1jzgte VS 1jzgte VVTI - V2

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
Hi guys,

referring to the old thread http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/2000cc-and-above/312422-1jzgte-vs-1jzgte-vvti.html

I would like to ask, normally between these 2 engines,

1. which is more supported by our local mechanic and tuners?

2. Which is more parts easily available locally?

The paper says:

1JZ-GTE VVTi 280 hp @ 6200 rpm
378 Nm @ 2400 rpm

1JZ-GTE 280 hp @ 6200 rpm
362 Nm @ 4800 rpm

I appreciate your response, thanks in advance!

unkle_uber

Known Member
Nov 7, 2009
Melbourne & KL
the non-vvti would be more supported by the local mechancs simply because they have done more non-vvti's than vvti's. if you can have your hands on the vvti's from the jzx100 chaser, then go for it.

It makes slightly more torque than the non-vvti's + at HALF THE REV required. Imagine getting 378nm of torque at 2400rpm, that's instant response from the throttle. Wiring work will not differ by much when dropping in the vvti engine as opposed from the non-vvti, so its basically the same.

For parts, VVTI engines usually have fewer aftermarket parts to support it especially cams, you are limited to only the exhaust cam and can't modify the intake cams. Other than that, most aftermarket parts will support the vvti engine. Again, theres' basically little difficulty in getting parts for the 1jz vvti. You didn't specify aftermarket parts or OEM parts, by either way, it is easy to source them, trust me.

The non-vvti engine is a pretty old engine and always have problems with its twin turbos. Forget about it, and settle with the vvti, its an improved version and only requires one turbo to deliver the same amount of power but more torque at half the rev required.

green

Known Member
Apr 12, 2005
kl
toyota altezza forum in here has a lot of 1jzgte vvti n non vvti engines swapped in already. no issues so far except pumps/alternators need to chg when they go faulty. engine itself is fine. stock turbos fins will burst if overboost to more than 1.3bar. but for stock boost of 0.7 is great for normal driving already

spare parts are abundant for both engines either thru toyota/wing hin or kedai potong. only thing is price, have to nego with the kedai potong.

u will also need to look for a good mechanic, he will advise on the parts

regardless, the owners are happy with their cars and some cars are 5 years old already!(with swapped engines)

the only good thing for the older 1jz non vvti is that the halfcuts are normally halfpriced to the vvti ones

kanan

500 RPM
Nov 12, 2005
KL
In the nut shell, the difference that i get are

1. Ecu bcoz one need to control the VVTI the other doesn't need
2. intake camshaft
3. exhaust manifold one with twin turbo, another single turbo
4. one without TRC , another with ECST(vvti)..

tune ability

5. one need only emanage (cheaper), another (VVTI) need emanage & v-manage (more cost)

if in one hand i have:
- 1 jz gte, single turbo AR70, emanage, 5 speed manual,

on the other hand i have:
- 1 jzgte vvti taken from toyota chaser, stock ecu, tiptronic GB 4@5 speed,

and the non vvti has attached capability

which would be more satisfying?

Attachments

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the one with the vvti will be more responsive in delivering its torque imo, u can use only emanage to tune it up and leave the vvti function to its original ecu jer