2021 Honda City RS e:HEV arrives, RM106K + Honda Sensing & Honda Connect

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

The latest and world's first, twin motor e:HEV City arrives Malaysia. Badged as the City RS e:HEV, it is powered by Honda's brand new i-MMD Intelligent Multi Mode Drive which combines a dual electric motor system and brand new petrol 1.5L 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC engine which when combined, makes 109ps and 253nm. There's also a new integrated e-CVT transmission, which is not like the conventional gearbox we know, read here to know more.

It will also get autonomous driving features with Honda Sensing as well as the newly launched Honda Connect which allow owners to track their car, set alert zones and such via a mobile app. Remote engine start is a standard feature as well, so one can remotely start the car, have the /c to cool the car down on a hot day with the doors locked.

City RS e:HEV:

109ps / 253nm / twin electric motor / 1.5L 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / E-CVT / Honda Sensing / RS bodykit / Price: RM105,950.45

EV Driving Modes:
This i-MMD engine and its IPU (Intelligent Power Unit) controlled electric motors can seamlessly regulate between 3 EV driving modes:

• EV Drive
  • Hybrid Drive
  • Engine Drive
Deceleration Selector Paddles:
Drivers can use the new steering deceleration paddles to induce power regeneration or to slow the car down, all without touching the brake pedal

Exterior:

• Gloss black front grill
  • Carbon patterned front lip
  • RS bumper with diffuser
  • Trunk spoiler
  • Gloss black mirrors
  • LED headlights + DRL
  • LED fog lights
  • LED taillights
  • 16" wheels

Interior:

• 7" TFT instrument cluster
  • 8" Central display
  • Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
  • Ultrasuede seats
  • Red stitching
  • Sport foot pedal pads
  • Remote engine start
  • Electric parking brake

Honda Sensing:

• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
  • Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS)
  • Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
  • Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)
  • Road Departure Mitigation (RDM)
  • Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
  • Auto High Beam (AHB)
Standard features:

Remote Engine Start, Honda LaneWatch, Six Airbags, Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Emergency Stop Signal (ESS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Rear Seat ISOFIX I-SIZE Type and New Rear Seatbelt Reminder, Reverse Sensors with Multi-angle Reverse Camera, Auto Brake Hold (ABH), Electric Parking Brake (EPB)

Colours:

Passion Red Pearl, Modern Steel Metallic and Platinum White Pearl.

Booking:

http://www.prebook.honda.com.my to pre-book / Honda Malaysia’s authorized dealers / Honda Toll Free at 1-800-88-2020 / www.honda.com.my

Honda Malaysia Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Toichi Ishiyama said, “Today we are pleased to announce the official price for the All-New City RS e:HEV at RM105,950.45¹ with an overall package that is beyond the B-segment, complete with Next Generation Advanced Technology, Honda SENSING as well as Honda CONNECT, class-leading innovative features and a sporty exterior. I would like to convey my sincere gratitude to our customers who have booked the RS e:HEV variant and waited patiently for the official price announcement. Furthermore, we have also received overwhelming response from Malaysians, recording positive figures for the All-New City with over 20,000 bookings to date. We have successfully delivered more than 13,100 units of the All-New City to Malaysians since its official launch.”
Mr. Ishiyama added, “At the end of 2020, we maintained our leadership position as
No. 1 in the Non-National Segment for six consecutive years. We are truly humbled by the continuous support we have received from fellow Malaysians. This achievement was largely contributed by the All-New City and it has undoubtedly proven the City’s popularity as the leading Non-National B-segment model in Malaysia where customers love its overall package and attractive price.”

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Wait...i read at PT that output of 109ps and 253Nm is from the electric motor alone?

Then in PT oso initally mentioned the engine does not drive the car but later in the artice it will provide direct drive at high speed.

Does this means the engine will remain at idle despite when we are accelerating?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Wait...i read at PT that output of 109ps and 253Nm is from the electric motor alone?

Then in PT oso initally mentioned the engine does not drive the car but later in the artice it will provide direct drive at high speed.

Does this means the engine will remain at idle despite when we are accelerating?
Yeah exactly, direct drive at highway speeds, which is why it "doesn't have a transmission"

gonna paste here what i wrote on another post: Video: 2020 Honda City RS i-MMD first look

To understand the immd and the no transmission idea, one must not assume it to be a regular hybrid car. it's quite the opposite, at least mostly when driven in the city.

here are my findings, which i hope will make it easy for all to understand

- It is more like an electric car with a petrol engine
- the petrol engine assists the electric drive
- the petrol engine runs in the background until car hit highway speeds
- Motor 1 does the regen like an alternator
- Motor 2 drive the wheels
- The petrol engine runs to either, or at the same time:
- - power motor 1, to charge battery, to power motor 2, to drive the front wheels
- - power motor 1, to charge battery
- - kick in at highway speeds
- there's no transmission because:
- - the car is driven primarily by an electric motor
- - the engine runs at a constant 6th gear metaphorically

Not sure if the upcoming Honda City immd's version matches but I found this video very helpful, it's not on the 1.5L immd specifically but provides a good idea

Reactions: Izso

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Thanks for making its simple to understand.

few more questions;
1.When the car is driven around using electric motor alone, does the engine only idle?
2.When it switch to direct drive,the engine will revs higher to match the speed right? would be interrsting to see this in action.
4.Will the engine vary its rev by itself to aid charging? my understanding is the higher the engine rev, the more juice the 1st motor can produce to charge the battery.
5.will there be a situation where the battery is completely drained and the car needs to idle for certain period before it can be driven again?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I see another potential issue. that price range you either opt for a really high tech City, or top up a bit more to get a civic... that's not a tough decision

Reactions: Tom

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
another question just pops up when i woke up this morning which is how is the road tax structure?

its a hybrid but unlike most hybrid. it will be charge based on kW of the motor? as most of the time its driven by the motor plus for the 1.5 engine as its still burning fuel right?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
another question just pops up when i woke up this morning which is how is the road tax structure?

its a hybrid but unlike most hybrid. it will be charge based on kW of the motor? as most of the time its driven by the motor plus for the 1.5 engine as its still burning fuel right?
Some time ago there ZTH released an article talking about this exact thing. Taycan was ridiculously expensive and that's sort of a hybrid too.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for making its simple to understand.

few more questions;
1.When the car is driven around using electric motor alone, does the engine only idle?
2.When it switch to direct drive,the engine will revs higher to match the speed right? would be interrsting to see this in action.
4.Will the engine vary its rev by itself to aid charging? my understanding is the higher the engine rev, the more juice the 1st motor can produce to charge the battery.
5.will there be a situation where the battery is completely drained and the car needs to idle for certain period before it can be driven again?
I'm sort of assuming it based on the YouTube eHEV videos, so here goes

1- the engine will turn on whenever the car runs low on battery. Which could be a frequent thing
- Occupants may not feel a thing because it isn't connected to the driving wheels.
- Tne driving wheels are connected to motor 1
- The engine is connected to motor 2
- Engine revs will still determine amount of performance but in the form of voltage
- Engine will rev higher to charge battery and also turn Motor 1 when load is high
- There's a clutch in between allowing direct drive

2 - depends on load probably. If cruising into highway speeds, engine probably need not rev too high during direct drive since it is technically on the highest gear
- under full acceleration, engine rpm need to be high since it needs to supply all its juice to the battery and also to motor 1

5 - probably no situation where there'll be a limp phase I think. There'll always be battery charge left and the engine will always spin fast enough to supply the voltage needed to drive the wheels and charge at the same time.
- it probably can't continously deliver 250nm every second at will, only short bursts maybe
- I suspect the engine will be on quite frequently, Imagine a typical a/c. The a/c compressor only kick in when needed but the blower continues to blow consistent cool air.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I see another potential issue. that price range you either opt for a really high tech City, or top up a bit more to get a civic... that's not a tough decision
It can be tough if the City lives up to the hype,

I imagine it to be a perpetual electric car, that generates its own power, just pump petrol and go. Beats hooking up a charging cable every time.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I am genuinely curious as to how the Malaysia public will respond to this car, and I think it is a very bold move by Honda Malaysia. But personally, given the price point and feature set offered by the Perodua Ativa, not having L2 autonomous driving seems to be lacking for a new launch as both the X50 Flagship & Ativa can include it.

I love the ability to drive with a single pedal, especially when it has regenerative braking. Sorry my lazy side is talking. If anything Honda Malaysia should introduce a series of videos on YouTube to introduce this, among its other features to serve as (a) a guide to its new owners and (b) how this car is different from the normal cars and how to exploit it. Using regenerative braking also saves the brake pads and disc, leading to lower maintenance needed.

I think this car looks good, but if only its a bit wider. Now it looks narrow and tall to me, a bit like Ativa's narrow and tall shape. At the similar price point, I prefer the X50 Flagship for its overall feature set and looks over this. And the SUV offers easier ingress/egress.

But if you're taking a 7 years loan or 9 years loan...and you got the balls to buy a hybrid EV..why don't you just top up a bit and get a used 330e.

I imagine it to be a perpetual electric car, that generates its own power, just pump petrol and go. Beats hooking up a charging cable every time.
Actually I disagree with this statement. If I drive an EV, I will go home everyday, and charge at home. I would not need to make a trip to the petrol station ever again -- well maybe to pump air. It is liberating as I do not need to purposely make a trip, whereas, I go home everyday anyway. I am not purposely going to a destination because my car needs gas.

Try and visualize this. It would be even better if the work place offers free charging, you don't even need to pay for gas.

i misread your statement

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Waiting time worse if in a hurry and battery still need to be charged.......lol

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The adaptive chassis control of the Passat R Line controls the comfort level of the suspension/steering/engine response. It has 16 different variations which I did not believe until I tested driving this beauty! Not sure if this can live up to that.
Passat R Line? Are you a bot or are you high on some herbs?

nw111

Known Member
Feb 13, 2018
Terra dei Motori
Aiyo Passat bot from LYN also come here ka?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi
I have a 2005 model Proton Waja 1.6 automatic. Recently I notices that when I switched on the head lamp the "R" indicator light was on slightly when I was driving the car, and the right signal light blink faster than normal when I make a right turn.

No such problem is observed if I do not switch on the head lamp.

Any one encountered similar problem and any suggested solution ?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience