17" to 18" rims

magnificolo

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all situ,
Currently I'm on 17" rims with 14kg each. Thinking of upgrade to 18" rims with lighter weight, say around 10 kg each. How would it fares in terms of ride comfort and fuel consumption?

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
AFAIK apart from the wheel's weight, the width of the tyres plays a role in FC too

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
i've changed my rims from 16" to 18" long time ago.. from 205/60/16 to 235/40/18.. and yes the 18" rims is 3 pieces lightweight.. as i remembered there is no different on fc.. but i suffer when going into narrow basement, parking and even u turn.. not to mention almost RM1k/tyre for a Conti CSC3 :motz:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i've changed my rims from 16" to 18" long time ago.. from 205/60/16 to 235/40/18.. and yes the 18" rims is 3 pieces lightweight.. as i remembered there is no different on fc.. but i suffer when going into narrow basement, parking and even u turn.. not to mention almost RM1k/tyre for a Conti CSC3 :motz:
Why? your size conversion is correct only 1% diameter different or tyres too wide touching inside fender?
Can try GT Radial or Nexen tyres for lower budget (no offense meant).....

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

Hi all situ,
Currently I'm on 17" rims with 14kg each. Thinking of upgrade to 18" rims with lighter weight, say around 10 kg each. How would it fares in terms of ride comfort and fuel consumption?
What is original tyre size? Saving weight on rims is one thing, have to get lighter tyres too if want to save weight totally...conversion must be of right size too....

magnificolo

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
What is original tyre size? Saving weight on rims is one thing, have to get lighter tyres too if want to save weight totally...conversion must be of right size too....[/QUOTE]

Sonata yf stock rim, 215/55/17.. I don't really understand the logic here...

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
Why? your size conversion is correct only 1% diameter different or tyres too wide touching inside fender?
Can try GT Radial or Nexen tyres for lower budget (no offense meant).....

maybe due to wider tyre.. it didn't touch any of them.. but turning radius become bigger..

i bought the rims second hand.. it comes together with the tyres. conti csc3..
but only 15% thread left.. surprisingly the performance in both dry and wet is still excellent.!
aquaplaning also still acceptable even with 15% thread left.. that's why i'm hooked with this tyre. :biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What is original tyre size? Saving weight on rims is one thing, have to get lighter tyres too if want to save weight totally...conversion must be of right size too....

Original size 215/55R17 convert to 18" will be 235/45R18.
What I meant was changing to lighter 18" rim, so when buying tyres if can get lighter tyres too will be better. Tyres like GY F1 Asy 2 are made lighter size for size with other brands....

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

maybe due to wider tyre.. it didn't touch any of them.. but turning radius become bigger..

i bought the rims second hand.. it comes together with the tyres. conti csc3..
but only 15% thread left.. surprisingly the performance in both dry and wet is still excellent.!
aquaplaning also still acceptable even with 15% thread left.. that's why i'm hooked with this tyre. :biggrin:
Continental price are like Michelin price, sky high......:banghead:

Last edited:

magnificolo

Jun 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Original size 215/55R17 convert to 18" will be 235/45R18.
What I meant was changing to lighter 18" rim, so when buying tyres if can get lighter tyres too will be better. Tyres like GY F1 Asy 2 are made lighter size for size with other ..

Thanks for your enlightenment..meaning so i may at least maintain the fc or slight increase.. Yet i could still compromise a Lil of ride comfort right?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thanks for your enlightenment..meaning so i may at least maintain the fc or slight increase.. Yet i could still compromise a Lil of ride comfort right?
Oh! for ride comfort going down to 45 series from 55 series and from 215 to 235 width, will sure be more bumpy.....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Oh! for ride comfort going down to 45 series from 55 series and from 215 to 235 width, will sure be more bumpy.....
Yes, there'll be a drop of about 1.2cm of sidewall height/thickness, so it will be a bit stiffer. But IMHO will still be comfortable enough cause 235/45 still has about 10.6cm of sidewall, so still relatively thick enough, but again one's preference of comfort is usually different than others. I personally would not go below 10cm of sidewall.

Also agree with the weight of the tires even though might not be more difficult to choose/differentiate between them (I think max the difference is <1kg per tire). Note that even though you go with lighter rims, your 18' tire might end up be heavier than your stock 17', so there might be a slight trade off. The tire I found the lightest so far based on the data is the Yokohama Advan Sport, then Toyo T1 Sport.

In terms of FC, it should improve just a bit. The lighter you can go, the better the difference. If you can afford forged Japanese rims, it can be only 8-9kg in 18x8, so can save 5-6kg per rim, so total saving can be 20kg or more for the whole car! You should also notice improvement in braking and pick up.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
prices of 18'' rims these days have gone down. Very attractive actually. Buying a set of rim is basically 1 off, or 1 time purchase.

Buying the 18" tayar is the killer here. Expensive, like other forummers mentioned before.
Remember, tayar has a limited lifespan. Need replacement when time is up.
Rim will last long-long time, if you take care of it.

Please dont use 18" rim with tayar celup or bundle tyres. So damn malu (and dangerous).

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
prices of 18'' rims these days have gone down. Very attractive actually. Buying a set of rim is basically 1 off, or 1 time purchase.

Buying the 18" tayar is the killer here. Expensive, like other forummers mentioned before.
Remember, tayar has a limited lifespan. Need replacement when time is up.
Rim will last long-long time, if you take care of it.

Please dont use 18" rim with tayar celup or bundle tyres. So damn malu (and dangerous).
True, brother. Seen many with nice bling bilng rims, but really cheapo tyres......:banghead:

nd4ever

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
KL, PJ & S'ban
www.facebook.com
If u change your current 17" wheels to 18" lightweight wheels, u might have better fuel consumption but also depends on your car's engine output too. If it's underpowered, then your fuel consumption will be higher compared to running with 17".

As for comfort, u can totally forget about it as by swapping the 17" to 18" u'll be fitting in lower profile tyres which we all knew that low profile tyres doesn't gives u comfort. Bigger wheels are meant for looks & a bit improvement on the handling aspects of the car.

Continental brand of tyres are bloody expensive especially for its top of the range series like Sport Contact 3 & 5, same goes to Michelin too. Please do not underestimate those Neuton, Nexen, Achilles brands of tyres as they gives u value for money kind of performance on par with those bigger brand names.

I've been running with 17" then 18" & now 19" on my rides since years ago due to I love rides with huge wheels! Never look back on it ever since. :wavey::driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In the same event, Bermaz Motor also introduced a diesel option for its mid-size crossover, the CX-5 SkyActiv-D.

What's the deal?

Like the Mazda6, this new CX-5 SkyActiv-D is also equipped with Mazda's super-efficient and environmentally-friendly diesel...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience