1jz E36 BMW frankensteining

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the intake manifold is one thing - the other thing is the aftermarket manifold is leaking elsewhere too. Need to take whole thing out to check for cracks.

Wastegate being replaced.

Exhaust is VERY loud and very apparent that there's a leak. And yeah looking to just weld. The manifold is extremely restrictive though. Which is one possibility the EGT was running so hot. AFR and Ign timing is within normal parameters
Wasn't your waste gate changed earlier?

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
the intake manifold is one thing - the other thing is the aftermarket manifold is leaking elsewhere too. Need to take whole thing out to check for cracks.

Wastegate being replaced.

Exhaust is VERY loud and very apparent that there's a leak. And yeah looking to just weld. The manifold is extremely restrictive though. Which is one possibility the EGT was running so hot. AFR and Ign timing is within normal parameters
Why you say the manifold is very restrictive? The collector not good? And why you say the EGT very hot? You got an EGT gauge bro?

There's no 'normal' parameters for ign timing. It could look advanced, but different engine different timing requirements. Only on the dyno you will know whether it is advanced or retard relative to the MBT timing.

Lolol, was reading the nightstalker thread and see some active threads so just join in kacau a bit. but really didn't know Izso wanted an Evo, how different life would be.
The world would've spun the other direction

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Wasn't your waste gate changed earlier?
The spring. Not the WG

Lolol, was reading the nightstalker thread and see some active threads so just join in kacau a bit. but really didn't know Izso wanted an Evo, how different life would be.
Evo was always the first target. 3, 7, 9 and 10. But after speaking to owners, friends and getting opinions I opted not to be a dumbass. But apparently my latest choice was equally dumbass. Sigh.

Why you say the manifold is very restrictive? The collector not good? And why you say the EGT very hot? You got an EGT gauge bro?
Manifolds glowing red is a pretty good indicator imho. And a leak happening after a few red glowing runs is a pretty good indicator of hot EGT no?

There's no 'normal' parameters for ign timing. It could look advanced, but different engine different timing requirements. Only on the dyno you will know whether it is advanced or retard relative to the MBT timing.
No there is a certain range right. 60 deg for ign timing is not normal.

The world would've spun the other direction
Why la. Is me owning an Evo such a far out idea?

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
The spring. Not the WG

Evo was always the first target. 3, 7, 9 and 10. But after speaking to owners, friends and getting opinions I opted not to be a dumbass. But apparently my latest choice was equally dumbass. Sigh.

Manifolds glowing red is a pretty good indicator imho. And a leak happening after a few red glowing runs is a pretty good indicator of hot EGT no?

No there is a certain range right. 60 deg for ign timing is not normal.

We're all financial dumbasses for even thinking about modifying cars in the first place :rofl:

And no, glowing manifold is perfectly normal, unless you're talking about glowing Bright Orange. My EGT gauge shows me 800+c when touge'ing, and my old 4g18 setup with smaller turbo and higher boost gave me 900c EGT. And it's definitely glowing red hot during those situations. You see it glowing red on the dyno or like 1-2 minutes after your last pull on a touge or something?

Telling me a figure still does not justify relatively 'correct' timing because 'correct' timing at idle and at full load 1bar boost at 6000rpm is completely different. It can be 60deg on idle, but 15deg in boost for all I know, which is why there is a map for ignition timing and not a graph, or a single digit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmN_Q4YS55g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4QTCfg7tc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPHKwoo8fk

speaking of EGT and ign timing, there was once when the cold start valve on my TB fell out causing massive vacuum leak, making the engine almost hit red line on it's own with no throttle input, I had to reduce the engine power by severely retarding the ignition timing, somewhere around 0, probably negative but can't remember. Driving around at 2000-3000rpm with no throttle at all, my EGT warning triggered warning me of EGT's hitting 900c lol. Had to advance the ign slightly to prevent my engine from melting

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I thought we all here had greatly encouraged you to get an an Evo, no?
Should've stick to the original plan and get an Evo leh. :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
We're all financial dumbasses for even thinking about modifying cars in the first place :rofl:
Well, I would disagree. It's something that makes me happy. Kinda like women and their shoes/handbags, some guys and their tech gadgets, for me it's cars and modifying them. Financially speaking if it makes me happy it's a good thing. Just that I wish I had the ratio correct. As in my bank account vs my spending ratio.

And no, glowing manifold is perfectly normal, unless you're talking about glowing Bright Orange. My EGT gauge shows me 800+c when touge'ing, and my old 4g18 setup with smaller turbo and higher boost gave me 900c EGT. And it's definitely glowing red hot during those situations. You see it glowing red on the dyno or like 1-2 minutes after your last pull on a touge or something?
Oh that's good to know. Anyway, the tuner assures me the ignition timing and everything is set correctly. Just need to fix the leaks and retune for finality.

That also includes those insisting on buying non "standard" cars lol...
Aiya give chance la. I honestly thought this was a simple fixup, tweak and drive. I honestly did not expect to do this much with the car. This is apparent because I sent my car for upholstery first. I didn't expect so much mechanical issues.

What about the 7 & 9? Their diff is it?
Difference? TBH the main difference for me was age and price. I know they are different mechanically and tune wise, but realistically speaking I was only looking at price and age.

I thought we all here had greatly encouraged you to get an an Evo, no?
Should've stick to the original plan and get an Evo leh. :biggrin:
Should've would've could've but didn't. No need to rub salt into the wound la. Already pus infested and on antibiotics lor.

I have a different opinion. I support his idea of going with the 1JZ powered BMW but I think he should have picked one which has a stock turbo.
Correction, I should've gone for a 1JZ powered bimmer with stock everything. I just came across a stock 2JZ powered E39 auto and OMG I am in love. RM39k too

Should've would've could've but too bad.

Usually does if from stock.....lol:rofl:
You know me too well. HAhaha

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

yesterday my GF car windows was smashed on the driver side. item lost is some coins,cd player,cds.
happened in sg chua area(behind Venus) according to resident there ,few car in the area received the same fate
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience