2011 Kia Sportage - In Need of Power

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
Hi,

I owned a 2011 Kia Sportage, already clocked 50k km.
So far, it is a good ride, no problem whatsoever...
The only problem that keep haunting me is, this car is seriously underpower

For those that are not familiar with Kia Sportage, you can read them here:
Kia Sportage SL 2.0L in Malaysia - technical walkaround

My question, what is the easiest way to gain significant HP & Torque?
The car is stock, no modification, only change to K&N air filter

On paper, currently this vehicle have 167HP & 197Nm torque.
My target is somewhere around 200HP and daily driven (with families..:biggrin:)

Thank you.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
""....currently this vehicle have 167HP & 197Nm torque..."

The figure is about fair for an NA engine of 2000cc.

In fact, not many standard engines that can achieve the the 100hp per 1000cc. Not even stock standard honda vtec engines. Much less KIA engines. (Honda kaki, correct me if i am wrong).

Your Sportage engine isnt made and tuned for high HP, but stronger torque in the first place. K&N filter can improve breathability of engine, but could hardly make noticeable difference. In addition, the Sportage isnt made for spirited drive, like a sedan.

The Sportage is kinda fuel guzzler. If you have really made 200hp, the consumption will be definitely high, for a daily ride car.

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
turbo charge.

Since no one makes ready off the shelf kits for Sportage.. custom make.
Ha ha ha..

Thats what i had in mind. Maybe a BOT.
What will be the cost? RM15k - 20k?
Any reputable workshop?

Also, i read in Option Malaysia Mag, HKS Universal Supercharger.. it seems like p-n-p to most cars..
That kind of things available here? What will be the cost?

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

""....currently this vehicle have 167HP & 197Nm torque..."

The figure is about fair for an NA engine of 2000cc.

In fact, not many standard engines that can achieve the the 100hp per 1000cc. Not even stock standard honda vtec engines. Much less KIA engines. (Honda kaki, correct me if i am wrong).

Your Sportage engine isnt made and tuned for high HP, but stronger torque in the first place. K&N filter can improve breathability of engine, but could hardly make noticeable difference. In addition, the Sportage isnt made for spirited drive, like a sedan.

The Sportage is kinda fuel guzzler. If you have really made 200hp, the consumption will be definitely high, for a daily ride car.
Agreed.
167HP & 197 Nm of torque attached to light chasis (for example: civic eg, satria) then its going to be superb. On paper itself, Sportage weight nearly 1.6ton (1600kg). Furthermore with all wheel drive system, i think actual wheel HP will be around 130 only (i never dyno the car before).

Personally, i believe with that kind of weight, Naza Kia should consider these spec:
1. 2.0L GDI Turbo (rated 260 HP)
2. 2.4L Petrol (rated 175 HP)
3. 2.0L CRDi Turbo Diesel (rated 134HP, but massive torque)

Based on online review and test drive, 20L GDI turbo gives you respectable performance and decent FC

Maybe at the end of the day, why we get crappy spec because of G's limitation (taxes etc) and our fuel quality.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

that power kinda OK...if its correct...

full exhaust system first...
With full exhaust system.. what do you gain?
10HP the most?

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Any kedai potong selling Sportage Turbo half cut?

:idea:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
I have test driven a stock 2jz engine slotted into a W124 merc. The drive wasnt entirely zippy because of the heavy chassis.

A good driver's car evolves around a good set of engine, setup, chassis, suspension, etc. Not just all-out power.

BOT setup is intended for mild boosting. Anything higher of boost, with stock internal, it could go kaboom. The set of forged internals could cost more than the engine itself.

Power is good. Power is additive. Power needs money too.

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
I have test driven a stock 2jz engine slotted into a W124 merc. The drive wasnt entirely zippy because of the heavy chassis.

A good driver's car evolves around a good set of engine, setup, chassis, suspension, etc. Not just all-out power.

BOT setup is intended for mild boosting. Anything higher of boost, with stock internal, it could go kaboom. The set of forged internals could cost more than the engine itself.

Power is good. Power is additive. Power needs money too.
Yup. Totally agreed.
I used to drive Putra (with 4G63 EvoIII inside), so roughly i have the idea what to expect by having a forced induction engine.

I am not all power oriented.. The 2011 Sportage package for me already above average (in terms of built quality, fitmens etc..). The only lacking is power. As i mentioned earlier, 40HP more + some healthy torque figure will do.

I think SC will suit my needs more compared to TC.
Any lead on that?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
c-u-s-t-o-m.... you need to find a reliable tuner and have them custom it for you. A HKS supercharger will set you back easily 10k on the unit alone. So you're better off with a halfcut AMR500 or something like that then custom it onto your car.

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
c-u-s-t-o-m.... you need to find a reliable tuner and have them custom it for you. A HKS supercharger will set you back easily 10k on the unit alone. So you're better off with a halfcut AMR500 or something like that then custom it onto your car.
Any suggestion where?
If possible with contact no. ..

A bit expensive won't be a problem, as long as mechanic / tuner knows what he do, and the installation is neat.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
get a turbo engine instead... 4g63 maybe?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

the engine looks like 4b11 arrangement.. or maybe K20A..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I would say drive along Jalan Horsepower in Sunway and take your pick. I personally like GT Auto. Friendly tuners Thomas and Toby and Thomas speaks English too.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
ben_gsr2s,

Is your tyre/rims fitment standard?? Big rims and fat-ass tyres makes lousy pickup.

Hadi17

Known Member
Dec 13, 2010
Johor
I would first recommend u to start with the exhaust system, then the management unit like e-manage :)

ben_gsr2s

Known Member
Apr 3, 2005
Offshore
I would say drive along Jalan Horsepower in Sunway and take your pick. I personally like GT Auto. Friendly tuners Thomas and Toby and Thomas speaks English too.
Yes. Its in my MUST do list this weekend.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

ben_gsr2s,

Is your tyre/rims fitment standard?? Big rims and fat-ass tyres makes lousy pickup.
All still standard.
Personally i didn't really like the 'bling-bling' rims.
Also, i think 17" would be better for performance. Just need to find the right rims.
BBS style maybe

As for tyres, low profile definitely a no-no. Too much 'lubang' on the road.. and the 'lubang' they patch it cincai2.. next time rain, lubang again

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

I would first recommend u to start with the exhaust system, then the management unit like e-manage :)
Been there, done that before.. with other car, not this sportage.
it is far too expensive to get a decent 40HP increment in NA engine.. a complete engine rebuild maybe?

Anybody mod NA Kia engine here?
I know a lot of NA Honda B-series, K-series, mitsu/proton engine mod.. but never heard of any Kia engine mod.. is it not worth of modifying? :confused:

Engine family-wise, it should be the same as 4B11.. but engine transplant currently not my preferred option.

Now i have SC as top priority.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Please do share what happens after visiting the shops. I'm very interested to know what happens after this.

Oh take pictures too

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i wanna ask if any 1 know how to diy speker box.
i wanna know is there certain wideness,tall,long that i have to follow to get the optimum sound,
like 8'' sub how big the box have to be, and 5'' midbass how big
any 1 can help
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience