check with engine repair manual...which are also available online in pdf form...
You can check detail procedure of self diagnostic HERE

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

How much work am i looking at to fit a ver.7 Brembos on a satria (both 4pot-frnt/2pot-rear)..? :bike:
I was wondering Cause the sti's brembo caliper mounts on the back-end of rotor compared to Evos that mounts them on front-end of rotor like most FWD brake.

Other than having to use a wheel dat fits.. wat bout the caliper mounting brackets etc.
Is it actually impossible? any experience on this kind of conversions..? :hmmmm:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience