Review: Firestorm Ignition Coil Booster

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Greetings folks :wavey:

Many automotive users like us would always find a way to improve our ride in the sense of performance, aesthetics, fuel consumption, ah-beng-ness, etc etc. The car makers will not give us everything unless we give them our everything. Therefore we can find many after market parts out there, anywhere. :driver:

While some would spend thousands to churn what's from their car engine, others would only want to spend perhaps a few hundred bucks or less than that in modifying their ride to improve 1 second of 0-100 sprint time. Hence we often see products that seems so miracle as claimed by the manufacturer, but they do not cost a fortune. For example, Surbo. It was a hit last time when many people are asking about it and some even swore by it. :listen:

There are Surbo, cyclone, mini air compressor that supposed to function like a mini supercharger, etc etc. They cost so little, but claims so give up to 20-30% hp and fuel efficiency. This made many of us wonder...why arent they selling well nowadays? I guess I dont have to answer that question, do I?

So I came across this product, called Firestorm Ignition Coil Booster. Just like the small tiny mini gadgets that are said to give this and that bla bla bla, the Firestorm (FS) also claim that it can improve power and fuel efficiency, but did not state by how much. They even have a video to support their claim that the product works:-

FireStorm Ignition Coil Booster.flv - YouTube

I searched for its reviews and surprisingly, most reviews are positive. There are a few negative reviews as well of course, as some does not agree that it works in their vehicle. I requested some data and explanation from the seller, as below:-

The FireStorm works by increasing the voltage frequency as in a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) circuit.

The voltage pulses at HIGH FREQUENCY and this directly LOWERS THE CURRENT, which means that the electronics and ignition coils do not get as hot as in normal operation before the FireStorm is installed due to the lower operating current, as well as due to the increased efficiency of the voltage.

Other voltage amplifier boosters like the MSD, Haltech HEI and other devices that raise the voltage to 16V, 18V and up to 20V will also raise the input current which causes more heat in the electronics and ignition coils. This will shorten the life of the electronics in the engine.

The FireStorm is NOT A CAPACITOR or VOLTAGE STABILIZER as such circuits will need Grounding to the car body or to the car battery negative (-) terminal. The FireStorm Booster is installed in a series configuration similar to the original fuse without any additional wires.

DO NOTE the wire position. If terbalik, wngine wont be able to start.
A DYNO Chart test result on a Proton Preve IAFM. The square black spot is actually the seller's name so I blacked it out. Oh ya, simota is out of the discussion ya.

There is a 1.7 bhp of increase using FS compared to stock. That is 2.2% of increase. Too bad the torque is not displayed. An increase of 2.2%, in my opinion, is negligible.

So performance increase is out of the question. So it is all up to the part that got me interested, the fuel consumption. This simple test of mine is all about fuel consumption (poor man, no money pump petrol). If you would like to know my butt-feel, I would say that after installing FS, the low power band is smoother. It feels like you have just serviced your car.

Instead of testing using the hypothesis "FS can improve fuel efficiency", I am giving it a biased test. Why I say biased? You will find out soon, read on.

NOTE: THE HYPOTHESIS, PARAMETERS, PROCEDURES, RESULTS, and CONCLUSION ARE ALL MY OWN FINDINGS AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SELLERS. I AM NETHIER A SELLER NOR HAVE ANY NORMAL OR ABNORMAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THE SELLER, NOR HAVE ANY BENEFITS FROM THE SELLER. THE WHOLE PROCESS CAN BE DISCUSSED AND ARGUED.

Test subject: Firestorm Ignition Coil Booster

Hypothesis: Firestorm does not improve fuel efficiency

Car: Perodua Myvi 1.5

Fuel: Petronas Primax 95

Procedure:

1. Pump in full tank and install FS
2. Drive normally. Adapt when necessary
3. When fuel indicator reaches reserve level, pump to full tank, milage and liter used are recorded.
4. Repeat step 1-3 for 2 times (3 tanks with FS in total)
5. 4th tank, uninstall FS
6. Drive normally. Adapt when necessary
4. Service the car !! <--- this is the biased part. My car had already done 9000km when the 3rd tank with FS finished. The first tank without FS was actually done with 200km before serviced, and 200km after serviced.
5. Fuel reaches reserve level, refill, and milage and liter are recorded.
6. Repeat set 5 until the 3rd tank.

Basically I did 3 tanks with FS, and 3 tanks without FS.

Result:

With FS:

1st tank - 70% highway cruise at 80-100kmh, 30% traffic jam and city driving.
- RM56.95
- 29.97 L
- 498.7 km
- 16.64 km/l

2nd tank - 50% highway cruise, 50% traffic jam and city driving.
- RM60.43
- 31.80 L
- 479.0 km
- 15.06 km/l

3rd tank - 70% traffic jam and city driving, 30% highway cruise
- RM55.18
- 29.04 L
- 419.0 km
- 14.42 km/l

Without FS:

1st tank - 80% highway cruise, 20% traffic jam. 200km done after servicing.
- RM58.02
- 30.54 L
- 450.3 km
- 14.75 km/l

2nd tank - 70% traffic jam and city driving, 30% highway cruise
- RM58.07
- 30.56 L
- 421.3 km
- 13.79 km/l

3rd tank - 50% highway, 50% traffic
- RM58.69
- 30.89 L
- 443.8 km
- 14.36 km/l

Average fuel consumption with FS : 15.373 km/l (0.12 cent/km)
Average fuel consumption w/o FS : 14.300 km/l (0.13 cent/km)
Difference : 1.073 km/l (0.01 cent/km)

Conclusion: Hypothesis rejected. Findings show that FS help improve fuel efficiency by an average of 1.073 km/l

So, if my findings are accurate, lets calculate the return of investment. This device cost RM230 the time I bought it. Please bear in mind that no one is held responsible for price being displayed here and that the price might be changed from time to time or from various sellers. The price is only a reference for the ROI calculation.

Assumptions: 1 tank per week (30 Liter), RM1.90 for RON95.

1 tank will give additional 32.19 km. Lets take the average of 15.373 km/l, thus equivalent to 2.094 L of petrol benefits. That would be RM3.98 of savings per full tank of 30L.

RM230 / RM3.98 = 58 times of 30L = 58 weeks = 14.5 months = 1 year 2.5 months

Advantage:
1. Easy installation in most car
2. Save fuel (based on this test only)
3. Lifetime warranty

Disadvantage:
1. No receipt
2. Until now I still do not know who is the manufacturer. I only know that it is from Penang.

My understanding on how it saves fuel (please correct me if I were wrong):

Our car AFR is pre-set to a certain figure by the manufacturer. The ECU would adjust the parameters based on the feedback from the sensors (MAF, O2, knock, etc). A bigger spark would result in a faster flame propagation thus yielding a better fuel burning completion. Fire needs oxygen and the bigger the flame, the more oxygen it would consume. The O2 sensor will sense a low reading of oxygen (running rich) and reduces the amount of fuel to be injected.

Thank you for reading. Happy driving :driver:

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Sunway folks suggested ETC for my lousy dbw daily ride but I opted to try the twice cheaper firestorm after a short drive on friend's car installed with one.
Initially, nothing change but the next day, I could feel the difference in performance(ecu adapt?): Better throttle respond! I could say the lag(although still there) is almost eliminated. Much better acceleration out of the block.
This may not related but on the way to my office, there is this uphill slope at the traffic light where my car usually stay still when the gear is in D (experimenting without throttle or brake help), after installing firestorm, car no longer stay still at the same spot. Will slowly move forward I have to press the brake..lol.
Was having fun with it until another issue appear.
With firestorm on, the car now had this pulling effect where you're being push to the seat every time you tap the pedal harder...lol. Even my other half is complaining, with more stop and go, she feel giddy :girl:. Was using standard spark plug though.
As for the fc, better acceleration mean more fun, thus, firestrom encouraged my right foot to have more fun:vroam:. Am still filling the same amount of petrol every week though!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Nice writeup. Now if someone wouldn't mind loaning me a set to test on my Wira. But I wonder how is it different from my high power discharge spark plug cables. In fact the cable Youtube vid is more impressive than the FS one.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Nice writeup!

Looked like the above is demo on Ignition Coil cars.
What about those with electronic spark controllers? Can they use this?

Ages ago, I had the same thing for my Nissan Sunny .. also from Penang, no receipt, from a workshop... I still have the power booster, removed from my Sunny before I sent it to death sentence (junk yard)...

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Nice writeup. Now if someone wouldn't mind loaning me a set to test on my Wira. But I wonder how is it different from my high power discharge spark plug cables. In fact the cable Youtube vid is more impressive than the FS one.
You mean Best-i? I have been hunting for that. Don't know where to get that for my car model. Please advise if you know.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I love your writeup and feel positive about the product cvkit17. I mean it makes perfect sense scientifically unlike one of those magnetic fuel saver and air compressor bullshit.

However, there is just one concern about this product. I do agree with the idea of making the spark slightly bigger and stronger. But in your video, the spark seems to be too big and not in a consistent shape anymore (not a straight down spark) but instead arcs all over. The reason for my concern is that I have heard some friends who used MSD and has problem with holes in their piston. The reason being that the spark is too big and it does not just occur between the spark plug clearance. But it actually travels out of the gap and strike the piston. In other words, the piston acts as the ground electrode.

Just curious, any of such cases you heard with this product? Any warranty that it is safe by the shop? If it is safe, I would really love to have this in my car.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Sunway folks suggested ETC for my lousy dbw daily ride but I opted to try the twice cheaper firestorm after a short drive on friend's car installed with one.
Initially, nothing change but the next day, I could feel the difference in performance(ecu adapt?): Better throttle respond! I could say the lag(although still there) is almost eliminated. Much better acceleration out of the block.
This may not related but on the way to my office, there is this uphill slope at the traffic light where my car usually stay still when the gear is in D (experimenting without throttle or brake help), after installing firestorm, car no longer stay still at the same spot. Will slowly move forward I have to press the brake..lol.
Was having fun with it until another issue appear.
With firestorm on, the car now had this pulling effect where you're being push to the seat every time you tap the pedal harder...lol. Even my other half is complaining, with more stop and go, she feel giddy :girl:. Was using standard spark plug though.
As for the fc, better acceleration mean more fun, thus, firestrom encouraged my right foot to have more fun:vroam:. Am still filling the same amount of petrol every week though!
If you adapt to the changes in acceleration, you can save fuel. That's what I did. They claim that it works best in auto car coz auto car low power band isn't that good. How long have you been using it?

Thanks. I can loan you my unit..but to install in a wira it requires of wire cutting...I've asked the seller if there any way other than cutting the wire, unfortunately, the answer was no.

Nice writeup!

Looked like the above is demo on Ignition Coil cars.
What about those with electronic spark controllers? Can they use this?

Ages ago, I had the same thing for my Nissan Sunny .. also from Penang, no receipt, from a workshop... I still have the power booster, removed from my Sunny before I sent it to death sentence (junk yard)...
Thanks! This product is installed in the fuse box so I guess it can still be installed if using ESC. Oh ya, the seller mentioned that it won't work much on heavily modified car coz can't really feel anything..

You mean Best-i? I have been hunting for that. Don't know where to get that for my car model. Please advise if you know.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I love your writeup and feel positive about the product cvkit17. I mean it makes perfect sense scientifically unlike one of those magnetic fuel saver and air compressor bullshit.

However, there is just one concern about this product. I do agree with the idea of making the spark slightly bigger and stronger. But in your video, the spark seems to be too big and not in a consistent shape anymore (not a straight down spark) but instead arcs all over. The reason for my concern is that I have heard some friends who used MSD and has problem with holes in their piston. The reason being that the spark is too big and it does not just occur between the spark plug clearance. But it actually travels out of the gap and strike the piston. In other words, the piston acts as the ground electrode.

Just curious, any of such cases you heard with this product? Any warranty that it is safe by the shop? If it is safe, I would really love to have this in my car.
Thanks bro. The piston is made of hardened material...if the arc can put a hole on the surface, it must have been a very strong one? I'm not too sure bout this too but so far I have not come across this kind of negative comments/reviews before la. The negative comments are:

1. Doesn't give much rasa to the car.
2. Fuel consumption still quite the same.
3. Got one case where the FS fuse burnt and the engine stopped in a sudden. The owner drove to the workshop, had the FS removed then engine worked again. So if anybody using this and encountered sudden engine failure like this, gotta check the fuse on the FS. Even if no FS also check la haha coz still has fuse separating the electrical loop.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Thanks! This product is installed in the fuse box so I guess it can still be installed if using ESC. Oh ya, the seller mentioned that it won't work much on heavily modified car coz can't really feel anything..
Aik.. you assumed my car heavily modded ah... :rolleyes: Nothing inside..
kekek..

Hmmm.. I realised electronic spark type had individual boosters for each plugs.. maybe some reasons why...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro. Izso, let me know what type to fuse used in the fuse box for the ignition?

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Aik.. you assumed my car heavily modded ah... :rolleyes: Nothing inside..
kekek..

Hmmm.. I realised electronic spark type had individual boosters for each plugs.. maybe some reasons why...
Should be able to use, because they fit it to the fuse box where the fuse for the ignition is...

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If you adapt to the changes in acceleration, you can save fuel. That's what I did. They claim that it works best in auto car coz auto car low power band isn't that good. How long have you been using it?
I like the changes as the feel is more like my weekend ride.
And I adapt to it by accelerating even higher...more often! :rofl:
Even with much more 4k rpm revving, I still refill the same amount of petrol every week. I guess it does save fuel if I drive softly.
Its works best on auto as it help in minimizing the lag and gear slip feel.

Almost a year. Recently transfer to my weekend ride but very minimal performance change on manual tranny with iridium spark plug and Quadcore cables.

peterlm

Known Member
Nov 3, 2011
Penang
The holes in the piston is caused by over-lean Air-Fuel ratio. All cars are set to run rich by the ECU. If you install an Air Fuel Controller or piggyback ECU where you can adjust the Air Fuel Ratio, the tuner may tune the AF Ratio too lean which will lead to pinging/knocking and the combustion gas will be too hot to the point that the softer aluminium alloy piston may get pit holes due to the pressure from the compression and burning of the air fuel mixture.

High voltage Boosters which increase the voltage to 16V, 18V and even 20V will also increase the imput current into the ignition coil which in turn gives a bigger and fatter spark. The higher the current, the hotter the ignition coil, spark plugs and engine becomes.

Similar to the arc welding set that is used to weld metal together; the voltage of the arc welder is about 24V or so but the current can be anything from 60A-250A. This is why you are not electrocuted when you touch the welding terminals. The high current is what melts the electrode.

The FireStorm does not raise the current but may raise the voltage a little in a PWM methodology as you have made from my quote below.

The FireStorm works by increasing the voltage frequency as in a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) circuit.

The voltage pulses at HIGH FREQUENCY and this directly LOWERS THE CURRENT, which means that the electronics and ignition coils do not get as hot as in normal operation before the FireStorm is installed due to the lower operating current, as well as due to the increased efficiency of the voltage.

Other voltage amplifier boosters like the MSD, Haltech HEI and other devices that raise the voltage to 16V, 18V and up to 20V will also raise the input current which causes more heat in the electronics and ignition coils. This will shorten the life of the electronics in the engine.

The FireStorm is NOT A CAPACITOR or VOLTAGE STABILIZER as such circuits will need Grounding to the car body or to the car battery negative (-) terminal. The FireStorm Booster is installed in a series configuration similar to the original fuse without any additional wires.

Over 7000 units of the FireStorm have been sold and we do not have any complaints of engine damage yet!

Cheers.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The holes in the piston is caused by over-lean Air-Fuel ratio. All cars are set to run rich by the ECU. If you install an Air Fuel Controller or piggyback ECU where you can adjust the Air Fuel Ratio, the tuner may tune the AF Ratio too lean which will lead to pinging/knocking and the combustion gas will be too hot to the point that the softer aluminium alloy piston may get pit holes due to the pressure from the compression and burning of the air fuel mixture.

High voltage Boosters which increase the voltage to 16V, 18V and even 20V will also increase the imput current into the ignition coil which in turn gives a bigger and fatter spark. The higher the current, the hotter the ignition coil, spark plugs and engine becomes.

Similar to the arc welding set that is used to weld metal together; the voltage of the arc welder is about 24V or so but the current can be anything from 60A-250A. This is why you are not electrocuted when you touch the welding terminals. The high current is what melts the electrode.

The FireStorm does not raise the current but may raise the voltage a little in a PWM methodology as you have made from my quote below.

Cheers.
Hi Peter, good to have you to explain the technical parts. I would love to see more technical discussions among us with very little or no marketing replies.

I was made aware of another version of FS which is the Super version. What is the difference in technical terms?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Dude,

I posted a link to their site here. It's still valid. Just mail them directly

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newfor...ythbuster-does-it-work-spark-plug-cables.html

Bro. Izso, let me know what type to fuse used in the fuse box for the ignition?
I have no idea. I haven't checked that before. Why?

Question to Peterlm : how does increasing the voltage affect the coil? Would it fry it faster since its output is now higher than what it's designed for?

peterlm

Known Member
Nov 3, 2011
Penang
The Super is installed in the same manner as the Normal but the Super is 2cm longer than the Normal. Price is also double of the Normal. But the Super gives about 3x faster acceleration than the Normal model. The acceleration is faster as you put more pressure on the pedal and the engine is even more willing to rev all the way to red line. The Normal will give a lighter acceleration but does not accelerate as fast after 3000rpm.

The ignition coil or Coil over Plug will not fry since the FireStorm does not increase the input current into the coils. It increases the voltage frequency as in a PWM circuit. You can see how this is done by looking at this video titled FUNKENINDUKTOR in Youtube. The demonstration shows the current being increased ubtil the sparks start then they increase the frequency oscillation which causes what you see in the FireStorm demo.

You will notice the sparks are thin in the video as well as in the FireStorm demo. The thin sparks indicate that the current is low. High current sparks are fat sparks.

Cheers.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The Super is installed in the same manner as the Normal but the Super is 2cm longer than the Normal. Price is also double of the Normal. But the Super gives about 3x faster acceleration than the Normal model. The acceleration is faster as you put more pressure on the pedal and the engine is even more willing to rev all the way to red line. The Normal will give a lighter acceleration but does not accelerate as fast after 3000rpm.

The ignition coil or Coil over Plug will not fry since the FireStorm does not increase the input current into the coils. It increases the voltage frequency as in a PWM circuit. You can see how this is done by looking at this video titled FUNKENINDUKTOR in Youtube. The demonstration shows the current being increased ubtil the sparks start then they increase the frequency oscillation which causes what you see in the FireStorm demo.

You will notice the sparks are thin in the video as well as in the FireStorm demo. The thin sparks indicate that the current is low. High current sparks are fat sparks.

Cheers.
Erm...you still did not explained the super technically haha..is it using a higher frequency than the normal one? I would like to know how the super version can give more benefit than the normal one.

So can I conclude that the single spark using FS is of lower energy, but has more number of sparks than usual? Is that how it works?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know where to custom 15x8inch to 15x10inch rims ??

or anyone have those size of rims .. to sells?

:wavey:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience